“Cannot sleep due to the noise in the hotel´s courtyard” 1 of 5 stars

You added Russell Court Hotel to your Saves list
Russell Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21-25 Harcourt Street, Dublin, Ireland   |
Ranked #157 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
“Cannot sleep due to the noise in the hotel´s courtyard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The hotel is nice, but it fails in its most basic function, which it to provide a place where guests can actually sleep. The interior courtyard of the hotel has an all night party bar with loud music, which comes into the guest´s rooms, preventing them from actually sleeping. It seems that the hotel´s priority is towards the bar and not its paying guests. Unless you like to party all night I definately do not recommend this hotel. Frankly, I cannot imagine what the management is thinking with this terrible policy.

Room Tip: The courtyard romos have the all night loud party bar, and the Street looking romos have the traffic...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't even know where to begin with this review so I'll split it into sections. We only stayed for 3 nights but I feel so much happened that trying to cram it all in to paragraphs will start getting messy.

1. The room:
Let's start with the room. We had a standard twin room on the third floor. In terms of decor it was fine, perhaps a bit dated but you can get over that. On closer inspection, some of the furniture was broken. Most notably the bedside cabinet which was being held together with a cardboard advertisement from new look! The bathroom was nice and specious and had the usual free soaps. I really can't bash the room too much because I have stayed in far worse and it definitely isn't the reason I gave this hotel one star.

2. The staff:
I don't know if it was just me, but 99% of the staff seemed like they were ready to go into a room and do themselves in. A very depressed looking bunch. Which, considering everyone else we bumped into in Dublin was cheerful as anything, was just a bit off. The door staff were the most ridiculous. Due to the nightclub in the hotel (see 3) there apparently have to be security on the door. Not just during night club hours. Oh no. The whole day. So literally every time we entered the hotel, even with suitcases and bags, we were asked if we stayed there and given the Spanish inquisition. No mate..I'm not staying here, I've come to the night club with my suitcase. In general, the staff just seemed down and depressed and looked like they really didn't want to work there..which is fine, who does want to be at work? But youre working in customer service, cheer up a bit, even if it's as fake as anything.

3. The nightclub:
Ha. The nightclub. The point of many 1 star reviewers anger on this site. And I can totally see why. When we booked this hotel we were told the night club was in the basement and only really caused problems at the weekend. This could not have been further from the truth. We stayed during the week and it was horrendous. The music started at around 11pm. Which was so loud we could feel the vibrations under our feet on the third floor. It wasn't even good music. 90s techno of the bad variety from the sound of it. Really, though, you can get used to the music. Its loud, but consistent. So eventually just becomes a background noise. Until it stops at around 4am..yup 4am. And that's when the barrage of drunk folk roll out onto the streets and start shouting at each other, cars start randomly beeping their horns at each other and every bang, crack and pop seems to be made. Give them until about 5 though, and they go away. But you're not out of the woods because at around 5.40 guess what? More noise. This is when the nice men come to take the beer barrels. And they don't just take one or two. No. They were at it for about 45 minutes. Cracking job so far for the hotel, if it's plan is to reduce the visitors of Dublin to sleep deprived wrecks.

4. Breakfast:
As with the room I don't have to much to moan about in regard to the breakfast. It's your typical free hotel breakfast. Continental mixed with a cooked. The continental consisted of cereals, yoghurt and croissants. The cooked was your usual bacon, sausages, eggs etc. The cooked wasn't a buffet style, though. You were asked which items from the list you would like. Now, this is where my gripe lies. I am vegetarian, so literally all I could eat on the menu were the eggs and the hash browns. The eggs came either poached, fried or scrambled. So, I figured since I wasn't having any of the meaty goods, I asked for 2 types of eggs. Well. My goodness..how very dare I. One type of egg Only! Forget the fact you're not eating any.other item Vicki...you can only have one type of egg!! So I opted for fried. What made this situation even more frustrating was the fact my friend asked for scrambled. So the chef was making them anyway. Wouldn't have hurt to give me a spoonful eh :D.

5. The phonecall:
Now. This is an exclusive to me and this review. And honestly, it was the point the hotel went from maybe 3 stars to 1. Second night at the hotel and after a bad sleep the night before we figured we were so tired we could sleep through anything. Ha. Right. Fell asleep at about 1am and I believe I was having a lovely dream about pirates and swash buckling when..ring ring..ring ring...the phone. I checked the time on my watch. 3.20am. I figured it must be something important because why on earth would reception be phoning me at that hour if it wasn't. So I answered. And what greeted me on the other end was a bloke straight from attitude central accusing me of throwing things out of the window. I politely told him that no, I wasn't doing that, I was sleeping..but he insisted that I stop. Now, I like to think I'm pretty good at a few things but being able to stop doing something I haven't even started is a talent I haven't quite mastered yet. No less than 5 times did the same thing go back and forth until finally he just said "oh well okay" and put the phone down. 3.20am. I would be lying if I said some choice words didn't leave my lips at that point. There wasn't much I could do at that time so I tried in vain to get back to sleep and went to the reception to complain the next morning. Conveniently the manager wasn't there and I was told she would get back to us. 3 days later and I'm still waiting. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm 24 and refuse to be accused of doing something a 5 year old might find funny.

6. Wifi:
Have to chuck this in here. If you're a social media addict or just like to know what's going on in the world then you'll struggle here. Wifi is only at the front desk. Not in the rooms. And fair game if you're happy sitting with a bunch of sour faced security men and desk folk...you will be fine. Me, however, well I've just added another £25 onto my phone bill with data roaming. As that was less painful than my other option.

So to conclude if you like sleep, and a nice friendly atmosphere id just cut your losses and stay at the travel lodge.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed here for one night with a friend, the room was clean and spacious & hotel is in a good location and reception staff very helpful. the security guys ruined this hotel for us, we were asked if we stayed in the hotel at the door then one guy followed us around the bar and asked for our key, going to our room we were asked name & how many guests were staying every time you left and came back! I understand it's to make sure no one is coming into the hotel from the club that shouldn't be, but it made us feel like we were in a prison! The nightclub down stairs, diceys was a complete nightmare the noise was awful and we were on the 3rd floor!!! no wonder there is earplugs in the rooms music on until all hours then once that stopped people shouting outside. If the club wasn't down stairs this hotel would be even better, I would stay again if travelling with friends but not as a family.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

this hotel is APPALLING. the noise was horrendous until 4am. even after that you can still here people talking and banging about in the bar area. the windows did not even stop any of the noise. they were old single glazing, and sounded like they were open. the room was old fashioned. and the furniture was so badly worn or damaged. we had two units with drawers but had no bottoms in so you could not use them. the leather chairs had scuff and wear marks like a dog had scratched and chewed them, and a big hole in the arm.the main light in the room was not fixed to the ceiling properly. the main door to the room would not lock properly cos it looked like someone had tried to crowbar there way in. so the fittings were loose. the hot tap in the bathroom did not even turn on. and it took two days to get it fixed. when i asked for a refund. i was told the manager would try to get us another hotel. but guess what there weren't any available. the tv only had five channels and was old, and whilst watching it on two occasions it turned off. breakfast was a set meal and the sausages were tasteless, and the hash brown was swimming in fat, the egg was nearly raw. the staff weren't exactly friendly, i was just a room number to them.

Room Tip: go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Derby, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you want to feel relaxed and have a good night's sleep then this is one hotel to avoid. I have never experienced anything like it in all my life. If you want guests to come back to the hotel then at the very least sound proof the rooms and fit double glazing and air conditioning. The noise from the night club was horrendous which incidentally went on till 5.30 am, not ideal when you have an early flight and have pre-booked a taxi to the airport for 5.45 am,
The room that we had was room 30 on the second floor and from our bedroom window you had full view of the night club bar and DJ who must be suffering from industrial deafness from the thud thud of the dated techno music, if that's what you can call it he was playing. Even the ear plugs provided in every room is not enough to drowned out to constant barrage of noise. Even if you were issued with ear defenders it still wouldn't be enough. You may think you are getting a bargain with the price but it would be better to pay more and get a descent night's sleep. This ordeal definitely tainted what otherwise would have been a really enjoyable trip to Dublin. I shall never be returning and recommend that you avoid this hotel and immediate area at all costs.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms unless you don't want to sleep.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed just over a week ago with my friend and having read the reviews from other people there wasn't anything surprising about the noise in the night with the nightclub downstairs opening at 11pm. I had emailed in advance and requested a room on the highest floor on the street side which we were able to get however noise still an issue and was woken up numerous times throughout the night. Hotel relatively inexpensive so you get what you pay for really. We arrived early and we were able to drop off our bags early and leave them after we checked out as well so this was a really great service for us rather than carrying our things around all day.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very dated throughout the whole hotel. I found the staff a little pushy, when returning on Sunday evening I was barely up the steps and a bouncers was coming at me with his clip board. Ok, I understand they want to monitor who is coming in and out of the hotel but give me a second? The room I stayed in was really really big with a sectioned of dressing area and huge bay windows. All this hotel needs is some redecorating and it would be fab

Room Tip: Very very noisy. great if you are here to party
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Russell Court Hotel? Share your experiences!