“Great spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buswells Hotel

Save Saved
You added Buswells Hotel to your Saves list
Buswells Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23-27 Molesworth Street | City Centre - Stephens Green, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #36 of 178 hotels in Dublin
“Great spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

On arrival our shower wouldn't work properly. They were there within the minute to try and fix it. The man was very apologetic and took our bags to a new suite. These things happen, I was impressed with the quick response to sort our problem out. Great location and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2013
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Sunblock13, thank you for your review following your stay with us last month. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location so great.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Paul Gallagher.

564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Mountain Brook, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed at Buswells for second time this week. Location is perfect for exploring Dublin. Lobby area is lovely. Staff were helpful and friendly. Beds and linens are comfy and up to date, as are bathrooms. My only two criticisms are the WiFi system which is very persnickety, and the amount of trash bags, etc. that the cleaning crew leaves in the hallway as they are servicing the rooms. Otherwise very good experience. Would return again.

• Stayed July 2013
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Sherrie F, thank you for your review following your stay with us last week. It was great to welcome you back again and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay as much as your last visit.
I have passed your comments regarding the cleaning staff to our housekeeping manager.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Dublin.

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Out of the many hotels available for an overnight on our way out of Dublin I chose Buswells both for location and nostalgia. I specifically also chose a "suite" which was a big mistake in all senses. Far removed from the main part of the hotel, up endless flights of stairs and corridors to an attic - yes with two rooms - but dusty and unkempt and with no view through very dirty windows. I was too tired to move rooms though it was offered after I complained which begs the question what is wrong with these hotels that put you in the worst room and only give you something better after a song and dance routine? For the luxury of this suite experience I paid almost twice as much as other family members who were booked into standard rooms but who told me they had ample room! I have to say that the staff were very friendly and nice people.

• Stayed July 2013
Travelleralways2, thank you for your review following your stay with us recently.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Buswells Hotel is made up of a combination of five townhouses and therefore there are a number of stairs and corridors to some of our rooms. Both suites in the hotel are located in the same area, where we are unfortunately unable to install a lift.
I have spoken with our reservations staff to ensure that going forward any guest booking our suites are fully aware of the stairs & their location. With regards to the housekeeping issues that you mentioned, you have my assurance that these were looked into immediately.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments, these are vital to improving the service and product that we offer at the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Buswells Hotel in the near future,

Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Buswells is well located for seeing Dublin. Everything we wanted to see -- and there are many interesting tourist, shopping and eating/entertainment places -- were within walking distance, Prices vary, so check early and get a good rate. The front desk is very accommodating and breakfast is great. Rooms are pretty good, but do not have air conditioning.

Room Tip: Check early for rates. If travelling in the summer and there is a chance it will be hot, perhaps as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you Nick I for your great review following your stay with us recently. I am delighted to read that you made use of our great location for shopping, seeing the sights and entertaining.
You are correct about prices - the earlier you book, the better price you get.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Dublin.

Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at Buswell's in two 3-night visits before and after our Rick Steves tour of Ireland. This is an older hotel centrally located to just about everyplace a tourist in Dublin would want to visit. It's across the street from Linster House (home of the Irish Parliament and Govt. offices), the National Library, and the excellent National Archaeology Museum. It is a 5 minute walk to shopping and dining on Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green Park, and Merrion Square Park, and about 10-15 walk to the Temple Bar area. It's also a less than 5 minute stroll to Trinity College. The rooms vary in size and amenities, so if you don't fancy the room you booked into once you get there, please see the amazing staff at the front desk and they will accommodate you if at all possible. The concierge will also help you with planning your visit in and around Dublin. The breakfast was great - most folks would likely be happy with the Continental breakfast for 14 euros, but if you want the Full Irish breakfast, it's 3 euros more. There is also free wi-fi. We would gladly stay there again when and if our travels take us back to Dublin, as I hope they do!

Room Tip: Room 111 has a window that looks onto a roof with a heating duct - the room itself is otherwise fine...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GCJones, thank you for your great review following your stay with us last month. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stays and found our location so central for sightseeing all out cities wonderful sights.
I am delighted that our staff could accommodate you during your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Dublin.

Anon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been staying at Buswells since 1981. The only time I did not stay there was in the late 90s, maybe 97, when Buswells was closed for renovations. The Tourist Board recommended a dreadful hotel that I think of with horror every time I go by it (hint: it was on Harcourt Street). What I love most about Buswells is the staff. I've just read many of the recent comments, and as they all make clear, whenever you have a problem, the wonderful Buswells staff will help you immediately. They are always, always pleasant, intelligent, and motivated by the desire for hotel guests to be happy and comfortable. If you ask them, at odd hours of the day or night, for more toilet paper, or an extra sheet, or a do-not-disturb sign, or paper and pencil, or another lamp, or just about anything, you will find them at your door with it in minutes. I consider Buswells Bar my home-away-from-home. Americans should know that 'bar' does not mean in Dublin what it means in the States: it is a beautiful, dark-wood-panelled pub-restaurant where you can get as little as a cup of peppermint tea or as much as a shepherd's pie and ice cream or grilled salmon or Irish stew at almost any time. You can sit there for hours over a pot of Irish tea and no one pesters you to order more. I hold 'office hours' there, meeting Irish friends for business conversations. It is easy to treat friends to food and drink, if you want to, because the Bar staff will just put the expenses on your hotel bill. In fact, during several of my recent visits, I ran off with friends to our next engagement and forgot altogether to pay, but the staff simply asked me the next day if the charges on the bill were correct....very tactful of them! For those who don't know Dublin, I should add that there is no more central location: you are within minutes of several museums, the National Library, restaurants, shopping, coffee houses, pubs, everything. --- I notice also all the comments about the rooms, and they are correct: all the rooms are different from one another. If you want to stay in a Holiday-Inn-type place, Buswells is not for you. Depending on whether you want cool air or warmth, silence or signs of life, a large or a small bathroom, bright sun or shade, etc etc, you will simply have to try different rooms and see what you prefer. Back in the 80s and 90s, when I knew Buswells less well, the kindly staff would let me look at several rooms and tell them which one I wanted. --- One sign that the staff is happy to be working at Buswells is that many of them have been working there for *almost* as long as I've been staying there: I'm thinking of Kathleen, Barbara, and Mary. Vicki is a more recent addition, but I hope she'll continue there as long as I'm still going back and forth. --- And no, this is not a review really written by a hotel manager: I'm an English professor who teaches Irish writing. The presence of Buswells in Irish history and literature is another subject, but no time for it now: I have a life outside Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: When you make your reservation, specify what is important to you: high ceilings, or warmth, or quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Janet G, thank you so much for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us at Buswells Hotel.
It is our pleasure to welcome you every year and we hope you will continue to consider us your home from home for many more years.
Thank you again for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back again to Buswells Hotel soon.

Your sincerely,
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location is great as it is easy walking distance to Grafton St, Temple Bar, Trinity College, St Stephen's Green, etc. Plus it is on a quieter street so there is very little noise at night which is an issue for other places.

We did encounter a couple of issues with our stay. Our room was at the back of the hotel (as requested due to TA reviews saying it would be quieter) but the wifi did not reach back there. This was a big deal to us, but we were prepared to live with it and just get wifi in the lobby. Then the shower did not get cold enough - that's right, it was scalding hot - and no matter which way we turned the knob, it would not go colder than burn level. So there was no way we could shower.

To the hotel's credit, they promptly moved us to another room, which had a good shower and wifi access so our stay improved dramatically.

Room Tip: A room at the back is quieter but will have no wifi access.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PaulGallagherMngr, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Ricola22, thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read you found our location so great during your stay with us at Buswells Hotel. It is disappointing to read of the issues you experienced with the shower but I am glad that we could accommodate you in an alternative room.
I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Buswells Hotel on your next visit to Dublin.

Paul Gallagher.
General Manager.

Been to Buswells Hotel? Share your experiences!