“Pre Match or Post Match good spot for food and drinks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandymount Hotel

You added Sandymount Hotel to your Saves list
Sandymount Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herbert Rd | Sandymount, Dublin 4, Ireland (Formerly Mount Herbert Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% Off Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #39 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ennis, Ireland
“Pre Match or Post Match good spot for food and drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Attended a rugby club lunch before the Ireland vs Wales match . Good straightforward food appropriate for the occasion , helpful staff friendly but efficient too. Good atmosphere in the function rooms and in the bar. It was not overcrowded given the location literally 50 metres from the ground
Have your last drink before the game outside and get into the big match feel.
Afterwards busy but no problem with overcrowding as in some of the local bars. It cleared out early but it was a Sunday after all. Well worth a try beside the ground and prices no worse than anywhere else in Dublin.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Portstewart, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my fiancée recently and enjoyed my stay. The reception staff were all very friendly and helpful, but unfortunately the bar staff seemed incapable of smiling and adverse to good service. Pravesh, in particular, would perhaps be better suited to a different job. The food in the bar was good, but nothing overly exciting and I believe the bar also closes early. We didn't dine in the restaurant, but the breakfast was good, with a lot of choice.

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable and very good value for a stay not too far from the city centre. The ample free and secure parking facilities were a bonus! There is free Internet too, but we had trouble getting it connected on our laptops.

The nearby village is lovely and you can hire bikes for €15.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandymount_Hotel, Marketing at Sandymount Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review Sandymount Hotel.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay overall and found our location pleasant.

However we are very sorry to hear that you did not receive good service in our bar, and appreciate you giving us this feedback. As a family owned hotel we aim to provide excellent service throughout, and it is disappointing for us to hear that this was not achieved during your stay. Please accept our apologies and be assured that your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management Team so that this issue can be addressed.

We are also sorry to hear that you had some difficulty connecting to our WiFi access and please note that improvements are currently being made to this service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandymount Hotel in the near future.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We had our 2 night stay booked through living social. On arrival the staff were pleasant and the hotel was warm. I was disappointed in the room, it was clean and tidy but the lighting was terrible, it was too bright and even if you only put one of the bed lights on it was still very bright and not at all cosy and relaxing. There were too many mirrors, the cupboards were mirrored and above the unit was a huge mirror with a very bright light above it also. Again not making it cosy. The TV screen was very small. The room had more of a clinical modern feel so it may suit others more. They had also forgot to have the chocolates and wine in our room on arrival, though when I asked they did apologise and hand them to me directly. The wine that we were given was not at all nice and we only managed to have a few sips before we decided we did not want to drink it. We did notice that this wine was not on the wine menu. The meal we had in the restaurant was really good. The main courses we had were lovely. Though the wine was very expensive and not the best I have tasted (especially at the price).The sweets were not as nice but the mains made up for them! This time I found Dublin very expensive and the taxi costs we were charged were outrageous. At times (not by the staff) some of the people were rude to us. The hotel was fine overall but I will not be visiting Dublin again. I've given the hotel 3/5,had it not been for the hotel staff, the meal we had there, and the Indian meal we had outside of the hotel the overall stay would have got a 1/5.

Room Tip: It depends on the individual, the rooms are clean but if you want cosy ask before you book.
Many thanks for taking the time to review Sandymount Hotel.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay overall and found our staff pleasant and our food good.

Thank you for giving us your feedback on your room and and the wine you had during your stay, which is appreciated and has been passed on to our Management Team. Please also accept our apologies for the wine & chocolates not being in your room on arrival and we are glad that this was dealt with efficiently by our staff when brought to their attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandymount Hotel in the future, should you decide to visit Dublin again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My partner and I bought the Living Social voucher for two nights here, wasn't expecting it to be too great for the price but the hotel was nice and the staff were really lovely and helpful. The car park is a bonus as parking is free and secure. Sandymount village is really beautiful - we had our dinner in the Indie restaurant on the second night and it was beautiful food. Also on the first night the hotel itself was offering a 6 course Valentines meal for 30 Euro each, and it was delicious. The hotel is close to Leopardstown race course, so we spent an enjoyable day at the races for the Hennessy Gold Cup day. Only slight problems are the rooms are a little dated, and the bar closes pretty early and is rather quiet so not quite a 5 star but still very good.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Loved the Sandymount. Very warm welcome, We arrived early following an early flight. No problem though, reception staff checked if room was ready while we enjoyed a fab coffee in the comfy bar. v friendly helpful staff. We booked via Living Social voucher, and had box of chocs in room and voucher for bottle wine. Lovely breakfast too with friendly efficient staff, Can't fault Sandymount and it's right next to Aviva stadium if that's what you fancy. dart station just round corner to take you to city centre. Don't use bus to get here. We got lost! We felt that everyone went the extra mile to make our stay a good one

• Stayed February 2012
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed here - on 2 nights - 22nd and 24th of January.
The first night - I had a nice modern feel room - with large screen tv - and room to do some work. Great value and lovely room.

the second night - 24th Jan - I had a different room in a different part of the hotel - smaller room - with small 10-in TV. Sufficient - but not the comfort feel as the first room.
Uunforthunately there was also a problem with water on the 2nd morning. There was no cold water int he room - so could not have a shower - unless wished to be scalded and no water for the toilet - was not good. hey did offer a new room to shower - to pack up my things - before being showered - and move to a different room - not next door - but down a floor and in a different part of the building - just too much inconvenience - when I had planned to stay in the room for an hr or 2 in the morning to do some work. - before checking out.
But without toilet, washing facilities - I just checked out early and left. They did apologise again and offered an upgrade the next time I stay - but the impact had been made to my morning at that stage. Be aware also that at 12 o clock at night - they do not serve drinks. Once the bar is closed - at public normal hours, then that's it - there is no drink available - even if you wish to drink it in your room. Something I found out to my dissappointment on the 2nd night.
The 2nd evening I did eat in the Bar - and the food was great and good value. Breakfast int he morings wre v good as well.

If I had only stayed the first night - 22nd Jan, I'd have had no hesitation awarding 5/5 marks. The 2nd night stay - due not just to the reduced size room and small tv and older feel room- but the no water problem is something I presume was a once off and has been addressed by now - but that's too late for me. 2nd night would get 2 or 3 out of 5.
Staff were pleasant and helpful as muich as they could be, and the bar staff were efficient and prompt with service.
The Price and value of the rooms was excellent as was the location - for me.
For a Man on my own, having showered the night before - a stay like that with no wather on the morining is just about ok. If I was with my wife and children, then the no-water would have been a bigger problem.
Hotel had free wi-fi in the rooms which was great and a +, as well as Free Car-parking, a rare find in Dublin Hotels in a location like this.

The location is excellent - for RDS, Dart line to city centre or Aviva stadium.
Would I go back - if I knew the water problem was fixed - then yes.

Room Tip: wifi in rooms - useful for business traveller
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Sandymount_Hotel, Marketing at Sandymount Hotel, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review Sandymount Hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us and were happy with the first room you stayed in.

We are very sorry to hear, however, that you were not as happy with the second room you stayed in and also that there were water issues during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. The water issue has now been resolved and please also note that renovations to bedrooms that were in the last phase of our refurbishment are now underway.

Your feedback is much appreciated and has been brought to the attention of our Management Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandymount Hotel in the near future.

Longford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

The hotel is very convenient to the DART, to Sandymount Village and Ballsbridge. It is situated very close to the Aviva Stadium and is located in the "leafy surburbs" of Dublin. It's a really nice area and I felt safe enough to take a stroll on my own into Sandymount Village (approx. 10 min walk). I stayed in Room 108. The room was fine but was an "inter-connecting" room. Being on my own I felt a little apprehensive in case someone could open the "connecting" door into my room. Decor was nice and everything was spotless. When I came back to my room later that night, I could hear people in the adjoining room talking. In fairness they were speaking in hushed tones and as soon as they heard my light switches go off, they also "bedded down" for the night. I will request a non-connecting room next time. My sleep wasn't disturbed and the room was very comfortable. The shower head could do with being updated. Having said that, my shower was perfectly acceptable. Breakfast was a buffet style and you could eat as much as you wanted. The food in the serveries was a tad cold ... I opted for a small Irish breakfast. While I was helping myself, I was asked if I wanted tea or coffee and this was duly delivered to my table without any delay. Food was absolutely fine, no quibbles with it at all. I have to comment on the staff. They are extremely friendly and helpful, polite and courteous. If they can help you with something, then they will make it so. I met with some friends in the bar of the hotel and the bar staff were extremely efficient and friendly. I will be back to this hotel but I will ring and book my room as you don't get a choice on the booking websites. There is also ample parking in the hotel and I had to nip off to town the following day and the receptionist allowed me to leave my car in the car park until I returned a few hours later. What a lovely touch and so unexpected. Plus it meant I didn't have to face city centre traffic and was able to skirt the city on my way home. All in all, a very enjoyable experience. I will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-connecting room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Many thanks for taking the time to review Sandymount Hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our location pleasant.

Thank you also for your feedback on staying in an interconnecting room, our breakfast, and the shower head in the bathroom, which has been brought to the attention of our Management Team. Please do note that the door between interconnecting rooms would be locked, but we would be very happy to accommodate you in future stays in a non-connecting room at your request.

Once again, we are very happy that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sandymount Hotel

Been to Sandymount Hotel? Share your experiences!