“Great location, not so great if you like sleep” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Arlington Hotel Temple Bar

You added Arlington Hotel Temple Bar to your Saves list
Arlington Hotel Temple Bar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lord Edward Street | Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Ireland (Formerly "The Parliament Hotel") (South City Centre)   |
Ranked #81 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Akron, New York
“Great location, not so great if you like sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

This place get's 50 out of 50 for location. It was right in the middle of everything; Temple Bar, Dublin Castle, Trinity College, The River Liffey, The Guinness Storehouse, Jamison Distillery... Why drive? Hell, just walk! The furthest walk was from the hotel to the Guinness Storehouse, all of 20 minutes and a great way to see and feel the city. Restaurants were EVERYWHERE and you could have anything! I saw a Lebanese and Persian restaurant or if you want something quick there were two SPAR stores within a 5 minute walk. Need supplies? The Tesco Supermarket is right in Temple Bar 10 minute walk away and you can toss back a few pints at all the world famous pubs! Sick of walking but need some whiskey? The bar right in the hotel can quench your thirst for prices a little cheaper than the pubs right in Temple Bar.

Hotel Staff gets a 40 out of 50. After I flew in from JFK on a red-eye transatlantic flight the night clerk informed me I couldn't check in until 2pm (!!) I had emailed the property a few weeks prior and was told it wouldn't be a problem. However I didn't print the email and he was at least very nice about it. After he left an hour later I inquired with the morning clerk if I could stow my bag and explore the city. She pulled up my reservation and immediately apologized and gave me a room. That was a nice gesture and I was able to bag 3 hours sleep before hitting the town. The next day, after consuming my body-weight in Guinness and Bushmill's, I saw the best words ever printed in the English Language in the lobby... Full Irish Breakfast! For 9 Euro you got the full meal AND unlimited (I think) trips to the cereal/juice bar which also had toast. Waitstaff very pleasant and the meal was good.

The room itself gets a 5 out of 50. I understand rooms can be small so that was a non issues. Howere my bed included a duvet and a flat sheet. No fitted sheet. Just a flat sheet and a duvet. Now the place is over 150 years old but there really weren't any modern updates and no climate controls that I could find. The beds were as solid as a slab of concrete and the pillows were no better. The walls are paper thin so I was enchanted to here a English couple next door have a "debate" about monies spent to that point on their holiday. (Funny!) The bathroom was TINY and good luck using the toilet and closing the door at the same time. You can have one or the other. The shower was a nightmare to figure out because the water was either scalding hot or freezing cold. What was nice was the very deep tub which allowed for a nice bath to relax after walking many miles in Dublin's fabled streets. The fixtures, one faucet for hot and another for cold, were a nice vintage touch.

45 out of 50 for affordability. I stayed two days mid week and my total bill was 108.00 USD. Certainly no complaints there.

140/200 or 70%. Not bad at all... if your an insomniac. Whereas I did love the location and ease of transiting the city I am the type that is cranky and/or utterly useless without decent sleep (good thing they have Guinness there lol) On the next trip to Dublin I will probably stay at a better hotel because I know I would have enjoyed the trip even more if I was well rested. If you are on a budget and can party all night I found your joint :D

Room Tip: Lord Edward Street is noisy all day and until about 1030. If you want a room with a view ask for st...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
ArlingtonTB, Duty Manager at Arlington Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for choosing the Arlington Temple Bar and for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am dissapointed that you didnt fully enjoy your time with us, unfortunately with our very central city centre location we are caught in the noise of this lively and busy city.

I appreciate your coments, regarding the level of service you recieved from the entire team.

We currently have a schedule of works in motion for a refurbishment of our bathrooms and a cosmetic job to our bedrooms we hope to have this completed soon and hope that it will further inhance our guest experience.

I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your trip and will visit our city again in the near future.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed here in August 2010. It is a little difficult to find the hotel (there is one across the river too).

The Location of this place could not be better. A few minutes walk and you hit the temple bar area and you can spend the rest of your day there. The hop on hop off to has one of the stops right there. (and the bus takes you to the Guinness brewery) All in all - location 10 on 10

The staff was extremely friendly at the reception and helped us check in early. Every morning we used to depart early morning (before breakfast) and they would pack sandwiches for us. This just won us over especially since Ireland is not a cheap travel destination.

The rooms are fine - not too large but cozy. With service like what we got - I could find no fault in the rooms.

I dont think there would be a better value for money proposition in Dublin!

Room Tip: The lift is slow - so choose a room close to the reception
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am very glad to see that you enjoyed your time with us and you really enjoyed our city.

We pride ourselves on deliverying a friendly and welcoming experience for all our guests.

I do hope that should you return to Dublin you will visit us again.

Tenerife, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We booked a package without knowing anything about the hotel, then came on Trip Advisor to check it out. I was a little reticent after reading previous reviews but I have to say we found the hotel to be very good.

The reception staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It's perfectly situated a stones throw from the Liffy and Temple bar, and within an easy walk of lots of Dublins attractions.

We had a little noise as it's a busy hotel, but nothing to worry about. What I did love was the fabulous heating in the room, we visited in icy January and were so thankful for a lovely warm room and piping hot water for a relaxing bath after a day out.

Free Wifi too - I am sat on the bed in my room writing this.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ArlingtonTB, Duty manager at Arlington Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Guest

I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and that the team here were on hand to assist you with everything you needed.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

space coast, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed four nights over New Year's Eve. Great location, just slightly west of Temple Bar area, and east of Christ Church. In city center, and walkable to most sights. Airlink bus from the airport stops right out in front of the hotel for 10 euro return. Our large, twin room was on the second floor alley side, so noise was never an issue, and we were there for New Years Eve! Room was large, clean and comfortable. Free wi-fi, worked great. Bathroom was also large. Only issue was water temperature, first day scalding hot. After a quick call to front desk, someone did come up and adjust it right away. Two other times water was all cold, and had to call to report. One of the times we were in a hurry and had to settle. So no fun there. Other than the water issue it was a great stay! Great price due to the 4 nights for the price of 3! Would stay there again!

Room Tip: Corner room, alley side was quiet even at NYE.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
ArlingtonTB, Duty Manager at Arlington Hotel Temple Bar, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review and choosing the Arlington Temple Bar.

I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay apart from one or two water issues. We have only today had a plumber in to service our boiler and he noted a small temperature issue which caused a small number of rooms to not have hot water during your stay, I am assued the issue has been rectified and we will be keeping a close on it.

We look forward to wecoming you again in the near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We arrived at the hotel a little after 9:30am, although there wasn't a room ready the receptionist was more than happy to save our luggage while we went to explore the city.We arrived back early evening to check in and change before going for dinner (at 'The Church', great food!).
The room was cold on arrival, so we turned on the radiator but nothing happened so on our way out we informed reception. We were told someone would try to fix it or we would be given a new room. When we got back into the room it was still freezing, the radiator stone cold, we told reception and we were given a new room just across the hall...the room was freezing, radiator stone cold again...so we were given a new room, and offered a free drink in the bar. All was well with the third one, still on the third floor just further along the corridor... Until around 11:15 pm when were heard someone trying to get in, just presuming they were drunk and had the wrong room we ignored it for a few seconds, until we heard the door unlock and 2 drunk guys were walking into the room!! We informed them they had the wrong room key and the stumbled back to reception. We phoned down and got a sincere apology and and an offer of a free breakfast. Although it shouldn't have happened it was quite funny and the fact that the staff were very helpful and apologetic did help. Apart from the room key not working the next day everything else went pretty smoothly.
The rooms themselves were a little dated, but clean and if the windows were to close properly it would probably be much quieter and warmer inside! We also had a petty issue with why the toilet roll holder is behind you? As quite a shorty myself it wasn't the easiest thing to reach! haha.
The hotel is very easy to find, great links to and from the airport, and if you want to explore as well as drink, is very central to everywhere!
We had the Dublin pass, which is highly recommended if you are going to be able to visit lots of the attractions, we didn't save that much from it but it saved a lot of hassle. Although we didn't need to queue jump anywhere because it was reasonably quiet, it would be handy at busier times of the year.
We had a great time in Dublin, the people are friendly and the beer and bars (The Porterhouse in particular) are great, we will definitely be visiting again!

Thanks again to all the staff that dealt with our 'issues'!

Room Tip: As others have said, the higher the better, and check the heat!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

Again I would like to apologise for all the issues you had and am greatful that you found the funny side.

I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your time in our city and hope that you will returmn again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stayed here for one night recently as we were attending a concert in the city. While the communal areas could do with a little update, the rooms were clean and rather spacious for city centre. Staff were very friendly, a shuttle bus was available for a small charge to the concert in the O2 would definately stay again and recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I would like to tahnk you for choosing the Arlington Temple Bar and taking the time post a review of our hotel.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your time with us and am very greatfull for your comments

I hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Bentonville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel (Jan 2012) based in part on the reviews in Trip Advisor. Based on the reviews here and in places like expedia I would say the hotel is somewhat overrated. The hotel, especially the common areas like lobby and elevator are in some serious need of remodel. There was a funky smell coming from the elevator, which I am not sure if it was sewage pipes down below or just stagnant water at the bottom of the elevator shaft, nevertheless, it often stunk. It is an old hotel and the floors creak, which doesnt bother me. The good news is the hotel is in a great location, right on the edge of temple bar. Also, the rooms are actually clean, which offsets the condition of the lobbly. I was fine with my room and the bed was comfortable. I had a 3rd (top) floor room on the backside (no view but it was a little quieter. I would recommend staying on 3rd floor if possible. I saw some reviews here before my trip talking about bed with no sheet just a mattress cover. For some ignorant Americans this is called a duvet and is common in Europe (especially Germany). The top sheet is actually the cover for the duvet. I actually prefer this kind of top cover and it is quite comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I had a car and parked it at the parking garage a block up the street, cost was about 10-15 euros a night. I would stay here again, but I think there is a little better option just up the street at the Drury Inn opposite Christ Church. This hotel seemed a little more modern and had a nicer lobby.

Room Tip: Top floor, back side is probably a little quieter as there is no traffic. Front side top floor is a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I would like to apologise for the smell you noticed during your stay, it was infact a problem with the local council, an old water main had collapesed just outside the hotel and we were powerless over it until the council were able to repair and block it up. I can report now that it has been rectofied and we are assured we should not have any further problems with this.

I am glad to see that you did enjoy the rest of your stay and I do hope that we can welcome you again in the near future.

Duty Manager

Been to Arlington Hotel Temple Bar? Share your experiences!