“the worst experience i ever had” 1 of 5 stars

Gresham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Upper O'Connell St., Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #41 of 178 hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“the worst experience i ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

i bought a deal on groupon witch was one night stay in a hotel with breakfast and afternoon tea for 90 euros or something.i tried to call to book in over the phone.they dont do that.so i was told to book in online.i did booked in and there was saying price is 200 euros so i expected when i check in all of it will be sorted.i mean my deal discount.when we came in to check in i presented my woucher to receptioninst wich was okay.oh by the way he asked me to give my my card details for for deposid so i asked him if he wount charge me.he sed no, its just for deposit. he gave up keys, showed us the lift and told us time when breakfast is served. the only thing about hotel i liked was lobby,breakfast and power shower ;). the rest was very basic. not for this price anyway. in the morning was was asked to pay 200 euros.i told them i have a woucher so they sed they sort it out and will give me a call.they never did.instead they just charge me 200.then it was time for me to call.receptioninst was very busy.she sounded that she she wanted to hang up very quickly.very rood! she told me to come in the morning to see the manager.i came in and she wasnt there.staff told me to email her.i did.she told me that when i booked in that day wasnt available with a deal.it didnt say anything on a woucher! long story short she said i wount get refund.than i came in again and there was duty manager that i talked to and i have to say he was nice and understanding. and hold a situation very well. he mentioned it wasnt firs time this thing happened. there was this eastern european man in reception that was very nice and helpfull but in the end it wasnt sorted anyway i have called the hotel at least 5 times and i went there 3 times.all the time i was just explaining situation to different staff. and all over again and again.i just gave up.the rest of the staff - brutal ! no organization in problem solving.wound recommend this kind of experience to anyone.and i wasnt only one anyway.such a shame for a good reputation hotel.and its all about the way its runned. the hotel isnt that special. for the price of what they charging u could stay in the same quality hotel half price at least. enjoy your stay :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewWalker, Front Office Manager at Gresham Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Than you for your review. Although we have corresponded a number of times regarding this matter and a resolution has been offered by the hotel, we do feel it is necessary to note this reservation was not booked via grab one, as it was not available on the date you had stayed, and the hotel's best available rate was chosen by yourself when making the reservation. If you wish, we can reissue our previous resolution to you in order to get this matter cleared.

Regards

Andrew Walker
aw@thegresham.com

1,890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just so disappointed. You could probably see that this could have been a fine hotel in it's day, but not now!!!!! Customer Service was very poor. Reported a channel not working on tv on the first day of a 3 night stay. Needless to say it never got fixed. Long queue at reception when I wanted to check out. Just a general lack of care. Ate dinner there on one evening and it really was so poor. Dry chicken with peas (of the previously frozen variety) and tiny bit of nondescript grave and mashed potatoes. Really that was it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for a visit to Dublin to catch up with family and friends. Very disappointing. Lobby staff were very blunt and impersonal. Room was awful, heat would not shut off and air was stifling. Only plus was that the-location was somewhat ok but for Dublin I am sure there are better places in nicer areas. Would not stay here in my next trip home.

• Stayed April 2013
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've just got home after spending the May Day Bank Holiday weekend in Dublin with five friends, staying at the Gresham Hotel.
Excellent hotel location on O'Connell Street, with bus stops close by for the airport, hop on hop off tour buses etc., We only booked in on a B&B basis, but the breakfast was lovely, and I had no problems with my gluten allergy. The rooms were very clean and confortable, so no complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: We were in room 381 which overlooked the back and was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 with 3 friends in 2 separate rooms. I booked online & had pre-paid for the rooms before arrival. Upon arrival one of my friends was checking into our room and they had no details of our reservation - there was a trainee receptionist on dealing with our matter his supervisor was there at the beginning but left him to deal with this situation all on his own. After a bit of a wait and presenting our own confirmation of booking emails we were given room 348. The trainee receptionist kept his calm though and did deal with the situation in a very professional manner. The room is basic & small but very clean. The lighting in the room was awful for my friend trying to do any make up or anything was a struggle. The Bathroom was OK - the shower head very low but usable. There was also no plug beside either of the beds and the only way to charge our phones was to plug out the what I can only assume was the plug for the 'storage heater' on the opposite side of the room.

When our friends were checking in they were also unable to find their booking. Even though we had already been told what room they were assigned to. This mater got cleared up quickly though.

Upon arriving in from a night out, we were greeted by what I can only saw was a very unpleasant night porter with a terrible attitude & no customer skills what so-ever.

The following morning, housekeeping bursted into the room at 9am! waking us up, which was not a pleasant experience. Upon check-out we were asked to pay the outstanding balance on our room which was the nightly rate, but we had already pre-paid for the room online. I was quick to state this & show my receipt for proof of payment. The receptionist quickly dealt with this matter albeit in a 'i don't really care' attitude. I then asked had our friends checked out, which they had - they had also been charged for the room - I again stated that they shouldn't have been charged that I had already pre paid. The receptionist dealt with this again in his 'I don't care attitude' he said that he would be passing it onto his supervisor and that I should expect a phone call that day (01/05/13).

It is now the 06/06/13, I have rang twice in regards to this issue with no phone call back or anything been done in relation to this matter. If the manager see's this I would appreciate a call or an e-mail - i'm sure you can go through your records to find my details.

As I am also in the hospitality industry, I am hugely disappointed in the management skills & the customer service in which I am yet to receive.

Regards

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

stayed one night in august 2012 - pricey drab hotel in need of renovation.

the rooms are clean, but not impressive. no view whatsoever outside our window. the gym was a small room not much bigger that a walk in closet with a few weights. the location is good, althoguh I would avoid staying at the grersham in the future.

my wife says she hated it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here 1-night before my fight home. You are definitely paying for a 4-star hotel experience. All the facilities were top notch and I did not have any issues with the room. HOWEVER, noise is a major factor when sleeping. The hotel is somewhat located near a night-club and the music does get extremely loud which woke me up. I did not get back to sleep until 3am when the club closed and had to wake up at 7am for my flight. Needless to say I did not get a good night's rest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Gresham Hotel? Share your experiences!