“Loved the hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trinity City Hotel

You added Trinity City Hotel to your Saves list
Trinity City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pearse Street, Dublin, Ireland (Formerly Trinity Capital Hotel)   |
Ranked #37 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
San Diego
“Loved the hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay there. I booked one night using Expedia - prepaid but a much better rate than that advertised on their website. The location was very good - central to everything. I loved the funkiness and the color choices of the decor both in the common areas and our room - it was entertaining, elegant, interesting all at the same time. Any of the staff that I encountered (just at the front desk) was very helpful. I was also able to use the lobby computer at no extra charge. I did not eat at the restaurant so I cannot comment on that. We did do the special Stay In room service order as I had my 9 year salivating over it (which was a drink, ice cream and popcorn). It seemed pricey at 10 euros but I thought it was a refreshing change. The only negative (although it was somewhat of a positive earlier on as we enjoyed looking out the window and seeing the Dublin fire trucks and firemen) was that our room overlooked/backed up to the Dublin fire department. As we were only there one night and we were sightseeing until bedtime, it was not too bothersome. However, up until about 10 pm, periodically we would hear announcements over a microphone, etc. I was worried that this might keep me awake but it did not - either because it stopped for the nighttime or that I slept thru it. If that is a concern, you should request a room not in that area of the hotel. However, I still highly recommend this hotel. It was fun, elegant and had great service.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

This hotel bills itself as one of Dublin's finest. I would disagree. My room (202) was about a 3x3 meter space with a closet, double bed, desk, small table, night table, luggage rack, and rather uncomfortable chair. The desk was not usable because the bed was in the way. For appliances, I had a small television with a digital clock (no alarm clock), hair dryer (stuck in a drawer), teapot, safe and iron. The large velvet drapes adequately shut out light but one curtain was torn. The bathroom had one hook on the door -- no towel rack. The towels smelled of vinegar and were not terribly generous in size. There was no facecloth. Counter space was quite limited. There is no temperature control. The doors are noisy and my neighbors and I constantly disturbed one another just trying to shut our doors. The "full length mirror" advertised on the website was absent. The breakfast (10 euros) was typical UK fare: grilled tomatoes, bacon, eggs, porridge, sausage, fruit salad consisting mostly of canned fruits, and an assortment of pastries and breakfast cereals.

On the plus side, I must mention that most of the reservations, pub and front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the pub has lots of space to sprawl in its big leather chairs. My room rate was decent (89 euro "internet rate", meaning breakfast is extra -- note that there are plenty of coffee shops in the area).

The decor that everyone raves about is amusing but not anything I really benefit from as a guest. For me, it's all about the room. All I can say is that you should not believe the photos you see on the website. My room was nothing like them. I feel like the victim of a "bait and switch" tactic.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Boise Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

It's decor is a bit over the top, but the staff, the location, the rooms, the breakfast... well it was all really fantastic. If there is a better place to stay in Dublin for the money- I would love to see it- because the Trinity Capital was A+

Tullamore, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

A mixed review: As will be apparent from other reviews there is much of interest from a visual point of view - the lobby and other public areas are uniquely decorated and furnished in a kind of Anglo-Egyptian style combined with a general strangeness worthy of Alice in Wonderland. With the purple and pink fabrics I would think most gay people would feel very at home. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. And perhaps, importantly for many people: the hotel is central - just a few minutes walk from Tara street Dart station ( near the northside of the city centre) and about 10 minutes walk from the heart of the south side of the city ( Grafton street etc).

The room however was disappointing: We booked a King size, expecting the room to be big enough to accommodate a king size room. Not so. The King size ( which was actually two singles expertly pushed together) took up most of the room, leaving very little space for any kind of comfortable movement. Attempting to use the iron (the ironing board came without a cover and hence didn't make for good ironing) was a spacial challenge, as was most everything else in the room. The TV was a small flat screen with poor picture quality and a small number of channels. Movies on demand and TV internet access were supposed to be a part of the feature of the room but were non existent. Soundproofing was poor from the street perspective - you could continuously here the drone of traffic. Again, the bathroom was quite small, and the shower was best described as pathetic. Worst of all was the room temperature - or should I say lack of it. There was no climate control. The radiator didn't work and it was COLD. My wife got into bed with her coat on whilst I called reception to ask how to control the heating, to be told it was switched off. A portable heater was sent up, which still took an hour to reach an adequate room temperature - not great for a romantic getaway!

We had booked the room directly with the hotel of 94 euro which was cheaper than comparative sites. But for that money, in the current economic climate, with hotels desperate for business, you can do much better. This was a hotel squeezing savings and will certainly not get my custom again - after all, I don't need to stay in a hotel - I choose to do so if it proves enjoyable and a little luxurious. If I just need a bed for the night I can do so for much less in Dublin.

Room Tip: Not recommended - you can do better elsewhere
Holland, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed here as part of an organised tour. It's a funky hotel with a old world feel to it (suitcases with old travel stickers on them behind the main desk; a bar called Cafe Cairo, Egyptian motif decor in the lobby and restaurant). The staff was very friendly and helpful, working through technical problems with their electronic key maker to accomodate our group. They quicly changed our room to a double when they realised we were put in a room with 2 twins. There is the orginal wing and a newer wing. Stayed in the newer wing, with a very comfortable bed and super modern bathroom. There is a fire station built under the old wing, but the whole neighborhood knows if there is a fire call, so don't worry about avoiding possible noise (we were there 2 nights and never heard the sirens). The breakfsat buffet is hearty and fresh. Importantly the hotel is adjacent to Trinity College about a 10 minute walk fom the building that houses the Book of Kells. Also about a 10-15 minute walk from the Temple Bar area (lots of pubs and restaurants) and about a 15 minute walk from the GPO and other historic sites. A great value right in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer wing
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

The hotel has funky decor, a mix of modern & traditional elements. Bar was very cool, and there was a neat little patio as well. This is a great spot to be located close to the action, without being smack in the middle of it. It is a very short walk to get to Temple Bar, St. Stephens Green, and other shopping/dining areas of the city. The view from our room was a fire station behind the hotel, which was a bit noisy at times, but the windows seemed well insulated, so it wasn't much of a bother. The shower had really low water pressure, and the hair dryer barely sent out a puff of air, but other than that, the room was pretty good.

Lakeland, Tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

We recently visited and rented a car to tour Ireland. It was myself my husband two of our kids and our son in law. Dublin was our last stop. This hotel was funky, different. The decor very interesting. Our room was lovely, clean big. The downstairs retaurant has great food at reasonable prices. The downside to this hotel was room service which took a couple calls to get someone up and the front desk who surprisingly was very unknowledgable of the city and area. Upon leaving we asked for directions to the airport and the gentleman behind the counter had no idea. Another downside was the rooms were extremely hot during the night with no way to cool it down. Prices are a bit steep here but again it is the city of Dublin. It has its pluses and minuses..all depending on whats important to you.

Stayed March 2011

Been to Trinity City Hotel? Share your experiences!