“Love Four Seasons, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Dublin

You added InterContinental Dublin to your Saves list
InterContinental Dublin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Simmonscourt Road, Dublin 4, Ireland (Formerly Four Seasons Hotel Dublin)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 171 Hotels in Dublin
Boston, Massachusetts
“Love Four Seasons, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The location really disappoints.
Somehow I assume the Four Seasons will be centrally located (thinking NY, Boston, Prague). But this one is in a bizarre hinterland--not the city, not the 'burbs.
On the positive side: great Irish art work in the public areas.
Less positive: sterile environment; overrun when I was there by middle-aged rugby fans.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GMFSD, Assistant Director of Rooms at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Roscommon1923,

Thank you for completing your Trip Advisor review. I was delighted to see you enjoyed our art collection. Thank you for the Feedback as this helps us review our current service with the aim of improving our product and service. I am sorry that you felt the location of the hotel was a distance from the city centre. We are a 10-15 minute car journey from St Stephens Green, we are fortunate to have a taxi rank located directly outside the hotel which is convenient for our guests. We also have our complimentary hotel guest car which is available Monday- Saturday until 20:00hrs. This service has definitely enhanced any feeling of distance from the city centre
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Dublin soon and please feel free to contact me personally should you require any additional assistance.
Lucius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Four Seasons in Dublin while attending a friend's wedding. Having stayed at other Four Seasons hotels including the George V in Paris, I guess we had high expectations. On the way to the hotel, the taxi driver told us that the hotel had gone into receivership during the financial crash and was now state owned. This should have warned us. While the hotel is in a decent neighbourhood, the service and room appointments are somewhat lacking. There is a big difference between staff being unobtrusive but ever present and not really available. It is difficult to describe this but there is a feeling that one gets in upscale hotels that gives you the impression that if you need someone you only have to look up and someone would immediately be there to assist you. One does not get this feeling at the Four Seasons in Dublin. On the point of room amenities, generally in hotels of this supposed quality there is an abundance of toiletries both for the bath as well the shower. Here there was one single bottle of shower/bath gel to be shared between two people so it was impossible for one person to have a bath and he other a shower. Again there was only one bottle each of shampoo, conditioner and body lotion and no other toiletries. I guess this is what happens when a luxury hotel is run by the state.
As a previous reviewer wrote, it is not a bad hotel, it is just ok. However, when one stays at a Four Seasons, one does not expect an ok experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMFSD, Assistant Director of Rooms at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear worldtravellergirl64,
Thank you for taking the time to write your Trip advisor review regarding you stay in June. I do hope you enjoyed your friend’s wedding. Feedback is an important tool for the hotel to align service standards with product quality rest assured I will review your comments with our entire team with a view to improving our offering. I was disappointed to see we did not meet your expectation in a number of areas.

Worldtravellergirl64, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss any additional points pertaining to your stay personally, please feel free to email me your contact details at lucius.farrell@fourseasons.com.
I do hope you give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Four Seasons Hotel Dublin in the near future.

Lucius
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Four Seasons Dublin; a bonus add-on trip after a 2-week cruise. What a delight! I've just read some of these recent reviews and am rather surprised and saddened. I'm not sure what others' threshold is, but we found our experience at the Four Seasons to be exemplary. Arriving late without half our luggage after British Airways delayed our flight and lost our luggage, causing us to miss a connection (a review for another day) - we were stressed and harried. The outstandingly professional and courteous manager, the front desk staff, the concierge, the bellman, the valets, the room staff ALL served to help us feel relaxed, calm and taken care of. The few clothes we did have were laundered and returned to us the next morning. A bag full of "essentials" was delivered to our room. Surprised to learn that Neil Young was giving a concert next door the night of our arrival, and bonus, we could hear the show from our room. Our suite was elegant, understated and inviting - clean and quite comfortable. After a wonderful breakfast, we were provided a luxury ride into town the next morning complete with great local stories and color from Tony. David, the concierge, was very helpful planning our day outing in town and wonderfully communicated some details he arranged on our behalf. When our bags were finally delivered, even the valet, Omar, remembered us and was excited to tell us that he put them in our room. There was one "human error" slip with the timing of early, pre-flight in-room breakfast delivery, but really, in the scheme of all the good - not at all a mar on a wonderful stay. (My only comment/suggestion - and it goes for all hotels really - at this price point, WiFi should really be free. If small local motels can offer it, I think the Four Seasons can as well.) We can't wait to return to the Four Seasons Dublin - hopefully sooner than later.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMFSD, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear beach1fl,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Dublin.

I am so pleased to know that you and your family consider us to be 'your new favorite hotel.' It is encouraging to hear that the service you received from our staff exceeded your expectations. They work hard to ensure that each guest has a memorable experience and I will be sure to share your kind comments with them, in particular Tony, David and Omar, as there is no better motivator than the praise of 'a job well done.' I also note your point about Internet charges. You are right to say that this amenity is becoming a standard offering in many service businesses today. It is only through reviews such as yours that we can review and expand upon our product.
I am delighted that this factor did not take away from your overall enjoyment during your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans see you return to Dublin.

Southern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm spoiled by the Four Seasons brand. Time after time the name delivers in city after city and resort after resort. I returned to the Dublin hotel recently, and while it was an ok experience, it just didn't quite measure up to the high bar the name sets.

The property doesn't elicit any electricity. A remodeled old estate in a nice neighborhood, the location is isolated and there is no curbside charm. There are embassies around, but no pubs or areas to browse. The rooms are nice and well appointed. The bar falls well below what one would hope for in Ireland. The lobby lounge is decent.

It's not bad, mind you, it's just not great. Two days in a row they missed on a timely wake up call, again not what I expect from a Four Seasons. And the misses weren't by two minutes. On a business trip w a 5:00am wake up call, ten minutes late hurts! One day they were out of tuna for a lunch salad. I asked for a Herald Tribune and got the FT.

Doing these reviews I have to call 'em as I see 'email, and although I'm predisposed to love Ireland and the Four Seasons, this time it just didn't fully deliver. Maybe it was a bad week for them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMFSD, Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Socialicouple,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to complete your trip Advisor review and thank you for sharing this feedback on your recent stay. We endeavor to deliver consistency and excellence in every aspect of our product and service and I would like to express our apologies for not meeting expectation on this occasion. I have since reviewed this feedback with the team with a view to improving our service.

I would love to discuss some of your additional observations in more detail as I believe this feedback will greatly assist us better our product and service. Please feel free to contact me personally at a time convenient to you.

I do hope you give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Seasons Hotel Dublin in the near future.

Lucius Farrell
Assistant Director of Rooms
00353 1 6654669
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I recently was a 'guest' for four nights at the Dublin Four Seasons Hotel having booked a 5-night stay. On the 4th day I was told I had no reservation for the last night despite written documentation and confirmation number. The front desk manager indicated the 'hotel never confirmed the last night' and disavowed the confirmation from Four Seasons. Because of a set of concerts that weekend there were no other accommodations forcing me to not only leave work early but to pay change fees for the airline and incur the cost of an additional night's lodging in Frankfurt.

The entire incident was not well managed by the front desk manager and certainly was not what I have come to expect from a Four Seasons property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We just had our wedding reception in the restaurant at The Four Seasons Hotel, Dublin following our civil marriage in the Junior Ballroom. This hotel is The best hotel in the country for weddings! We looked at every hotel within a 10 mile radius of the city, but didn't realise just how amazing our experience would be until we started dealing with the staff at the hotel. Lucius Farrell was outstanding in how he managed the whole event with Laura and his team. They were always one step ahead of us, thinking of every detail before we ever did. So many of our guests said it was the best wedding ever, including their own! We also heard that, like our experience, the staff were not only incredibly professional, but the were friendly and warm too. They literally could not do enough for us. This is, in our view, The best hotel in Ireland for a wedding.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMFSD, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear John K,

Congratulations on your big day and thank you for your thoughtful review regarding your recent wedding at Four Seasons Hotel Dublin.
I am thrilled to hear that we were able to create such a special memory for you and your wife on what is surely one of the most special days in both of your lives! Please be assured that I will be sharing your kind words of appreciation with our team, in particular Lucius and Laura, as there is no better motivator than the praise of 'a job well done.' I am so pleased that you refer to us as 'the best hotel in Ireland for a wedding.' I look forward to welcoming you both back very soon for another memorable stay.

Kind regards and congratulations once again,

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had our wedding at The Four Seasons Hotel on Saturday, June 22nd. I looked at every hotel within a 5 mile radius of Dublin and finally picked this one . This is The best hotel in the country for a wedding, in our view. From the day we met Lucius Farrell from the hotel, he, and all of the staff there, could not do enough for us. Lucius, Laura and the team were always one step ahead, thinking of every detail before we ever did. The professionalism of every single member of staff was outstanding, but more than that, so many of our guests commented on their friendliness and warmth as well. They literally could not do enough for us and all of our guests. The Four Seasons Hotel made our wedding easy and truely the best day of our lives.

Room Tip: The bridal suite was breath taking! All guest rooms were really lovely.