“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin

Save Saved
You added Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin to your Saves list
Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 St Stephen's Green, Dublin D2, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Special Offer
Exclusive Hotel Packages
Ranked #15 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights recently as I was getting married in a church nearby. I had booked 9 rooms altogether for our group and Lorna, the Events Manager, was extremely helpful dealing with the booking. The rooms were all very nice although the standard rooms are somewhat small. All of the staff were very nice during our stay although I found the service at breakfast somewhat disorganised. I was told by one staff member on one morning that as we were on a B&B rate all items on the menu were included. The following day I was told I had to pay a supplement for certain items. I think if you have been quoted a B&B rate then you should be able to have any item on the menu. Other than that the breakfast was very good. We also had the bar food for lunch one day which was lovely. The location of this hotel is perfect for anyone visiting Dublin and I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013
TheFitzwilliamDub, Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear SeoigheN,

Greetings and congratulations from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent wedding in the city. I am really pleased that you found Lorna extremely helpful and that you found the team very nice during your stay. I have passed your kind comments on to team, as feedback such as this makes everyone's day!

I am really pleased that you enjoyed central location of the hotel and the rooms. I am disappointed to read you found the breakfast less than organised. The vast majority of the breakfast items on offer are included on the bed & breakfast rate; there are a couple of exceptions and these are identified on the breakfast menu. I am really sorry that the team miscommunicated this information to you. However, I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and that you had an opportunity to dine I the bar as well.

SeoigheN, thank you for the recommendation and on behalf of all the team may I take this opportunity to wish both of you every happiness in your married life. We look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.

1,504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I spent a week in this great hotel in June after it was recommended by a friend with similar taste to my own. The location couldn't have been better as it's a 2 minute walk from Grafton St with it's charming shops, cafe's, pubs and world renowned buskers. It also stands opposite St Stephen's Green, is a short walk to Trinity College and the night life of the Temple Bar area. It may surprise some with it's minimalistic decor in the lobby, but the rooms are quite lovely and a good size by Irish standards. My king size bed had fine linens and good quality pillows and a charming sofa/window seat beneath large windows. There were all the usual amenities that come with a 5 star hotel. The bathroom products were especially good. The bathroom was quite large with a huge tub and shower above. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel but we went to the bar quite a few times where one could have a snack, light meal or something more. The staff couldn't be faulted and the concierge was especially helpful in regard to making helpful recommendations and booking trips, train tickets etc. There is a tiny gym with a few machines. I only went in a couple of times and was the only person there. The same occurred at the "business centre" which was very small and always empty. I will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet but I imagine the rooms facing the street could perhaps be noisier.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CCMcM2013,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the central location of the hotel overlooking St. Stephen's Green. We are a contemporary five-star hotel and I am really pleased you enjoyed the décor, size and amenities of your room.

I am sorry that you didn't have an opportunity to have breakfast with us; however I'm delighted to read you dined in the bar and that you enjoyed the quality of the food and service you received.

Our concierge team are exceptionally knowledgeable and I am really pleased that they provided you with useful recommendations and made several reservations for you.

CCMcM2013, I have passed your kind comments on to the team, as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day! Should your travels bring you to Dublin again, we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a nice place. The room was great. I am not a big fan of big-city hotels because you end up paying for parking and having to tip for every little thing. That being said this place is nice. It is very close to everything. We were able to walk about the center of town very easily from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joe,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the quality of the bedroom. We offer all our guests a preferential 24 hour parking rate, which is substantially cheaper than the hourly rates available in city centre car parks. I am sorry if you found this rate excessive.

We do not charge service charge and there is absolutely no expectation that any of our guests should "tip for every little thing". Should a guest wish to pay a gratuity, that is entirely up to that guest and it is entirely discretionary. I sincerely hope that you did not feel obliged to tip whilst staying with us.

Joe, should you travels bring you to Dublin again, we would be delighted to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice enough hotel. Room was quiet but quite small. Expected a bigger room for 5*. Nothing special compared to other 5*. Would say a good 4 star. Location great though. Didn't eat there so don't know about food. Would stay again but wouldn't necessarily be excited about getting back to it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lovesholz,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the central location of the hotel. I am sorry that you found your room small, however I cannot tell for your review which type of room you stayed in. We have several different room categories that vary in size and I feel that you were not in one of the more spacious rooms.

Lovesholz, when you are next planning to visit Dublin, please contact us directly so that we can determine which room type you stayed in and advise your of the other available room categories that offer you more space.

On behalf of all the team we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam in the near future.

CAMBRIDGE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The Fitzwilliams was a wonderful place to stay in Dublin. As others have stated, it is in a wonderful location - across the street from a lovely park and walking distance to almost everything in Dublin. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and nicely outfitted. The bathroom had one of the best bathtubs I've ever encountered - deep, long, and big enough for two people. If you have time, get a message from Ursula - she was really really good.

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms with a balcony - it was really nice.
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear soozeeq,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel overlooking St. Stephen's Green and the comfort and amenities of the bedroom and bathroom.

If you have time, get a message from Ursula - she was really really good.

I was really pleased to read you found the team friendly and helpful. Ursula is a talented therapist and I am delighted that you had an opportunity to receive one of her treatments. I have passed your kind comments on to the team as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day!

soozeeq, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Fitzwilliam Hotel is perhaps Dublin's most conveniently located hotel if you've come to see Dublin. It's walking distance from many of the city's most popular attractions and also just across the corner from where the buses park for Dublin's 'jump-on, jump-off' bus tours.
The rooms are beautiful and we found the staff friendly, helpful and gracious. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel but the breakfast offered was wonderful.
It has a very chic decor, very moderne but hardwoods throughout and a few lovely old portraits give the sense of Dublin's historic past. The Fitzwilliam is a wonderful combination of a lovely New World hotel with gracious Old World manners and service.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our street side room looking out over Dublin's hustle and bustle while not hearing an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sara,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the décor throughout.

I was really pleased to read you found the team friendly, helpful and gracious. I have passed your kind comments on to the team as feedback such as yours makes everyone's day! We believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast so much.

Sara, should your travels bring you to Dublin again we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've had a great trip through Ireland, staying and many diverse castles and B&Bs, but as I'm writing this review I'm in our room at the Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin, I'm regretting that we're booked here for another two nights.

Dinner the first night was OK, but I won't rave about the food when I can prepare a better salmon dish than they do (I don't cook much). It didn't taste fresh, either. Breakfast the next morning was a flop. I waited for the eggs at the buffet to get restocked so I could enjoy a hot breakfast. I waited some more but they never came, so I grabbed some cold food and sat down, only to be told by the hostess that I needed to move to another table (despite the empty table and open seating). Because the dining area is way too small for the size of the hotel, there wasn't another table, so I left my plate of cold scraps and went to the coffee shop next door.

I see in another review that someone praised the hotel for being quiet. This is actually my bigger complaint: The plumbing (or something) makes all sorts of noises, which is why I'm up writing this review two hours before I planned to wake up, with a steady sound of a pipe rattling in the wall like someone softly tapping a hammer. I would expect a hotel of this stature to work things like that out. If they move us to another room, then I'll know there is some other poor sap listening to the noise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Veloman9,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback whilst staying in the hotel. I have checked our records for the days preceding your review and the days immediately after and I have no record that matches the points you raise. This would suggest that you did not make any member of the team aware of your dissatisfaction, at any point during your stay (which is entirely your prerogative). Whilst we have a fully staffed hotel twenty-fours hours a day, unless we are made aware of a matter that is troubling a guest, we are unable to rectify that matter.

Veloman9, I truly regret that your sleep was disturbed and that breakfast did not live up to your expectations or mine. Should you wish to make contact with me directly, I would be more than happy to discuss the points you raised in more detail.

Resident Manager

Been to Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!