“Great hotel in a great location! I love Dublin!” 5 of 5 stars

Phoenix Park Hotel
38-39 Parkgate Street, Dublin 8, Ireland (Formerly Phoenix Park House)   |
Ranked #128 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Paris, France
“Great hotel in a great location! I love Dublin!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I spent 4 nights here and enjoy every minute of my stay. It's in a great location close to the main train station and the city centre. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. I'll definitely be returning, I love Dublin city!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Last minute booked into phoenix park hotel and although they were very busy with a huge concert in phoenix park all the staff were very helpful and friendly and nice. Especially from a nightporter called Lucas. I would like to say many thanks for the wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Spent two nights at this little hotel and I had a very pleasant stay, the room was comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. If I ever go to Dublin city again, I will return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I treated my cousin who was visiting from Texas to a concert in Dublin in April 2012 and an overnight stay in the city. Since it was a special occasion for us, I decided to spend a lot of time looking for a nice hotel to bring her to. After reading some very good reviews on tripadvisor and seeing the hotels own website with pictures of the newly renovated and decorated rooms, I felt comfortable in reserving a room at the Phoenix Park Hotel. On arrival to the property at 10am Saturday morning, we knew we were far to early to check in but were able to store our luggage and carried on to do a bit of sightseeing. When we arrived back at 1pm our room was still not ready so we had lunch around the corner to pass an hour. So at 2pm we made our way back to the hotel to check in and have nice hot showers etc before we headed out to our concert.

There was some confusion at the desk as to whether our room was actually ready or not but it was finally decided that it was. So we received our key and followed the instructions to find our room. We were quite happy and comfortable when we saw the nice new lift that took us to the 2nd floor. The corridor heading towards room 15 was clean and fresh. But here is where our comfortable feelings ended. We were told to go through the door at the end of the corridor on the left and our room would be in front of us. When we went through this door, we found ourselves at the top of a staircase on a seperate landing that seemed to be in an adjacent building and were greeted by a horribly pungent musty smell. This landing area was dark and dismal and felt like it was part of a deralict building and should never have been seen by a hotel guest. We eventually managed to open the dodgy lock and entered room 15.

How this room could be rented to paying guests, I dont know. Two single beds that only just fit in, no headboards, 2 old box bases... I dont think I have ever seen these in a modern hotel. No room for bed side lockers or lamps. There was no telephone as advertised on the website. No towels, no shampoos, no shower gels and no hairdryer (the basics you expect these days). The furniture in the room seemed to be old odds and ends taken from someones house, not what was advertised in the pictures on the website. My cousin was shocked by it all and I was, of course, embarrassed. And the bathroom... a quick glance at the shower head made my mind up for me, that I was not going to be having a nice hot shower at any stage during my stay. It was falling apart with rubber seals hanging from it. The general look of the tiles in the shower and the appearance of the tiles and grouting outside the shower didnt entice me to use it. The toilet seat was broken and the mirror over the sink was old and had metallic staining in all four corners.

There was no heating on in the room at any time which explained the musty smell. And although there was a kettle with two cups, the cups were badly stained. Overall, we were not happy. As there was no phone in our room, I did go down to the front desk to complain but couldn't find anyone to complain to and as we had plans for the rest of the day, we had no choice but to go out and then speak to someone when we got back that evening. We returned to the hotel that night before midnight to find the door locked. So we had to knock on the window of the bar to get someone to let us in. I never thought this happened in hotels. So we couldn't find any desk staff to speak to again. Thankfully the bedlinen in our room was clean so we did get some sleep. If I had managed to find a member of staff, I would have asked for a full refund and we would have gone to a different hotel for the night.

We felt, in the morning, that we just wanted to check out ASAP and get an earlier train home. So we went to the front desk and yet again there was no one there to speak to or check us out. We had to shout to someone through the kitchen that we were just leaving the key. This type of service really isn't acceptable in this day and age for paying guests. We did meet another couple that were trying to check out too who had actual Key Cards for their room which led us to think that maybe all of the rooms in the hotel weren't as old and terrible as ours. That perhaps infact thay were all exactly like they appeared on the website, but that we weren't given a room of the same standard. I do know that the hotel was fully booked that night, which led us to wonder if we had in fact been put in an overflow room which was well below the standard of the rest of the hotel and under normal circumstances wouldn't be rented to people. And if this is the case, why did we pay the same amount as everyone else and have to stay in that kind of accommodation ? What we booked and paid for is definitely not what we got.

When I got home, I composed a letter of complaint and emailed it to the management of the hotel on the 25th April 2012. To this day I still haven't received so much as an acknowledgement that my email was receied never mind an apology ...... NEVER AGAIN !!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
liam s, General Manager at Phoenix Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
My name is Liam and Im the general manager of the Phoenix Park Hotel can I personally appolagies for your bad expeirence with us ,we have since renovated the room in question and you were allocated the over flow room due to the hotel being over booked that night,which is no excuse as you are a paying guest and we take full responsiblity for your unhappy stay again I would like to applogies and asure you this will not happen again.
sincerely Liam
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed for one night for an early start at Heuston (a 5-minute walk away) the next morning. After reading some bad reviews on here I was a little nervous, but everything turned out surprisingly fine. We were in two rooms - one was a little on the small side especially with two pieces of luggage, while we got an upgrade to a spacious triple for the other room. Rooms were overall pleasant and clean, as were the bathrooms. Nice shower fittings, though shower pressure could probably be improved. Wifi wasn't available in rooms but in the lobby (understandable, due to the thick brick walls of the old building the hotel is in). We left too early for breakfast but tried dinner there which was alright - there are a couple of pubs down the road that look quite inviting and well-patronised too. Staff were warm and you could tell they were making an effort (especially the young lady who was running reception and waitressing at the same time!). Would come back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel last weekend formy partners birthday... I have to say we really enjoyed it!

The room was very spacious and modern, the staff were very friendly and the food was great... My boyfriend said it was the best breakfast he'd had in a long time.

The bar is very cosy, perfect for a night cap and the dinner menu was very reasonable

All in all we will be back for my birthday treat!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Myself and a colleague took lunch in this hotel during November, 2011. I had eaten very little that day and was feeling fine prior to my lunch at the Phoenix Park Hotel dining room.

I ordered a stir-fry, with noodles and chicken. It tasted ok but within an hour or two I was beginning to feel very unwell.

I will spare you the nasty details - suffice to say I became very ill and remained ill for nearly a full week.

I missed work, social engagements, etc.

When I got better I sent an e-mail to the hotel, explaining what had happened. No response.

I telephoned many times, but it was never a good time to speak to a manager.

Mistakes happen and sometimes even the best of kitchens just get it wrong -- but the lack of response from these people concerns me nearly more than the food poisoning itself.

My advice: Avoid, avoid, avoid!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Phoenix Park Hotel? Share your experiences!