“A hotel with flair” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Quakenbrueck, Germany
“A hotel with flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We started our tour of Ireland in Dublin and booked this Hotel with the help of our travel Agent. It was a good choice: in former times the hotel was a reidency. Now it is renovated and a fine hotel with all modern amendities situated in a large park. THe staff is friendly and very helpful. Food was wonderful

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
We would like to thank you for staying with us while on your tour of Ireland and also for taking the time to write your Hotel review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time here at the Hotel and we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to us one day.
Again many thanks & kind regards.
Caitriona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Loved the hotel and the front office staff, very helpful, a taxi driver took us for a ride and they explained really well what we must do at the airport.. Dinner at the Italian restaurant was a disappointment, took too long to bring the food and wasn't upto the mark.. But room was excellent but far from the city and very far from airport

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I would like to extend my sincere thanks for staying with us here at the Hotel and also for taking the time to write your Hotel review.
I am delighted our team here at the desk were able to assist you with the Taxi issue you encountered from the airport. I am happy that you enjoyed the breakfast but I am very disappointed to read that dinner did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies.
I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to us again, please contact me directly by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 353 1 2188159.
Again many thanks and kind regards
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for first time ever in Sept, but I've been passing it for years and often wondered as it looks so impressive....

First the Positives:
---Maybe I was just lucky, but the buffet breakfast was quite simply one of the best I've ever had. There was nothing miraculous about it but .... The rashers (bacon) was perfectly done and avoids that international thing of streaky bacon. But the most amazing part was the scrambled eggs. It was hot and fluffy and just as it should be. I've stayed in better places where the chef cooks your eggs fresh but this was amazing. Sometimes it's the simple things.
---I was given a suite as an upgrade ! (albeit for a grossly gross, gross basic error)
---Certain rooms have balconies.
---There is an understated calmness about it that I think is a nice feature common in Radisson's the world over.
---9/10 for cleanliness. Really excellent except for some minor points.
---Although there are major adjacent important institutions, there are no major attractions nearby. Nevertheless it is an extremely convenient location for access to South Dublin, and the setting is really exceptional as compared with other nearby hotels. Dundrum centre is great for really good shopping and is relatively convenient.
------Free Wifi - It didn't matter as I have an Irish SIM. But as someone who travels a bit, it is a great facility and attraction - great for visitors, and quite fast too.

The Negatives:
---No reply when I tried to buzz up to reception from the underground car park to unlock the access door.
---The bedroom block is a little bit dated, and while sometimes this is no bad thing - there are certain unacceptables: - A shower head should always work well - this didn't - in a suite.... It was more like a shower hose.
---There are certain things that are just lazy - not to fix a switch that has been clearly partly broken for quite some time.
---Like friends staying in the hotel that evening - we couldn't find the RC to turn off the TV! (They were on the bedside locker!)
---In Ireland there is rarely a need for AC. Yet the AC was on as a default. They should default it off.
---The loss of 1 point for cleanliness is because on sanitaryware there should not still be the residue of a label from when the item was installed.

And the gross basic error
---I checked in at 2100. When I went to the room at 0020, it was occupied by someone else. Luckily he had the bolt on, but the keycard let me in... In Ireland we don't really do drama drama drama, and the staff were apologetic, but perhaps they could have been a little more animated.
Nevertheless, the suite made up for it

Nevertheless
---I'd definitely go again, and be very happy to be spending my own money!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write your constructive review. I greatly appreciate your feedback and allowing us the chance to address. I am very sorry to learn of the disruption to your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the matter as a whole. I am delighted to read that you are returning to us, please contact myself directly when booking by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 01 2188159.
I look forward to hearing from you then.
With sincere thanks & kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Summary:

This really is a lovely comfortable hotel set in its own extensive grounds/parkland in a well heeled South Dublin suburb. The plus points I refer to below really do outweigh the minus points. The main issue facing this property is that the bedrooms have reached the point in their life where a refit is presumably on the cards but for all that the beds are super comfy and the rooms are charming and comfortable. The television guest entertainment services could also do with a rethink/upgrade. There isn't really anything in the way of leisure facilities on site and from that perspective what this place really lacks is a swimming pool and spa. Although there are no shops nearby, there are 2 well stocked petrol stations about 10 minutes walk along the main road.

Plus points:

Beautiful building and grounds.
Really helpful and friendly staff from reception, bar to housekeeping staff. All lovely.
Lovely bustling salon and bar.
Airport coach (Air coach aka the blue bus which picks you up from right outside arrivals terminal door) stops directly at the hotel (approx 30 mins to airport and way cheaper and more convenient than taxi) as are frequent buses into town (15 mins to town) from the sam bus stop outside hotel.
Hotel is set well back from main road so it's quiet.
Spotlessly clean bedrooms.
My bed was amazingly comfortable.

Minus points.

Bedrooms need a refit as decor is tired and chintzy. This really needs attention now as I would guess it's been 10 years or so since they were originally fitted out. Public spaces are fine though. Despite tired decor the rooms are really comfortable.
Bath tubs are shallow.
Television/radio speaker in bathroom did not work.
Television channels are limited. UK tv channels are generally available in Dublin but there was no UK channels 4 or 5 available. And the tv menu defaults to pay for view films etc when really all you want is the tv. BBC2 and ITV were not available for some of my stay due to high winds and this was not fixed despite my raising it with Reception. Limited selection of radio channels also.
I found the food menu in the bar and room service menu a bit bland and limited and rather expensive.
The mini bar fridge was warm rather than cool which made storing fresh milk I had bought elsewhere a challenge.
The 6 euro room service tray charge is just plain unnecessary in 2013. I'd happily walk to the kitchen myself to avoid this (except perhaps at breakfast!).
The ironing board cover in my room was dirty. I was attending a wedding (elsewhere in Dublin) during my stay and didn't relish ironing my shirt on a dirty ironing board.
The ice maker in the corridors on each floor outside the bedrooms is noisy and I moved rooms on arrival in order to make sure it wouldn't keep me awake.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the front or near the ice maker if you want to avoid any disturbance. Ask fo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write your constructive Hotel review. I grealty appreciate your feedback and allowing us the chance to address. I am delighted that overall your enjoyed your time with us here at the Hotel and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to us again soon. Please contact myself driectly when booking by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 01 218 8159 direct line.
Again many thanks and kind regards
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

On arrival the hotel lives up to the 5star rating - the gardens and reception hall are beautiful. However on going the room the style is extremely dated with poor air condition unit and tv and the shower fitting hanging off the wall. The bed however was extremely large and comfortable. Breakfast was a very average buffet and other than the gardens and lounge bar there were no exceptional features. Expected more

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I would like to thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write your constructive review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the gardens and the old building on arrival. I am delighted that you found the beds comfortable during your time with us. I am very sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations and that the room did not meet our standard, please accept my sincere apologies.
I greatly appreciate your feedback and allowing us the chance to address your findings. Should you decide to return to us at any stage, please contact myself directly by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 353 1 2188159 direct line.
With kind regards,
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The best hotel experience I have had for a large group in regards to service and positive attitude from the hotel staff. A little slow service for the F&B and few options for where to arrange meals for a large group is the only drawback. Beautiful property with a lot of possiblities for incentive groups. We`ll be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing our Hotel to host your group, we are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay here at the Hotel and your visit to Dublin. Thank you also for taking the time to write your Hotel review and for giving us your constructive feedback. We are happy to learn that you will be returning to us again in the near future.
With kind regards and many thanks,
Kilkenny, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here one night last week , attended concert in nearby aviva, great location and looks great had a nice walk after check in and in morning before a very dissapointing breakfast,we were ,greeted? Or not by a disinterested looking girl, choice of fruit terrible no seasonal such as strawberries , yogurt choice terrible, cereal included rice crispies and coco pops!
My husband had the cooked buffet,he was also disappointed the bacon tasted of fish? It certainly wasn't good value,and would not rate a 4 star experience,our check out took twenty minutes at least! the reason being to redeem the voucher we presented the receptionist had to go through the website! You wouldn't want to be in a hurry ,and we won't be in a hurry to stay here again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write your Hotel review. I am very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your breakfast and the service which we endeavour to provide has found to be lacking on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for the matter as a whole. I grealy appreciate your feedback and allowing us the chance to address your findings.
Should you decide to return to us at any time, please do not hesitate in contacting me by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 01 218 8159 direct line.
I look forward to hearing from you then.
With kind regards and many thanks.
Caitriona

Been to Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin? Share your experiences!