“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Swansea
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed at The Mespil for 2 nights with friends for the Leinster v Ospreys rugby game at the RDS in March. Great location for the RDS/Aviva or for City Centre (Grafton St). Both about a 15-20 minute walk. Also plenty of buses nearby if you prefer. It took us about 6 hours to walk to Grafton Street but that's cause we kept stopping in all the nice bars along the way :)
Found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Nice Breakfast, 10 Euro's if not included in your booking, nice bar area, although it does close a little too early.
Plenty of nice bars in the Baggot St/Merrion Row area, approx 5 to 10 mins walk (recommend O'Donaghues), and for coffee lovers there is a Starbucks right next door to hotel. The Baggott Street bars tend to be a couple of Euro cheaper per drink than the Temple Bar "Tourist Trap" area.
Definitely recommend this hotel, great location (assuming you don't mind a short walk), plenty of bars and restaurants nearby.
I have booked to go back to The Mespil at the end of July, this time with my wife and 2 kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the Canal.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us during the Leinster v Ospreys Rugby weekend – it was a great weekend in Dublin. Our location is ideal for Aviva Stadium, RDS and for city centre as you mention...and I like how it took you 6 hours to get to Grafton Street..

Thank you for the kind feedback in relation to our staff, it is very much appreciated. Great to see that you enjoyed breakfast each morning and found some good pubs and cafes close by.

Delighted to read that you will be returning to stay with us and I hope you will contact me in advance of your stay so I can ensure all details are in order for your family stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your family to the Mespil Hotel in July.

965 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This Hotel is really well located right in the heart of Dublin. It is when an easy stroll to lots of ameneties etc. Free Wifi was available via a bitbuzz voucher. Annoying that you had to keep logging in to a web page though every time you put your phone down. I hate this !
The room was large enough but the overall impression was of a run down old hotel (carpet and furniture a bit dowdy), which is a pity considering the excellent location. A cheap disinfectent smell was evident in the corridor and room. The shower was old style Triton, but water pressure was ok.
The room rates are to be fair in line with this and represent quite good value. It's a pity they couldn't go the extra mile and give customers a better experience. The breakfast was OK but by now means spectacular. I found staff all to be efficient and helpful. With the premium location I think there is an oppurtunity for management to upgrade this hotel and even charge a bit more if they could improve.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Good to hear that you enjoyed our location close to many Dublin attractions. Thank you for your comments in relation to the complimentary wifi – and Bitbuzz our Wifi provider are in the process of solving the issue with phones going into sleep mode – so that is good news.

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our staff which are greatly appreciated and apologies regarding the smell of disinfectant – I have highlighted this with our Accommodation Manager as it has never been an issue to date.

We are continuing to upgrade the rooms and we will continue with these updates for the coming year. I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I've stayed in the Mespil a few times in 2012 for 2 -3 nights each visit.

This is located in Dublin 4 on the canal basically within walking distance of business areas in D2/D4.

Staff are very efficent and friendly. The rooms are large with TV, WIFI and coffee making facilities.

Make sure that you have the cooked breakfast. This is an all-you-can-eat buffet and great value for money. Service in the restaurant is great. If you are a business traveller and arrive to find the restaurant crowded with a tour group, the staff will normally seat you without queuing.

For tourists visiting the area, take a walk down Baggot street and try a pint in Toners and Donaghues. The canal which appears to have been recently cleaned is lovely if you visit during the scheduled sunny day.

The hotel has a small car-park that fills quickly in the evenings. It is difficult to complain about this since they don't charge for parking whereas most hotels in Dublin charge about €10 parking. You can easily park on the street next to the hotel though if the car park is full.

This is my go-to hotel in Dublin.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

It was great to receive your feedback as you have compiled this over your recent stays with us in 2012 and thank you for taking the time to post it. We are delighted to know that we are your ‘go-to’ hotel in Dublin and that you enjoy the location, large rooms with complimentary Wifi and great to see that the buffet breakfast gets tops marks too… Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our staff and you mention the good service in the restaurant which has been passed on to the team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again to the Mespil Hotel and please contact me directly and I can assist you with your next reservation.

sales@leehotels.com
Formby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

A nice comfortable hotel within easy reach of Dublins main attractions. Rooms are nicely equipped and clean. The Hotel is right opposite Dublins Grand canal which is nice for a stroll after your evening meal. There are 2 places to eat in the Mespil, either in the bar or the main restaurant. Breakfast is served in the main restaurant and is of buffet style so you can really set yourself up for the day. There is free wireless connection within the hotel and is accessed by a daily changed code. There is a taxi rank right outside the hotel and good bus routes to get you around the city

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our location ideal, opposite the Grand Canal and close to many attractions. Great to see that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and you are right...it will set you up for the day! Thank you for the positive feedback in relation to the complimentary wifi which was a plus for you.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mespil Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

ponchatoula, la usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Clean hotel. It was part of the Gate 1 tour. However, there is no a/c so I would not recommend going in July, August or September. The breakfast was part of the package. If not, it is 10 euros per person.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

I hope you enjoyed your tour around Ireland with Gate1 and thank you for your comments. Unfortunately the rooms do not have air conditioning, however the windows open to a safe distance and we have fans available for guests that require it. The changeable Irish weather does not always require a/c however I know some evenings would get more sunshine….and we wish we could get a little more sunshine at times.

I hope next time you visit Ireland you will include a return visit to the Mespil Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stay here a bit when I want to stay in town for the evening. Never really been disappointed. It's usually reasonably busy which I like. I find the front desk folks especially efficient and professional.

When I've eaten it's usually been in the bar and it's been grand.
Best rooms for me are on teh 5th floor where you can get a good view out over the canal

Room Tip: Corner rooms on 5th floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Delighted to hear that you frequently stay with us when visiting Dublin and that you enjoy the view from the 5th floor bedrooms – please note next time you stay we can request a 5th floor room for you and have it included in your guest preferences each time you stay.

Thank you for the kind comments in relation to our Front Desk team who work hard in ensuring all guests are well looked after.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mespil Hotel and if you like assistance in organising your next booking, please contact me directly.

sales@leehotels.com
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We (an elderly parent - EP - and I) stayed at the Mespil for a few days in May. The Mespil is an older hotel south of the Liffey River and located about an 8 – 10 Euro taxi ride from Trinity College. Much of the cost of taxi rides resulted from the number of one-way streets in Dublin and other guests were able to taxi into the central area and walk back. That was not possible in our case due to mobility issues. However, the hotel’s location across the road from the Grand Canal made for lovely (relatively short) walks in the late afternoon/ evening. On one of the days, boats were proceeding through the locks directly in front of the hotel, which EP found quite interesting. The surrounding neighbourhood was attractive, with several coffee places and a number of restaurants within the few blocks east of the hotel.

Our rooms were located at the back of the building, away from the road, and relatively quiet, although you could hear some hallway noise. I was, however, able to sleep with my window open at night, which was a luxury in a city. (Some guests complained in the elevator one morning about street noise from the street at the front of the hotel; so, if someone is noise sensitive, they may wish to request a room at the back.)

Both our rooms were large and clean. EP’s bed was comfortable; mine was not – quite significantly not, really lumpy in fact. Fortunately, I had a second smaller bed in the room and was able to switch to that bed – much more comfortable. When I phoned the front desk to complain about the lumpy bed and the difficulty I had experienced sleeping on the larger bed, they immediately offered to change my room. However, EP was comfortable in the room next room and satisfied with the bed and it was important for EP to be close by. In any event, the front desk said they would bring the bed to the attention of management to be put on a replacement list.

The hotel has a breakfast buffet, with both continental and “Irish breakfast” areas. We ate from the continental area (fruit juice, fruit, cereal, toast and various baked items) and were quite satisfied with the offerings. On one morning two tour groups appeared at breakfast while we were eating, but all were easily accommodated.

We also ate dinner a couple of times at the restaurant, since we were still adjusting to Dublin time and just wanted something light. Again, we were quite satisfied with the menu and the food.

Staff members were great at the Mespil – right from check-in through the bed complaint and then, finally, to check-out. That is always welcome to a tired traveler and is a strong point of this hotel.

On the whole, we were satisfied with the Mespil. I had considered marking the overall hotel rating down to a “3” from a “4” because of the lumpy bed. However, I was able to sleep comfortably in the other bed in the room, staff were quite responsive to my complaint and there were other factors that contributed to the “4” evaluation. (As well, EP was satisfied with the stay.) So a “4” it is.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mespil_Management, Manager at Mespil Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

We very much appreciate the time you spent in reviewing and analysing your recent stay with us and I am delighted to see that we earned the ‘4 star’ vote from you. You enjoyed the neighborhood with relaxing walks along the canal and a good selection of coffee shops and restaurants. Great to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and dinner in the Glaze bistro. Apologies about your uncomfortable bed – this has been highlighted and will be replaced and I am glad to see you were happy with how our team dealt with your complaint. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to the team which I know played a big part in getting our 4 score.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Mespil Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Mespil Management

Been to Mespil Hotel? Share your experiences!