“better than many reviews suggest” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Leeson Inn Downtown

Save Saved
You added Leeson Inn Downtown to your Saves list
Leeson Inn Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Lower Leeson St, Dublin 2, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Ranked #140 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“better than many reviews suggest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked this accommodation to be close to the Sugar Rooms where I was going to a musical event. Only the day or so before going to I check the reviews here in Trip Advisor....and was appalled by what I read. So here goes.... our top floor room (no302) was clean, tasteful, recently refurbished I assume and I could not complain at all. The staff were very friendly and helpful, there were no unpleasant smells, the reception was attractive. Okay, there were no additional soaps in the room, but the towels were fine, and there was a phone too.

So at 114Euros perhaps a little over priced, yes there is some ongoing refurbishment but it doesn't distract from the stay, but the location is excellent and I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Friendly staff, Good location however the hotel is misrepresented on their website, the pictures are very misleading, the hotel is way overpriced at full rate, you could expect more from a travel lodge.

Room Tip: avoid top floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was shocked upon arrival at the condition of reception,the table and chairs in the foyer area are tired and the overall entrance is dirty and grubby.The receptionist told me she had no reservation and was quite rude,on checking the system again she found my details and grudgingly checked me in.The hallway and staircase is so dirty and mouldy,I am shocked this place is still open.
Our room was 206-the paint was chipped,the carpet was filthy,the handle fell off the wardrobe door when we opened it,the bathroom was dirty.The towels were threadbare with holes.
I hadn't expected 5 star accommodation,all I wanted was somewhere clean and pleasant.This was neither.
Directly outside our door were 2 steps down to the hallway,there was a filthy hoover left on the top of these steps from when I checked in (2pm)until 8 that night.I would never stay here again and would never recommend anyone else to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sligo, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Traveled up from Sligo for my Girlfriends Bday. We stayed stayed in room 102 for two nights. I think the title of this review sums up what I thought of the hotel in the simplest terms. The staff I spoke to where very polite. The room while small it was clean and tidy. The bedding was clean and fresh. The bathroom was clean and the towels fresh, however there was no shower gel or soap, just a bottle of hand soap. The shower itself was of such a high pressure, that it could in a pinch have been used quite effectively to clean masonry, which made the experience quite unpleasant.
There was no trouble returning to the hotel late at night as the front desk was manned and we only had to show are room cards to get our key.

Caernarfon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

So I booked a 'secret saver hotel' through expedia and got this hotel - needless to say after looking at the reviews I was very concerned! We were on the 3 floor which meant that we got to pass the lovely mouldy walls with flaking paint on the way up. (Photo's will be uploaded!) The room on the face of it looked reasonably presentable apart from the dodgy lamp shades. Bed linen and towels were clean, however I don’t think the window or shower have had a deep clean in a long time with a build-up of mildew and dust/dirt. The toilet was very noisy when flushed and the shower water temperature varied from just right to scalding hot and to tepid within a few seconds of each other - would have been dangerous for a child. On our departure I overheard the receptionist telling someone on the phone that she had received a number of complaints from guests in different rooms about their showers so this was not just a problem with our room (303).
I guess he most worrying problem of all was the missing 'break glass' fire alarm unit which we found on the floor, being on the third floor with only the staircase for access this was particularly shocking.
I also got a rat5her noisy wake-up call at 4:20a.m. Sunday morning with a large number of cars sounding their horns outside the hotel - I still don't know what the issue was.
Staff were pleasant enough and free Wi-Fi in reception was useful.

Needless to say I’m taking the above issues up with expedia as the Leeson Inn was in no way up to the standard of the 4* secret saver hotel I thought I was booking.

Room Tip: Are there any? Not 303 thats for certain!
Great Notley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

On a positive note, the room and bathroom and all linen were very very clean, if a little worn (definitely more than a couple of holes in the towels). The staff were very pleasant, but quite clearly couldn't care.
The decor was very dated, carpets and sofa (and the poor receptionists' chair) were threadbare.
Paint and plaster peeling off the walls.
Our room and en-suite was very small. The light fittings were detaching themselves from the wall, and after the first day the main light bulb blew. I think because of this whenever we subsequently had the water running, the taps and shower would emit small but sharp electric shocks! This didn't happen prior to the bulb blowing, or when the bathroom light was switched off. If you had no other options and found yourself here, definitely avoid room 204!!
Didn't risk eating in the restaurant, so can't comment on the quality of breakfast.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOM 204!!! Unless of course you like the bathroom appliances electrocuting you.
Waterford, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I wouldn't wish a night in this awful establishment on anyone. The first thing that hit me as I entered was the smell - I'm not quite sure what it was. We were in a room on the third floor - there is no lift and the experience gets increasingly worse the further up you go. The carpet is filthy and the walls look as if they are ready to cave in between mould,cracks and peeling paint. There was a pillow case of what I can only presume to be dirty linen thrown on the landing. The room was tiny with broken lamp shades and no toiletries in the bathroom. I have to presume the rate I paid was due to location as this place - it does not deserve the title "hotel"- had nothing else to recommend it. Avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Leeson Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!