“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amiens Street | Dublin 1, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #50 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Worst hotel out paid 200 Euro,s for 2 nights for poor accommodation food and service! Most definitely won't be back. Save your money look for something better.
No wifi rooms are very outdated needs a total revamp and some customer service training the 1st man we met at reception 1st floor was rude and abrupt nothing nice to say, appeared a hassle to answer some general questions regards to local knowledge.
However the location was pretty good close to trains and buses, for those wanting to sight see.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Turkish first
Offaly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We choose North Star for our two night stay during the Leonard Cohen concert. We were made very welcome by all staff. Ciaran did hotel proud sorting bus and luas journeys for us. Thanks. The room was lovely food excellent . We would highly and have already recommended North Star to our friends and families

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
northstarhotelier, Duty Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Mary Clare L,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kieran our concierge is very popular with our guests.
I will pass on your kind words.

Kind Regards,

Damien
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a Welcome to Dublin pack. I think this hotel has 2 ratings as the part we stay at was 3 stars but they do have Premier suites as well. Don't know how you book those rooms or whether it is for business travellers

Hotel is suited close to transport, Tram, bus station and trains. Taxi are also situated across the road. We had airport transfer tickets included in our package and that bus stop is also within walking distance.

The worst thing about this hotel is, reception is located on the 2nd floor and you have to carry your bags up 12 stairs as there is no lift. We were on the 2nd floor (room 260) so there was another 4 stairs up to our room as the hotel is on all different levels. There was a lift in the back section of the hotel which took you to the gym and breakfast area and the Premier suites.

Bathroom was big, well bigger then most. Tea/coffee in room and aircon. The mattresses and pillows had seen better days and should have been replaced years ago. We had a double and single in our room but both had big banana shaped dints in them so you were always rolling to the centre. We also had roadworks happening outside our room which reception said they were unaware was happening!!! but they gave us free breakfast as compensation (Value 21.90 euro).

Breakfast was great. Large variety and full hot Irish breakfast. Easy walk to O'Connell street (main street) via Talbot street. Short walk to the start of the Hop on Hop off bus stop as well.

Resident's lounge room with vending machines and pay internet and a printer. Overall we would probably stay here again because of the location

Pembroke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed here for Ireland v Wales rugby match. Short walk to city centre. Room comfortable and fine for 3 guys who weren't likely to spend much time in the room ! Good staff at reception and in the bar. Plenty of bars close by and not too much staggering distance from Temple Bar.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Floral Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed one night in the North Star Hotel. The best thing about was probably the location. You had to carry your luggage up about 10 stairs to get to reception, there is no elevator. The place looked dingy and beat up. We asked for a double room and got a triple, in the back of the hotel and heard the train everytime it went by. We were not inspired to eat breakfast there. Since it was the last night of our trip and just a place to spend the night after an exhausting day it didn't impact our vacation, but I wouldn't stay there as a hotel choice for more than that. They charge 5 euro each for a shuttle to the airport and 4.95 euro to use the internet for an hour. The rooms and entire hotel was very dingy and dated as well. When I see the pictures on-line I have to laugh it looks nothing like that. They do have apparently "upgraded" rooms for a larger price. We paid 90 euro 127 with taxes etc. If I stayed longer I might have opted for the upgrade. I really don't complain much, but besides the location it didn't offer much.

Room Tip: Try not to get one in the back of the hotel the train runs by quite frequently
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights and really enjoyed our visit. The room was very clean and tidy and the bed was heavenly. Probably the best hotel bed I've ever slept in - really big, soft with plenty of pillows. It took us a bit of time to find the hotel but once we knew where we were going it was easy.

There isnt a lot directly around the hotel that we took notice of however, I'm sure there is places to eat/drink nearby. It's right next to the train station which was really convenient and near to the bus station. However, we had no noise at all from either.

The walk is fairly short to the main street. If we were to come to Dublin again we would definitely stay here or recommend it however, I personally didnt fall in love with Dublin as a city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very easy to get to from the Hotel, I took the Airlink to Connelly Station and it was right there. This hotel was about a 20 minute walk from the Temple Bar area or you could take the Luas from the Tram station across the road (1.60 if you stayed in the zone). This tram would also take you to the Jameson Distillery and the Guinness Store house. I found that it was a little far out of the way and I would have liked to stay close to Temple bar but it was sold out because of the Navy vs Notre Dame game. We ended up paying 200 euro’s a night and when I told the locals about it they couldn’t believe it! No rooms were available until after 4pm so they upgraded us to a suite. The suite was very large, three beds and it had a hair dryer. No Fridge, no clock and no tissue paper. The room backed on to an alley with an apartment behind it but there always seemed to be people out there talking loudly and the windows didn’t close all the way. Wireless was NOT included and cost 3 euro for the first 20 minutes (pretty much every pub had free wireless). The bathroom was okay, shower worked fine. The hallways looked way nicer than the rooms oh! And the doors always slammed so at night when I was trying to sleep all I could here was people slamming doors! I had to check out by 11:30 so I asked them to hold my bags and they charged me 3 euro per bag. I tried to tell them that at 200 per night they could hold my bags but they wouldn’t budge so I paid the 3 euros… But back to the upsides, it was clean, beds were pretty good, the concierge service was amazing, the guys were able to help me find everything I wanted. I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay away from that back Alley as it's really loud!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to North Star Hotel? Share your experiences!