“"Was expecting more"” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“"Was expecting more"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed two nights with my partner in the Mespil over the bank holiday weekend. I found the car park impossible to find not well sign posted plus the car park was small , lucky to find a car space. and to add no back entranceway to get to reception had to walk a distance with a heavy load. The staff were pleasant but the bar was closed at 12 midnight had to order a drink from reception and bottles only. I wasn't impressed with the bathroom., hair in the drain and sink partially blocked. I was in a smoking room which I asked for but the seats seemed to be strained with tar.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mespil_Management, Manager at Mespil Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Had we known you had heavy luggage with you we would have advised you to arrive at the hotel forecourt and off load your luggage with our reception team, as this would have made your arrival more convenient. Apologies about the bathroom, this should not have happened and housekeeping has been notified. Unfortunately our resident bar does not serve ‘draught’ beer and that is why bottled beer is available.

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review and I hope we might have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Mespil Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Bordentown, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at the Mespil Hotel for a total of 3 nights, two at the start of our trip and one at the end. One our first day there, we arrived at 7am, far too early for check in. The front desk staff quickly offered us a safe place for our luggage, and parking. After spending the morning exploring Dublin, we finally checked in. The beds were very comfortable. and the room was dated, but clean and well maintained. I do wish we'd had a safe and a fridge, but we managed. We stayed on the second floor at the front of the hotel. I notived that other reviewers mentioned that the rooms to the rear of the hotel are quieter, but we did not expereience any noise that kept us awake.

The breakfast buffet was very good and there was a good selection of hot food, cereal, pastries, and juices. We did not visit the hotel restaurant or bar, so I cannot comment on either.

I really appreciated the free wi-fi in the hotel rooms, although the system of registering and using coupons was cumbersome for iPad users.

Overall, the Mespil hotel exceeded my expectations. I was assigned the hotel as part of my self-drive vacation package, and based on the price we were getting, I was a little aprehensive. I need not have been concerned. This is an above average tourist class hotel within easy walking distance to everything we wanted to see.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mespil_Management, Manager at Mespil Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Delighted to read that you had a comfortable and enjoyable three night stay with us and that the hotel exceeded your expectations – which is lovely to hear. Good to know that you enjoyed the variety of food on the breakfast buffet and the complimentary Wifi was a big plus during your stay. Unfortunately the rooms don’t have a safe however at reception we have guest safety deposit boxes available and had we known you required a fridge we could have put this in your room – as we have a limited number available for guests.

We very much appreciate the positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next rip to Ireland.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our third stay at the Mespil and the best yet. Helpful staff on our early arrival took care of everything . The wine and chocolates requested were very good and reasonably priced. We ate in the Bar one evening and found all the staff very helpful and friendly. The price was very good considering how close the Hotel is to the city centre.

Good value breafast, Room clean and functional. The TV channels are limited but you don't go to Dublin to watch TV! Looking forward to our next trip!

Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Delighted to read that you had a very enjoyable third visit to the Mespil Hotel. Great to hear the wine and chocolates went down a treat and thank your for the positive feedback in regarding all the staff. Good to see that you enjoyed the Bar food and breakfast and that you found the hotel good value for money.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your fourth visit to the Mespil Hotel.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Ok, so it's my second time at Mespil and glad to report that it's still up there on my list of fav Dublin hotels.

We booked in this time as a family of 3 and were upgraded to one of the Mespil Appartments (didn't know they exist, but was very impressed). If you are a group of 3 or more you would do well to investigate staying in one of these two storey, spacious spaces.

Check in as usual was simple and we had no trouble getting free parking in the secure outdoor car park at rear of the hotel.

I love the location of the Mespil and even though it is not considered bang on city centre, you can be at Stephens Green in 10 minutes and the stroll there has the added bonus of being most interesting and not a chore at all.

I slept like a log (again), our room facing onto nearby office buildings which are vacant at night time thus affording one a noise free slumber.

Checkout was simplicity itself, as I had already given them an imprint of my Credit Card, it just took two minutes to transact. You have to love that.

I chose not to have breakfast in the hotel on this trip as I wanted to investigate nearby eateries and I was not disappointed with the nearby DFour Urban Café. There is a good variety of self service and sit down cafes just around the corner from the hotel.

Staff are friendly, location is great, it's well maintained, it's got a good atmos. There's not much more you can ask for as far as I am concerned.

I will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

It was great to read that you had another enjoyable stay with us and that we are on your list of ‘fav Dublin hotels’. This time you stayed in one of our duplex apartments which offer families or 4 adults additional space and freedom while staying in the hotel. Great to hear that all aspects of your stay scored highly from check-in to check-out and that you really ‘love the location’. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our staff which have been forwarded to the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your third visit to the Mespil Hotel.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed for one night to see a gig in the o2 arena. Checked in early which means there was space in the free car park which is a real bonus for inner city Dublin. Rooms clean, view over the Grand Canal. Good value breakfast. Good central location, short walk from Stephen's Green etc.
Efficient and friendly staff, doing well in quite a busy place. Not the most fancy hotel but I would stay there again.

Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us while attending an event at the 02 arena. Thank you for the very kind comments in relation our staff – this is very much appreciated by the team. It is good to know that our central location, good value breakfast and free parking all scored highly with you.

Great to hear that you would stay with us again and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Very very poor.. Reception staff very very rude, nothing explained. Booked on line, was told that there was parking and when I got there there was no parking. Had to park out on the road was not happy at all. When spoke to staff they did not seem to care. Will not be going anywhere near the place again. Could of paid less and got better severs..

Room Tip: Make sure what the hotel adversities is what it is, before checking in make sure it has parking.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of the Mespil Hotel Dublin.

Unfortunately you were unhappy about the car park at the hotel however we explain very clearly on all sites that it is operated on a ‘first come, first served basis and is subject to availability’. I am aware of your complaint and I know our reception team did everything they could to assist you.

Mespil Management

Been to Mespil Hotel? Share your experiences!