“Very tasty lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #179 of 1,795 restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: From Georgina Campbell's Ireland GuideThis restaurant has been Ireland’s benchmark Chinese restaurant for two generations, and is a previous recipient of this award. It should in perhaps be named The Phoenix as, not long after moving to new premises, this family-owned favourite closed last winter and appeared to be a victim of the recession. Then, to the delight of its many fans, it reopened in the summer of 2010 after a six month hiatus. And, to a collective sigh of relief, it soon transpired that its modern interpretations of classic Sichuan cuisine are better than ever: classic dishes like tea smoked duck have been tweaked and given updated presentation by the brigade of young chefs who are reinterpreting traditional Sichuan and Cantonese cuisine with modern style. A special section of "Chef's Recommendations" highlights the kitchen's authentic Sichuan dishes based on centuries old recipes – and well-versed servers explain dishes and their ingredients, offering to tone down the amounts of chilli oil, Sichuan pepper and hot oil, if requested. The layout of the modern dining room has been improved too - and, on fine days, the glass frontage opens onto an inviting outdoor terrace with umbrella tables and seating.
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Very tasty lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My company booked us two large tables here as part of business meet and greet last year. I cannot comment on the prices but looked competetive. We had a set lunch and was a very worthwhile two hours spent here. Although some of my colleagues had a little too much to drink, the staff were very well placed with experience and tact in dealing with them, without disturbing other diners.
The food tasted fresh and I was quite impressed that no one was left waiting while everyone else was digging into their meal. The weather was iclement so we stayed indoors but I can imagine it would be nice to sit outside when the seasons permit. The waiting staff were polite and on hand without being overbearing and I genuinely enjoyed the whole set up.
I would gladly pay for myself for a meal here when next in town.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“Possibly the best Chinese Restaurant in Dublin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

China Sichuan is the best Chinese culinary experience I've had in Dublin. I have a few more to try before crowning this one the best. :-) The food is simply heavenly. Situated behind the Beacon and Dunnes Stores in Sandyford.

My Wife and I went her for the first time and were lucky enough to get a table before the place filled up. As I was perusing the menu I couldn't help but look at all the fabulous dishes coming out of the kitchen. So I went for two starters and a main from the à la carte while my Wife went for the value menu (she found her two favourite dishes on this menu).

As a person who adores spicy/hot food, I was able to ask for the dishes to be made very spicy/hot, without masking the other flavours. We'll both be back for more.

Dublin, Ireland
“Best Chinese food in Dublin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Love this restaurant. Very comfortable and you are not cramped in at all. The choice is amazing and the flavours of the food are amazing. The staff are really friendly and so helpful. There are lots of choices on the menu and a great range for vegetarians too. There was a lovely gap between each course - nice time to sip the wine and chat. They serve Champagne by the glass which is a lovely way to start a meal. We could not make up our minds on what to eat so we asked our server to help us - after considering our likes and tastes preferences we were presented with an amazing selection of tasty starters, a superb fish dish and a beef dish, with noodles, rice and green beans - superb beans - good enough to be a main course on their own. Desserts were delicious - a chocolate torte and a blood orange cheesecake - devine! With so many restaurants in Dublin you can be spoilt for choice - make no mistake China Sichuan is not one to miss.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Still one of the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This Chinese restaurant has always been one of the best in Dublin. I hadn't eaten there since they moved to Sandyford so I was a little concerned. Tried a set lunch with a friend. It was excellent and good value too.
I had a starter and main course. Starter was Chicken Spring rolls which were good and tasty. My friend had the shredded chicken spicy salad (Bon Bonm) which was really nice. I had the shredded pork in Hot & Spicy Garlic sauce which was gorgeous. My friend had Beef in black Pepper sauce which was also really good. Boiled rice was nice a fluffy. Chinese tea was also very good.
Although its a bit out of the way for me I will be back. The layout and decor is very inviting and the tables outside could be very popular in summer.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very, Very good chinese food. Place was packed but with reservations there was no wait. Well done and you can see by the awards on the wall for Restaurant of the year in Dublin (Ethnic) that it is a very good restuarant. Crispy beef dinner was excellent and everyone else in my group enjoyed their mains.

I would highly recommend this for business or friends.