“Very Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
Cork
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just so disappointed. You could probably see that this could have been a fine hotel in it's day, but not now!!!!! Customer Service was very poor. Reported a channel not working on tv on the first day of a 3 night stay. Needless to say it never got fixed. Long queue at reception when I wanted to check out. Just a general lack of care. Ate dinner there on one evening and it really was so poor. Dry chicken with peas (of the previously frozen variety) and tiny bit of nondescript grave and mashed potatoes. Really that was it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for a visit to Dublin to catch up with family and friends. Very disappointing. Lobby staff were very blunt and impersonal. Room was awful, heat would not shut off and air was stifling. Only plus was that the-location was somewhat ok but for Dublin I am sure there are better places in nicer areas. Would not stay here in my next trip home.

• Stayed April 2013
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've just got home after spending the May Day Bank Holiday weekend in Dublin with five friends, staying at the Gresham Hotel.
Excellent hotel location on O'Connell Street, with bus stops close by for the airport, hop on hop off tour buses etc., We only booked in on a B&B basis, but the breakfast was lovely, and I had no problems with my gluten allergy. The rooms were very clean and confortable, so no complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: We were in room 381 which overlooked the back and was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 with 3 friends in 2 separate rooms. I booked online & had pre-paid for the rooms before arrival. Upon arrival one of my friends was checking into our room and they had no details of our reservation - there was a trainee receptionist on dealing with our matter his supervisor was there at the beginning but left him to deal with this situation all on his own. After a bit of a wait and presenting our own confirmation of booking emails we were given room 348. The trainee receptionist kept his calm though and did deal with the situation in a very professional manner. The room is basic & small but very clean. The lighting in the room was awful for my friend trying to do any make up or anything was a struggle. The Bathroom was OK - the shower head very low but usable. There was also no plug beside either of the beds and the only way to charge our phones was to plug out the what I can only assume was the plug for the 'storage heater' on the opposite side of the room.

When our friends were checking in they were also unable to find their booking. Even though we had already been told what room they were assigned to. This mater got cleared up quickly though.

Upon arriving in from a night out, we were greeted by what I can only saw was a very unpleasant night porter with a terrible attitude & no customer skills what so-ever.

The following morning, housekeeping bursted into the room at 9am! waking us up, which was not a pleasant experience. Upon check-out we were asked to pay the outstanding balance on our room which was the nightly rate, but we had already pre-paid for the room online. I was quick to state this & show my receipt for proof of payment. The receptionist quickly dealt with this matter albeit in a 'i don't really care' attitude. I then asked had our friends checked out, which they had - they had also been charged for the room - I again stated that they shouldn't have been charged that I had already pre paid. The receptionist dealt with this again in his 'I don't care attitude' he said that he would be passing it onto his supervisor and that I should expect a phone call that day (01/05/13).

It is now the 06/06/13, I have rang twice in regards to this issue with no phone call back or anything been done in relation to this matter. If the manager see's this I would appreciate a call or an e-mail - i'm sure you can go through your records to find my details.

As I am also in the hospitality industry, I am hugely disappointed in the management skills & the customer service in which I am yet to receive.

Regards

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

stayed one night in august 2012 - pricey drab hotel in need of renovation.

the rooms are clean, but not impressive. no view whatsoever outside our window. the gym was a small room not much bigger that a walk in closet with a few weights. the location is good, althoguh I would avoid staying at the grersham in the future.

my wife says she hated it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here 1-night before my fight home. You are definitely paying for a 4-star hotel experience. All the facilities were top notch and I did not have any issues with the room. HOWEVER, noise is a major factor when sleeping. The hotel is somewhat located near a night-club and the music does get extremely loud which woke me up. I did not get back to sleep until 3am when the club closed and had to wake up at 7am for my flight. Needless to say I did not get a good night's rest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Hotel impressed from the outside and even more so in reception, the staff were friendly and our room was available even though we arrived early at 10.30am. Twin room at the back was smallish but quite adequate, it was very clean and very quiet at night. Room service was fast when we requested extra tea bags and milk at 11pm. Breakfast expensive at eu19.50 (eu 15.00 when ordered with booking) we found the Kylemore cafe 2 blocks down the street and only paid approx eu12.50 for breakfast for both of us- not big eaters we felt we could not do justice to the large buffet breakfast at the hotel. The location was great at the top of O'Connell St within walking distance of everything and especially as all the tour buses from various companies stopped just yards from the front door. We came in on the airport bus (eu7.00 each) which stops outside and when we purchased the 2 day open top bus tour tickets @eu20.00 each (Red Bus) we got free return airport bus tickets - which was great..

Room Tip: Room 303 small twin - was fine and most importantly very clean and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Gresham Hotel? Share your experiences!