“Disgraceful Customer Treatment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 89 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
New York City, New York
“Disgraceful Customer Treatment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for one night with my girlfriend and I was disgusted by how we were treated. We booked a private room and checked in around 5pm, leaving our bags and belongings in our room. We then went out for the evening and night with some friends. We returned to our room at 4am to discover our electronic key cards didn't work in our room door. We went to reception to bring this to the attention of the staff to find that the staff had helped themselves through all of our belongings and packed our bags, leaving them at reception.
We were outraged at this and they said there had been a mix up and they rented our room out to another couple after we checked in.

So they said they had another private room for us, giving us another set of electronic keys. We proceeded to the room they gave us only to find someone else sleeping in it. We were absolutely disgusted at this stage at the complete lack of regard for personal belongings and personal security that this business operates. The staff we were dealing with however were completely unphased and arrogant, sitting grinning at us from the other side of the counter.

By this time it was 5am and we still didn't have anywhere to sleep or leave our belongings. They told us they had another room for us in their sister hostel, Jacob's Hostel. We were in a new city, didn't know any of our surroundings but they left us to find our way to the other hostel in the middle of the night not knowing where we were going.

The next day I spoke to the manager, Renata, who apologised profusely. She would not give me a full refund that I demanded for this complete incompetence on the part of her staff. Instead she would only offer me, half of what I paid, to be refunded and a stay at her hostel in the future at a reduced rate. I accepted this offer reluctantly as this was the best I could get.

However a week later she went back on her offer only giving me half of my money back and denying me the reduced stay which was offered.

I was completely disgusted with this hostel and the way they treat their customers, I will never be going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Isaacs-hostel, Guest Relations Manager at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We are really sorry about your experience. Having investigated further, this was really a genuine mistake on our behalf and a series of unfortunate events which led to your understandable frustration. We would like to stress that this is not a normal occurrence and that we do not have an over booking policy. At the time we did obviously try to rectify the problem by moving you to our Sister Hostel which is just around the corner with an upgrading you to private ensuite room with a 50% reduction on your rate. However we appreciate from your comments here that we clearly were unable aggrieve you. We would like remedy this and will now try and get in touch directly by email .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Isaacs Hostel was the great stay for a twenty four hour trip to Dublin. The second we walked in the door we were given a map and recommendations for how we should spend our day. We signed up for the pub crawl (A MUST) and were on our way. The rooms were a bit empty and the bright blue bunks were really old. We only slept for maybe four hours. For the price and the location this was the perfect stay.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Isaacs-hostel, Guest Relations Manager at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thanks so much for your great comments . As a hostel the rooms we offer are quite simple which works well for value and atmosphere our guests like. We do offer ensuite rooms at Jacobs Inn our sister hostel for those preferring more hotel like bedrooms
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I spent 2 nights in Isaacs and I found it to be comfortable but a lower grade version of their sister hostel Jacobs.

I found the dorm showers to be quite gross, there were no individual drains in the stalls and the water just pools at your feet. Not very hygenic and put me off a bit, but you can go downstairs to the sauna bathrooms and use the showers there! Much more private too.

It was really packed with young travelling groups, and as it's been mentioned, the bedroom doors are REALLY poorly designed and slam and creak even when you're trying to be quiet. This would be an easy enough change that I hope they add in ASAP.

The kitchen was well stocked, but poorly organized food shelves meant a lot of strangers rooting around for food. Also, what is up with all the broken hot plates? Real stove tops would have been more efficient.

No access to the patio for unknown reasons. That would have been fun!

My first night I could have sworn my bed linens smelled funny, even prior to me sleeping in them...but hey, in a dorm with 13 other people it could have been something else...that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

To add some positives to this review if you're looking for a bed for the night this would be suitable. The common rooms downstairs are actually quite nice, I spent a lot of time surfin' the net in the old cellar room.

The staff is excellent and very helpful so that was a definite plus to staying here.

Breakfast is included! Wake up early and enjoy some cereal and toast, it definitely helped get me through the day.

Room Tip: Use the toilets near the sauna, you'll thank me later!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your useful feedback and delighted you found the staff helpful and our common areas good.
Jacobs our sister hostel is purpose built as a hostel whereas Isaacs has loads of character of a hostoric buiding so with that can come some trade-offs. Sorry if the showers were not up to scratch for you -we are looking into the plumbing currently .The bedroom doors have an automatic closing mechanism for security and as we recently addressed the issue of creaky doors they are perhaps more difficult to close quietly - another challenge we hope to have sorted pretty soon.
Bed linen is changed for all guest arrivals and we would of course be happy to replace if you advise us of any problem. The kitchen is as you say well stocked and on your suggestion we will look at organisation to see if there are improvements to be made. In the self- atering kitchen we ask guests to helping to keep things tidy but with the best will in the world some are less organised than others!

Do hope you will give us another shot ,or if not let is know next time you are back at Jacobs Inn
Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Isaacas has everything we need and more: clean sheets, comfy beds, good free breakfast, wifi, excelent location, friendly staff...

I stayed on 8 female bedroom and was awesome. The cleaners go there everyday and so the bathrooms and common areas are always VERY clean and smeling really good. The recepton is 24 hours and they are really kind out there.

The kitchen is not so good, but you´ll probably get your meal really ok if you cook there. They have plates and everything, but some ovens don´t work fine.

The common area by the reception is amazing and you´ll always find nice people there. If I return to Dublin, I´m sure I´m gonna stay on Isaacs, because it is the hostels I´ve been so far.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lovely feedback - we really appreciate it.
Kalgoorlie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Isaacs Hostel was the best place I stayed in Dublin out of 3 comparable hostels, it was also the cheapest. The staff were excellent, the room was clean, dark, and quiet, and the location couldn't be better, right next to the bus station and cheap food places, though quiet. The basement is like little hangers which is a very classic design and provides a great place to relax. The sauna was very good during typical Irish weather too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Isaacs-hostel, Guest Relations Manager at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely comments - that's great for us to hear.
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at 3 hostels in Dublin. This was the worst. I am not normally negative, but here is why we did not like this hostel:
One staff member was rude. There are few common areas, only one great hall when you enter. Some room (ours) are very noisy. There is no air conditioning meaning you have to leave your windows open, and hear the partying and trains in the street.
There are NO LOCKERS in the room, and renting one is extra. Important to know!
When we arrived, in the hallway to the room, there was the smell of one of those outdoors toilets... Finally, the area itself is not near the action (though it is walking distance) and in a seedy neighbourhood.
I dont know how this got a high rating on other websites. Look into Four Courts or Kinlay house hostels instead. They are superior in every point and the same price.

Room Tip: Do not choose a dorm with window facing the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
North East, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I've stayed in much worse HOTELS! (Did stay in the private rooms though so can't comment on the dorms). Great, cheap base for a couple of nights in Dublin. Everything in walking distance. Locker facilities after check-out are great especially if you have an evening flight!

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room facing the railway line - can be a little noisy but I sleep through anything so...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Isaacs-hostel, Guest Relations Manager at Isaacs Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Glad you liked the " Hostel " Experience ! ( and yes we think we offer quite a bit more than some hotels ! )

Been to Isaacs Hostel? Share your experiences!