“An elegant pied-a-terre for visitors in need of lodging in Dublin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin to your Saves list
Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stillorgan Road, Dublin 4, Ireland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #29 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Snohomish, Washington
“An elegant pied-a-terre for visitors in need of lodging in Dublin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This is an elegant hotel located a few miles south of central Dublin. Yet, it is a quick bus ride into the city (about 20 mins. when traffic is flowing). This means the hotel can readily serve as a "base camp" for touring Dublin as well as conducting day trips to various tourist sites throughout Ireland. This is nice hotel with lovely grounds but, be forewarned that the lodging portion/facility of the hotel is in a wing attached to the original mansion – you will not be staying in the original estate house. So, when you’re looking at those pictures which all seem to emphasize the mansion and grounds – keep this fact in mind. Furthermore, there is evidence of "wear and tear" if you look closely at things around the hotel - not glaring or blatantly obvious but nonetheless extant. I did not expect this from a 5-star hotel. I will acknowledge that the rooms are nicely-appointed, well-furnished and clean. However, not every piece of equipment may work – for example, the towel rack warmer in our room was non-functional and the TV remote had issues. We stayed in a deluxe King room on the third floor (#319) overlooking the gardens. Given the way the building is situated in an east-west orientation, I strongly suggest that prospective guests request rooms at the east end of the building overlooking the gardens because the west end of the southern facade overlooks the parking area and lobby entrance while the entire opposite (northern) side of the building faces trees and a nearby housing neighborhood located north of the hotel. I cannot comment on views that suites on the top floor may have but bear in mind that the lodging wing is only four stories high. For travelers familiar with the Radisson brand in North America these rooms will generally be smaller but certainly adequate. Also, I will observe that these beds may not compare well with the beds commonly used in the Radisson brand in the USA because they are not "Sleep-Number" beds. The bathrooms are well appointed and, for the most part functional but size-wise they are a tad small. At this point it is important that I make a comment about the star-rating of the hotel. The hotel is listed as a 5-star property but I, unfortunately, must disagree. This is a 4-star hotel – a nice one at that - but still only a 4-star property. While the aforementioned statement is just my opinion you will find that other Trip Advisor commentators have likewise made this point in their reviews of the hotel. The services proffered and rendered are typical of a 4-star European hotel. I have stayed at other Radisson Blu hotels in Europe that are categorized as 4-star properties but proffered a better overall experience than this hotel. The front desk staff is courteous, polite, proper and helpful (or at least try to be though they may not always know the answer). Another big plus of this hotel is the full breakfast fare that may be included in the room rate (depending on the room rate selected) and which is decent though not outstanding! Even if you must pay separately for breakfast I still think it is worth the price. Served buffet-style, the breakfast menu contains a fairly extensive selection of hot and cold items which, for the most part, are tasty. A few items were either overcooked, flavorless or had sat too long or been recycled one too many times. The combination of location and breakfast alone makes this hotel deserving of your consideration if you are looking at hotels of similar category, services and price in Dublin. Other eateries within the hotel include the Talavera Restaurant and Orangerie Bar/Lounge. The former is a restaurant located downstairs in the mansion proffering Italian cuisine which is quite good accompanied by good service but the ambiance is lacking and prices are a little high for what you get. The latter is the hotel’s bar/lounge but they also offer a selection of items for dining. The ambiance and setting of the Orangerie Bar is attractive and akin to being inside an old-world, atrium-style eatery or botanical garden greenhouse. Again, prices are a bit high - notably the cost of drinks. Unfortunately, service at the Orangerie Bar can be lackluster – we waited an hour and a half to get our meal one evening because of inattentiveness by the wait-staff. Apparently, a table of young ladies had become the focal point for several of the waiters. In all fairness, I must note that they did “comp us” the meal and give us a round of free drinks but the experience was not a positive one and, in my opinion, should not happen at a 5-star hotel. Also, the place can be packed on Saturday nights. One last thing that guests should do is carefully review their bills when checking out because errors can occur and do not let them automatically convert the bill into your home country’s currency when settling/paying the balance; the reason being that the exchange rate will not be the best. A final observation I will make concerns the hotel’s location and accessibility to public transportation and Dublin. Do not let the hotel’s location deter you from considering it as a place to stay when visiting Dublin. Moreover, you do not need a rental vehicle! Save yourself the expense, difficulty and headache of dealing with a car in Dublin. If you arrive by air at Dublin Airport I would suggest using the Aircoach express/shuttle bus service instead of a taxi or other means. The Aircoach costs 8 Euros (one-way) or 14 Euros (RTP), takes around 45- 55 mins. (depending on traffic) and it stops right outside the hotel. Furthermore, you get to see a little of Dublin while in transit. As far as traveling to and from central Dublin there are three public buses of particular relevance that stop right outside the hotel – 7B (to O’Connell Street), 46A (to Phoenix Park), 145 (to Heuston Rail Station) & 46N (night bus). They all travel directly into central Dublin. The actual bus stop (#2070) is situated on Stillorgan Road just south of the Fosters Avenue intersection. Get the 3-Day Bus Pass which allows unlimited use of the bus as well as the tram and select local trains. If you don’t use the pedestrian bridge located a few hundred feet south at Mount Merrion Avenue intersection to cross Stillorgan Road then, be careful crossing the road to catch the bus into town as traffic moves briskly – but everybody does it. The one possible downside to using the Aircoach and/or the public bus system is the walk from Stillorgan Road across the hotel’s western lawn/field to reach the lobby/building entrance. When the weather is nice there is nothing to be concerned about but, when the weather is lousy then the walk can be a miserable one – particularly if you are pulling/carrying a suitcase or two with you. The walk will take about 5-7 minutes but there is no hard surface – the options are gravel or grass. Regrettably, the hotel has no local shuttle service. We recommend this hotel because of its unique setting and appearance, clean rooms, decent facilities and good 4-star quality.

Room Tip: Request garden view at east end of lodging wing.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for staying with us recently and also for taking the time to give us your feedback which we greatly value and have forwarded to the relevant team members.
When next visiting Dublin, please contact me directly on 00353 1 2188159 or alternatively by emailing me on caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

1,024 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
albany,ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

The room was fabulously comfortable. Quality of the bed was fantastic. My flight from Boston got into Dublin at 0800 and I was able to check into my room, even at that early hour - huge advantage! The breakfast buffet was splendid and a good price (10 Euro).

The hotel is right on the direct bus line into Dublin (20 min) and right across from UC Dublin.

No complaints at all - the wireless didn't work in the room so I had to connect my laptop to their ethernet cord, which was not a big deal. They also offer adaptors for American plugs!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Ireland, our team are happy to learn that we meet your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
When returning to Dublin, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for assiatance by telephone on 00353 1 2188159 or alternatively by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com.
newtownards,n.ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

a good allround hotel,but a bit busy.good room,very clean,excellent food and very helpful staff,i would recommend this hotel

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review following your visit to the Radisson Blu St Helens Hotel, we sincerely appreciate you letting us know your feedback. A copy of your review has been forwarded to the team members.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when next in Dublin.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be of assistance, my direct line is 00353 1 2188159 or alternatively I can be contacted by email on caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I was working near to the hotel, so its location was excellent - probably less good of you were on holiday - but the local bus stops at the end of the drive and at 1.85 euros, it won't break the bank. The airport bus at 8 euros (Leopardstown route) is also a boon for convenience.
Food is good, if a little pricey, and wifi in the bar supping a Guinness is a good way to do your emails!
My room was large, quiet and all it needed to be: a little overheated, but turned down the thermostat and that was good.
The main disappointment was the breakfast - poor selection of fruit, and the cooked food did not meet the standards one would expect from the star rating: coffee was not really hot.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ihb Scotland,
Thank you for staying with us during your business trip to Dublin. On behalf of the team we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to address our shortcomings.
I do hope we will get an opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu St Helens when next in Dublin.
I can be contacted by telephone on direct line 00353 1 218 8159 or by email at caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com should I be of assistance when planning your next trip to Dublin.
Winchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We took a short break in Dublin and chose this hotel as a base. We wanted to be out of the city at nights for a quiet change to the bustle of the day. This hotel was all we could have hoped for, attentive but unobtrusive service in a counrty house environement. This was a no hastle experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Stewartatwinchester,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for your kind comments which we greatly appreciate.
I have forwarded a copy of your review to the team members.
Please find my direct line is 00353 1 2188159 or alternatively I can be contacted by email at caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com when next planning to visit Dublin.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Arrived out to the Radisson St Helen's last week for afternoon tea, the grounds & car park were lovely, and very impressive. On entering the hotel we guessed which way to go, and walked all the way through reception, the tea rooms, and into the bar at the very end without being approached by a member of staff. After waiting at the bar, for the staff to stop talking amongst themselves, we explained we had afternoon tea booked. We were shown to our table straight away. The room we were in was very impressive, and our table setting for afternoon tea, was right up there with anything you would get anywhere else. The waiter then proceeded to bring a pot of tea from tea bags, without asking as to whether any of us had a preference, for any of the other tea's they had listed on their afternoon tea menu. Afternoon Tea arrived in the same fashion as the pot of tea, and was dropped on the table without a word being uttered by the waiter. Myself and my friend spoke about this at length as it was not busy, and i had thought, obviously they must have much better staff on at the weekend when it is busy, however my friend quite rightly pointed out that when it was quiet, staff should be inclined to spend more time with guests, and at a very bare minimum should ask for a preference on tea, and should describe what the serve when they bring the tea stand. All in all, i would not let this experience deter me from returning, as i thought the grounds and the hotel were amazing looking, its a pity that the human interaction is letting down such a great property.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front Of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Thank you for your recent review about your visit to the Orangerie Bar and Ballroom Lounge, I am currently investigating your comments and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person so that I can address the matter completely.
I would appreciate if you could contact me on my direct line 01 218 8159 or alternatively my email address caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com.
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Bear Creek Twp., PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

My Wife and I and our 2 travel friends stayed at the Radisson Blu St. Helen for 2 mights in November. The grounds and rooms were very clean and the staff at the hotel was very accomodating. We arrived well before the check-in time for the hotel, but were able to obtain a room, and freshen up before a night out on the town in Dublin. The Bus stop to town was right outside the property, and toom about 20 minutes to city center. A traditional irish Breakfast buffet was available at the hotel, and we were pleased with the food and presentation. Overall, I would reccomend this hotel to anyone visiting Dublin.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
caitriona21, Front Of House Manager at Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear Savakirc
Thank you for staying with us in November, I am delighted your wife and friends enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your review to our Hotel team as we appreciate all feedback.
When you are planning to return to Dublin, please contact me directly on 00353 1 2188159 or by emailing caitriona.mcgroary@radissonblu.com and I will make the necessary arrangements for you.
Caitriona

Been to Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin? Share your experiences!