“Stately elegance Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 178 hotels in Dublin
Tampa Fl
“Stately elegance Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Having been "assigned" the Radisson Blu St. Helen's by our travel company as a part of our ND vs Navy American football weekend, I did not know what to expect. What I found was an elegant older hotel rich with the same stately elegance that existed when it was a residence. Beautiful grounds with well manicured lawns and gardens. Neil Lane's staff attentive,helpful hospitable, and unbelievably friendly . A quiet retreat from the city centre. Not the most convenient to the City Centre, but well served by taxis and public transportation. Dining was very good. A good selection for the Irish Breakfast, although I will never appreciated the white or black pudding served. The Talavera restaurant presents an excellent Italian inspired menu with a reasonably priced wine list. If it is a five star accommodation you seek and don't mind a short travel to the city center, then try the Radisson Blu St. Helen's.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you most sincerely for your kind review following your recent visit to the Hotel, we were delighted to host many of fans over for the game, it was a great weekend. We are happy we meet and also exceeded your expectations during your stay. We do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

889 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
paddy in Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend as a treat for his birthday in August. The rooms were lovely, What you'd expect from a five star hotel. However theres no pool and if you want to use the one in their sister hotel they charge you €15. There were two weddings on in the hotel on the day. As a result I felt there weren't enough staff left for those of us not with the wedding crowd. I was extremely upset and embarrassed when a member of staff implied I had stolen a drink from the bar and made me pay for my drink again. As it was my boyfriends birthday I didn't want to cause a scene especially seeing as this barman came down to our table where we were sitting with friends and embarrassed the life out of me. This incident happened because the bar ran out of Heineken and they had to get it from somewhere else. I paid for the drinks and sat down with my glass of wine. About 20 mins later there was still no sign of the pint so I went back to the bar were the guy pointed to a pint that had been sitting there for God knows how long, so I took it. A few minutes later he came over. I complained to staff the next morning when checking out and they were very dismissive of my complaint telling me I should have complained there and then. That is fair enough but I didnt want to cause a scene in front of my boyfriends friends at our table. Spoiled my stay to be honest. Also the food in the restaurant wasn't great. I was expecting alot more. The salmon was dry and overcooked as was the steak.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry to learn of the difficulties you encountered during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the matter as a whole. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in person and I can be contacted by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dialing 01 218 8159 direct line.
I look forward to hearing from you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the ND Navy weekend. Although we were out of the city center, it turned out to be for the best. We could enjoy all the city offerd and relax in the peace and quiet of this lovely establishment. Karin was especially helpful in all our needs. Beautiful lodging but he grounds are the best.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us, we are delighted you enjoyed the weekend in Dublin and also your stay here at the Hotel. I have passed a copy of your review to Karin in Front Office, she is delighted with the mention. We look forward to the next Notre Dame weekend and your return visit.
Again thank you most sincerely.
Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a lovely hotel- a former stately home with a modern wing, which works suprisingly well architecturally. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was quite typical for an international chain, but well furnished and very clean. The public areas in the old part of the hotel are absolutely beautiful, especially the lounge. There is an excellent bar, with good cocktails and friendly staff, and you can sit on the terrace, overlooking the beautiful gardens if the weather is good. The bar food was very good, and the restaurant is fine wihtout being exceptional. I found it very peaceful, quiet and relaxing. Although this was a work visit, I'd be very happy to pay to stay here again. One very nice touch is that there is interesting original artwork on display in the public areas and corridors. All in all, a very good hotel indeed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at the Hotel, I am delighted that although work was the purpose of your stay that we were able to make the time with us comfortable for you.
We look forward to your return visit.
Many thanks.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I managed to get a good rate for this 3 night (family) stay as a frequent (business) customer with points, so that colours what I say.

Yes, this is not in the City centre but that is one of its charms. And it is not cut-off if you are prepared to use local transport. The hotel is set well back from the busy main road that is well-served by the famous 46A bus that goes into Dublin (and the other way to the very pleasant Dun Laoghaire) - and there is a 10/15 minute walk to the Booterston DART using a map that is available, with a pub en route.

The bedrooms were fine and the bed comfortable, but the rooms were a bit stuffy and hot - with open window the better option. The breakfast (and the on site restaurant) is located in a rather gloomy room considering the splendid views available from the bar. I'll comment elsewhere on the restaurant, but just to add that the food is good quality.

The garden at the back is attractive, but the downside of having one of our two rooms overlook that was the noise of the wedding party on the Friday night - it went on into the small hours - even when the window was reluctantly closed. Having a room on the outside was quiet, except for that strange 'hotel noise' that one gets resembling an engine turbine.

I've given it 4 stars because it does have its good points and we enjoyed the stay, But its a mixed bag.

Room Tip: inner court probably better - unless there is a wedding party or some other Friday/Saturday nigt bas...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback following your recent break here at the Hotel, I am very sorry that your rest was disrupted due to noise from the function, please accept my sincere apologies. I am delighted you enjoyed the location of the Hotel and also the quality of the super buffet breakfast.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of assistance when booking by emailing caitrona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com or by dailing 353 1 2188159 direct line.
Again thank you.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Five star hotels are expensive for a reason; because you receive excellent service, the surroundings are wonderful and the food is superb. This is the case with the Radsson BLU in Dublin's suburbs. We were here for a family function which involved hired rooms, access to the beautiful gardens and the provision of a buffet, wine and a full bar. All was excellent, particularly the firendly and extremely professional staff. From the moment the booking was taken through to the settling of the account the hotel staff were patient, helpful and magnificent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your family function, I am delighted you enjoyed the facilities, food and service. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Thank you also for the kind review which we greatly appreciate.
Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

wonderful hotel although slightly off the centre of Dublin. clean surroundings, peaceful area, extremely comfortable rooms, suoerb breakfast and very responsive and courteous staff on the front desk and especially the house keeping group. It was a real joy to stay at this hotel. The only problem from a tourist point of view is that it is away from the center of the city and needs a bus ride to visit the bar scene and restaurnats in the city. The bus stop going in to the city is a little complicated as one has to cross the road but return journey is perfect as the bus stop is right next to the hotel enterance walkaway.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the first fllor or the ground floor with windows facing to the park area.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you most sincerely for staying with us recently and also for your kind review with the special mention for the Hotel staff in housekeeping and Front Office.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Many thanks.
Caitriona

Been to Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin? Share your experiences!