“A Garden Escape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Inuvik, Canada
“A Garden Escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson Blu St. Helen's in Dublin for 9 nights in July 2013. The hotel sits in extensive gardens, one of which is beautiful rose garden. While the hotel is not in the city centre, a bus just outside the hotel gate provides frequent and direct service to downtown Dublin.

The hotel staff is courteous, friendly and very eager to be of assistance. The buffet breakfast offers a typical Irish breakfast with ham, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. However, fresh fruit, cereal and yogurt as well as cold cuts and cheese and smoked salmon are also available. Upon request, pancakes, porridge and a variety of egg dishes are made to order.

The rooms are not of the typical Radisson Blu Scandinavian minimalist style, but of a more traditional (some say fusty) type. However, the beds are very comfortable and the bathroom amenities are of the same brand and quality as all other Radisson Blu hotels.

The hotel has a small business centre with complimentary internet access and a nicely appointed gym.

We were very comfortable, although the TV was a bit awkward to access as one must scroll through a number of screens to find the channel wanted. Also, the screen directory and the channel guide in the hotel brochure do not always match. I also had a bit of trouble with the handheld shower; at times it worked fine, at others it proved to be stubborn.

All in all, the beautiful setting, the attentive staff, the generous breakfast and the in-room coffee and tea maker (including shortbread) all make our stay very pleasant and memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and also for choosing our hotel for your stay in Dublin. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay with us and that we have been able to meet all you expectations.
We do hope to welcome you back for another special break in the recent future.
Caitriona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed one night at the Radisson Blu St. Helen's hotel in Dublin, wish I would have extended my stay an additional night. I have read other reviews where they say the hotel is 'old', 'dated', my opinion is that is part of it's charm! The building dates back to 1750, I wouldn't expect it to be a fully modern facility, however they have done a wonderful job of incorporating modern updates without losing the old world charm of this hotel. Throughout our visit to England and Ireland we stayed 6 nights in a total of 5 different hotels (including all three Radisson Blu's in Dublin), the St. Helens hands down had the most comfortable bed and room of the 5 hotels we stayed. When I awoke in the morning, I was so comfortable I didn't want to even get out of the glorious bed! It was truly the best night sleep I had on our entire trip. The hotel was also very quiet. When we arrived there was a wedding party going on, we were expecting to hear lots of noise in our room from the party go-ers, but not a peep was heard. The room was very nicely decorated, the furnishings, while not 'modern' (I wasn't looking for modern), were clean, comfortable and charming. The hotel is a bit away from everything, so unless you want to take the bus into town you are pretty much stuck eating at one of the hotel's restaurants, which like most hotel restaurants was somewhat upper scale and overpriced. (I feel this way about all hotel restaurants, not just the one at the St Helen's). The bus stop for the airport shuttle and the city center bus line is literally located directly in front of the hotel grounds. The hotel website mentions it is a three minute walk to the bus stop, but that walk is completely taken thru their beautiful grounds and gardens. You exit their gate to the sidewalk and you are at the bus stop. I was originally scheduled 2 nights at this hotel, then changed my mind to move to a hotel at the airport for my last night as I had a morning flight. I regret that decision, the trip from the hotel to the airport on the airport shuttle was very convenient, and i missed out on an extra night at this lovely hotel. If I return to Dublin I will definitely stay at the St. Helen's again, and would highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the Dublin area. One downside I will mention, is it is well out of the city center, I didn't have an opportunity to try out the city bus line from the hotel to the city center, but if you plan any of the tourist day trips out of Dublin, they all leave very early in the morning (6:50), so I would have a small concern about getting from the hotel to the city center for an early morning trip, but again, I didn't test out what the city bus line was like for getting you into the center timely.

Room Tip: We paid the extra 5 euros to have a room with a view of the fountain, it was a gorgeous view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and also for your kind review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your time here at the Hotel.
We too are looking forward to welcoming you back to us one day, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when booking by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dailing 353 1 2188159 direct line.
We look forward to hearing from you then and again many thanks.
Legan, Longford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We always celebrate our wedding anniversary in different hotels and this experience was worst.
We were expecting more from the 5 star hotel. We stayed in a 3* hotel last year and got better room and free chocolates(nice touch).
In Radisson Blue we got smelly room…look like the only smoking room on the floor with terrible view.
Hotel itself is nice and clean…but not 5* hotel. Room service was very nice and helpful.
We were overcharged for the mini bar…just didn’t want to argue for 1€.
In the bar my husband ordered pasta ‘’months special’’ and he was told that evening menu starts @ 5pm (it was 4.50pm)
Even that in the menu was clearly written all months specials served from 4pm!!
Other table was served at the same time and they got pasta!!!! Not nice.
Stay was ok, but not worth it to overpay for 5*

Room Tip: room with the fron view or garden view. and definetelly non smoking one if you don't smoke
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I would like to thank you for staying with us and also for your constructive review.
I am very sorry to learn that you were overcharged when using the mini bar and also the service in our Orangerie Bar did not meet our standard. Please accept my sincere apologies.
I would also like to extend my best wishes on your recent wedding anniversary.
Should you decide to return to us, please contact myself directly by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 01 218 8159 direct line as I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to us again.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you plan to spend a lovely time in a gorgeous and peaceful hotel you should definitely consider the Radisson Blu St. Helen's. I spent to nights with my wife there and we were very impressed with the building and all the staff. We had our dinner in Talavera and the food was very good but what really made us to feel at home was the waiter Renato who took care of us like no one did before! he was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable so if you wanna great service Renato is the man to look for!!! Thank you so much boy!! keep it up :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review and also for choosing our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I also forwarded a copy of your feedback to Renato who really appreciated the mention.
We do hope to welcome you back at St. Helen’s in the recent future.
Many thanks again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

When our tour group was boarding our coach to leave St.Helen after a wonderful stay in Dublin in August 2013, the hostess Catrina over heard me ask a fellow traveler where her cane was which she really did need for stability. She said she left it in town while shopping. Quietly Catrina pulled me aside and said she thought she had one in the hotel which another guest had left. In a few short minutes, she appeared with a beautiful walking stick for the traveler. The traveler was so grateful. I was so thankful to Catrina and amazed at her observation of the situation and initiative to try to help us. It is the little acts of kindness that can have such a great impact. Thank you Catrina for going above and beyond "the call of duty"!
Charlotte Gorun
Clifton NJ USA

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Charlotte,
Thank you for your kind review, we are delighted that we were able to help.
We do hope you enjoyed the remainder of your time here in Ireland and that we will have the chance to welcome you back to us in the future.
Many thanks and kind regards
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1night staff were friendly, grounds are beautiful, our room was clean and comfortable although we didn't stay in the 5* rooms I cannot fault the room,, you'd know it was built on an old building but for me that makes it all the more nicer for a one night stay I couldn't ask for more

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and also for staying with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back at St. Helen’s in the recent future.
Many thanks again.
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

After a rough start in Dublin , we booked into the Radisson Blu at St Helen's. What a gem! The setting was enough to "steal your heart away" and everything else was well beyond expectations.
The staff at the front desk, Thomas in particular, was excellent; the range of eateries and menus was excellent too.
Why more people don't know about this hotel, we don't know? Certainly we will be recommending it to all our Australian friends going to the Emerald Isle.
Excellent value, fantastic stay

Room Tip: Any room is good. Ours was beside the lift, but set well back with a small passage so we didn't...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel and also for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team has been able to meet all your expectations. I have also forwarded a copy of your review to Thomas who really appreciated the mention.
We do hope to get the chance to welcome you back at St. Helen’s in the recent future.
Thanks again
Caitriona

Been to Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin? Share your experiences!