“Great hotel, perfect location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin

Save Saved
You added Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin to your Saves list
Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 St Stephen's Green, Dublin D2, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Special Offer
Exclusive Hotel Packages
Ranked #18 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Stirling, New Jersey
“Great hotel, perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Had a great time in Dublin, and staying here was one of the main reasons.
Everything about the hotel is elegant, modern, smooth, clean. All personnel were polite and helpful. Breakfast staff were all great. Food superb.
No complaints about anything from us! Would highly recommend the Fitzwilliam Dublin. We also stayed at the Fitzwilliam Belfast. Both locations are wonderful.
The 'business center' has 2 free computers with printer, and free internet.

There is a trendy club next door, and it was a bit noisy on Saturday night because we left our window open, but with the window closed it wasn't a problem.

1,465 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

After almost 24 hours of traveling, I was so happy to reach the elegant Fitzwilliam Hotel. The service is impeccable - we were quickly taken to our room, which while a tad small, couldn't have been better. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, the shower had amazing water pressure, and there were just so many thoughtful touches to the room, such as:

-- candle and matches by the bed and in the bathroom
-- cd player with a whole list of CDs available to check out
-- complimentary water and chocolate truffles
-- umbrellas for rainy dublin
-- cushy robes
-- lists of "the best of Dublin" so you knew where to go and eat
-- business center with free internet
-- free green apples to enjoy as a snack!

In addition, the concierge was fantastic. My jet-lagged self called and requested a place to eat for 6 on a Friday night - and I called at 5:30. He got us in to a FANTASTIC restaurant called the Pearl Brasserie, which was amazing.

Aside from being a beautiful hotel, the location is PERFECT. It is right next to St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street. This means you can walk EVERYWHERE. There are tons of pubs and restaurants around the hotel as well as fantastic shopping. We also easily walked to the Museum of Natural History and a walk through St. Stephen's Green was lovely as well. We only took cabs to Guinness and to Temple Bar, primarily because of the rain.

We booked our room online and snagged a deal. Be sure to look there and at hotels.com to see what offers exist for Fitzwilliam as shopping around saved me at least 200 euro.

I wouldn't recommend staying anywhere else - its absolutely perfect!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I would stay at this hotel again just for the location, the only taxi's I took in Dublin were too and from the airport ( about 28 euros each way).

I recently spent three nights in an executive double room on the fourth floor. The hotel was a good value at 200 euro a night. It is located right on St. Stephen's Green at the top of Grafton Street. It is a 7 minute walk to Temple Bar, 1 minute to Grafton Street, 5 minutes to Trinity College and about a 25 minute walk to the Guinness Storehouse.

The room itself was not large, but well furnished and very trendy. The bathroom was spacious and clean. However, we were at the end of the hall and had problems getting a steady stream of hot water for the shower. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows kind of large for my taste. There is complimentary water in the mini-bar but only a small sign to let you know. Unfortunately they do not put water bottles on the night stand and replenish twice daily like Four Seasons hotels or Mandarin Orientals. There is also complimentary wi-fi in the room which is useful, just besure to call the front desk for a voucher to use it.

Our room came with a full irish breakfast. It is a continental breakfast and then you can order hot food such as eggs and sausages. The breakfast is good and the food comes out quickly. You can have it delivered to you room as we did on the day of departure. Oddly enough water was not brought on the room service tray.

I did not use the gym at this hotel, but our room came with free parking for one car.

The service at this hotel was for the most part good. Vicktor the concierge was very helpful and made excellent dinner selections (Pearl Brasserie) and nightclub reservations for us ( Lillie's Bordello). The maids were thorough and quick to help when we broke a glass in the bathroom. The front desk gentleman was nice and cordial. However, one time we went to the front desk and asked about water bottles in the room. We were dehydrated from the night before and wanted water. This hotel employee said that water is in the mini-bar and replenished daily. I knew that, we already drank it. I wanted water and he should have went and got me water, at a Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons that would have been a no-brainer. If you are expecting that level of service the Fitzwilliam wont match it.

Overall, we had a great time in Dublin and great stay at the Fitzwilliam. The wonderful location trumps almost everything. We chose this hotel over the Four Seasons for that reason and were willing to give up on other incidentals.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Tyrone
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband I stayed at the Fitzwilliam weekend 12th June, and although it is a nice hotel, airy foyer, great location, I wouldn't put it down as a five star hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated, but on the Saturday after returning from shopping at 4.00pm our rooms weren't even serviced, it was only on our return at 10.30 that night that it was cleaned and the glasses that we had used were now washed and left outside our door on the floor, and indeed were still there when we checked out the following day!
Breakfast was basic, tea and toast cold, service was not adequate, as a lot of the guests had to go looking for milk for their cereal, that's if there was a bowl!, people had to take butter, jam and pepper of other tables when they were not using them, Sunday morning breakfast is self service, well it was just like Piccadily Circus, with everyone trying to get to the breakfast buffet table and back to their seats in what I think a small breakfast room!! Certainly was not a relaxing start to the day .
We stayed at this hotel 2 years ago, and thought is was just a one of experience we had, but no, I won't be back in it again, not when you have the Shelbourne and Westbury sitting right beside the same attractions, thats what I call FIVE Star!!!!

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

My wife and I traveled to Europe with our 16 year old daughter in late May. Dublin was the first stop in a ten day trip and I wanted to find a hotel that provided a situation where we could get a good start and recover from our jet lag in comfort.

We stayed in an executive room with an attached lounge. Both rooms were spacious - and thankfully each had their own door as well as flat screen TVs. The doors to each room opened to a shared foyer connecting to a large bathroom. It really was the perfect situation. The room was quiet, on the upper floor. It had a view of a courtyard, but the view was not memorable and probably not exceptional. The location could not be better.

The best part for me was the breakfast. Lots of options, lots of fresh fruits and juices, and of course the Irish sausages and grilled tomatoes. The only downside was the lack of soda bread - which I love, but seemed to have more trouble finding on this trip. Breakfast was included in our room rate. (I think it would have been 24 euros otherwise - it's not worth 24 euros).

On the downside, we had to wait almost an hour past check in time before our room was ready. It could have been the hotel's fault, but I'll forever blame Beyonce's road crew who had stayed the previous night. As we sat in the lobby, the crew drifted down to check out. Dressed in the all black concert regalia of their previous campaigns, they didn't seem like people who spent a lot of time worrying about check out times. I'm just glad they all found something to do after Tower records closed.

The reception staff was apologetic, but offered no recompense. Though, somehow I think we got even as my daughter, asleep and snoring in their fancy lobby, was now drooling on their chair. My wife, though still vertical, was asleep, but could easily have taken for dead by a casual observer. Probably not the best first impression for customers of a five star hotel.

Though a nice hotel, I now wonder if it was just too much. Given the state of the Irish economy, the hotel is certainly pricey. And in a way I regret that this was the first exposure our daughter had to European travel. I didn't get to Europe until I was well into my twenties and for the first few trips I stayed in scary hotels or on the couches or floors of friends. For our daughter, her first trip was a much different experience. Seeing her close the door to her private room wrapped in a fluffy Fitzwilliam robe, I wondered if it was all just wrong.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We are a family of 5 who stayed at the Fitzwilliam’s for 2 nights and were supposed to stay for another night before going back to our home.

First of all let me point out that my experience with this hotel started very well since the reservation manager, Mr John Kelly did his utmost to help me with good suggestions about rooms and rates.
Let me also point out that I am usually a very enthusiastic client and rarely complain about a hotel, unless I really MUST.
This time I MUST tell you why I WILL NEVER GO BACK to a place like the Fitzwilliam.

The location is just perfect and all the other reviews can just confirm this: very close to GRAFTON Street, ST STEPHEN GREEN: fantastic when you have a 21 year old, an 11 year old and a 2 year old!

The hotel is very nice but I would not define it a 5 star: I would say that it is a good 4 star: the rooms are nice but the service all over the hotel and restaurant is a bit cold, as though there was not a sense of unity. Everyone is nice but somehow distant.

We stayed for dinner in CITRON and although the service by Fernando was excellent, we were really not impressed with the food: it was OK, but again did not meet the standards of a 5 star hotel. The restaurant itself which is on the mezzanine is a bit anonymous.

Our rooms were clean and well decorated.

On our trip back to Dublin after 3 days at Ashford Castle a good 4 hours drive from the capital, we arrived at the Fitzwilliam’s where the receptionist told me that it was impossible to check in because of a computer problem.

After a few minutes the assistant manager, (for decency I will not mention his name despite of the fact that we have his business card) came to see me with a very sad face and told me they were unable to check us in because there was a major problem with water supply and the rooms had no water. He said to me he was very upset because he would have an empty hotel for the week end. However, he said, we would stay at the MARRION (I knew already this hotel, it’s a real gem) which was a better hotel, with more facilities, a swimming pool etc.
Useless to say that despite of their “upgrading” I was not excited to move the luggage and especially the boys who were tired for the trip and hyper because of 4 hours of seating in a car but showed a certain sympathy for the whole situation: after all who would like to be the assistant manager of an empty 5 stars on a bank holyday week end?
Only the hotel was far from being empty and the more I waited in the lobby for my husband to come back from the car rental garage, the more I could see that the clients were arriving with their Saturday shopping. Also, I went to the bathroom to change the baby’s nappy and guess what? There was water…

I went to see the manager and share my doubts with him. He said that in fact only 15% of the rooms had no water, the rest was fine…

When my husband arrived, he really thought the assistant’s manager explanation was very strange, but we decided to move hotel anyway. The concierge called a courtesy taxi van for us.
I waited for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, more than 30 minutes just for the cab. Concierge said all the vans were occupied and the traffic was very bad because of BEYONCE CONCERT IN DUBLIN and when I saw a van come I rushed to see if this was ours. Promptly the concierge said this was not ours but guess what? I think I know who had rented the van. A couple of very big body guard type gentlemen open the van and started to extract dozens of cases and, NO KIDDING, dozens of shopping bags from very expensive shops in Dublin… And who sent a double at the museum in Vienna while she was shopping in the city centre a few weeks ago? Was it not Beyoncé?

When my husband asked the concierges if she was staying at the Fitzwilliam’s they suddenly became very evasive saying they could not confirm the information and that we should talk to the manager. My husband went to see him again and asked very simply if they had rented our room to someone else. He became very confused, gave us again the story of lack of water. When my husband asked to see JUST ONE ROOM with no water, he said it was not possible.

I know this story is a bit long but there is only one conclusion: I doubt that Beyoncé or another VIP would stay in the standard room of the Fitzwilliam’s: they would certainly use the penthouse. But how about their staff, the desire for privacy that make certain of these people rent entire floors just to have peace and quiet…
This is maybe a possibility. I will never know for sure…and honestly now I do not care.

Whatever it was, we were told and told again A BARE FACE LIE and treated like perfect idiot. The older kids were really shocked because this behaviour is against the basic rule of education.
People should never be treated with disrespect, no matter if they stay in a 5 or 1 star hotel, no matter if they are dressed in Prada or in old clothes.
Respect is probably not a subject present in all the Hotel schools and probably not in every family. For sure this is not something we experienced with the assistant manager of the Fitzwilliam.

When you choose a nice hotel, you choose a certain number of elements that should never lack. I use a lot this kind of hotels also for work events. The area of St Stephen Green has other remarkable hotels (see my other review)

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THE FITZWILLIAMS TO ANY OF MY FRIENDS OR COLLEAGUES. NEVER.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Myself and my wife stayed here last weekend and were mostly happy with our stay. It is in a fantastic location, just off Grafton Street. The concierge was very helpful.
The bar area was nice but the staff were a slow with service. The room was lovely with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel but it was on the small side. (We stayed in an executive room). Breakfast was served until 12pm which I thought was a great bonus. Breakfast was quite good but we did not appreciate the cleaners hoovering the area all around us while we were eating. It would seem obvious that if you are offering a breakfast service until that 12pm, it would be greatly appreciated if one could have breakfast in peace and not be put off by the cleaners!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!