“Elegance and Style!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
San Francisco, California
“Elegance and Style!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have stayed here several times and obviously love this quiet, stately gem of a hotel! Very well-trained staff who remember your name and face and your "wishes"--fabulous! Beautifully furnished rooms, immaculate and well tended. Now the breakfast. Unbelievable! So yummy and again, the staff are so pleasant and greet you by name every day.
The location is the best: off the busy square so noise is not an issue. We always love to stay in hotels that are romantic and NOT convention-style hotels. The Merrion is perfect! We will return--

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely wonderful review following your recent stay with us which I was pleased to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay. Every one of my colleagues’ endeavours to provide our guests with as comfortable a stay as possible and we are glad that you had such an enjoyable time. Your words speak for themselves really and have given the entire team a big boost.

We are honoured to be your hotel of choice when visiting Dublin and I hope it won’t be too long before we have the opportunity and the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

In 1978, my college classmates and I were fortunate enough to take a trip to magical Ireland. We kept saying we would return but it took us 35 years to get our proverbial acts together. It was worth the wait. A lot has changed in 3 1/2 decades (including the absence of our priest and nun chaperones this time around). The Merrion Hotel was our first stop in this reunion tour (note -- only three of us, thank goodness, made this trip). We each had a junior suite. Well, it might not be the least expensive way to house oneself in the fantastic city of Dublin, but it sure as heck is worth every single penny. From the minute you hit the sidwalk outside of the Merrion, greeted by a charming, top-hatted doorman, you know you have reached a very special destination. The service, from the afore-mentioned doorman, to the bellboys, to the front desk is superior. I have to make special mention of three groups -- the housekeepers, the concierge staff, and the spa staff.

First - housekeeping ... I travel a fair amount and I have never, in lo these many years on this earth, seen such immaculate conditions every single moment of my stay in a residence. The suite was beautiful but made more so by the attention to detail of the housekeeping staff. I am a swimmer (they have a fantastic pool and spa, btw) which means I am prone to using a LOT of towels and can create a bit of a mess. I never once returned to a room that was less than pristine. Magical these little elves!

Concierge staff -- from LISTENING to our interests for dinner venues they selected exactly the right mix of restaurants each night of our stay. I have to admit ... during that last trip to Ireland, fine dining (or even good dining) was not something we discovered. Not this time. Ireland and its "Good Food Ireland" initiative has surpassed all our expectations. Spectacular. Every meal was fantastic and I owe this to the brilliance of the concierge staff. They were very patient with our middle-aged eccentricities and could not have been more spot on with their recommendations. They secured the perfect reservations, always had cars when we needed them, and when some of the group needed some attention to their hair (blow outs), even arranged to make that happen. I'm not sure what these folks could not do!

Spa -- A lot of hotels, especially high end like the Merrion, have spas. But not staffed like this. Again, it is the staffing at this residence that makes it so far superior to its counterparts. I had a bit of a manicure issue. Sounds trite but trust me, if you found yourself traveling around with nail peeling off you, too would find this a sort of "emergency." The staff were just lovely. Not only did they resolve the issue for me, they remembered me every morning as I shuffled by en route to the pool and checked in to make sure the old nails were holding up. OK, yes, it is the little things!

I have not stopped talking about this hotel since I returned to the States. Save those pennies and make this a "must stop" on your next trip tp Dublin. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: My suite overlooked the gardens - the back of the residence - on the second floor. Very quiet. Lovel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us so comprehensively.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again and certainly that it will not be another 35 years before you return to Dublin!

Thank you again for your encouraging words and we are genuinely pleased we were able to contribute in some way to your special reunion tour of Ireland.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My sister and I stayed at The Merrion at the beginning of our vacation and loved it so much we came back to Dublin to stay another night. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Service top notch. Centrally located for walking everywhere. Will definitely stay here when we come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following you and your sister’s recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your generous comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel and I have shared them with all my colleagues. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a stay as much as you did and I am glad you both felt so warmly welcomed.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be as memorable as this one.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Merion is a great hotel in the downtown Dublin. Walking distance from the main scenic views and shops.
Service is great with friendly staff.
Take the opportunity o dine at their special restaurant. It is expensive but food is fantastic and it is worth the experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and you have as an enjoyable stay as the last.

Thank you again for your kind words.

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed here for four nights with a group. The service has been impeccable. The rooms are cleaned twice a day, breakfast was very good as we're the food in drinks in the lobby bar. The rooms were luxurious, the gym/pool well maintained and the gardens beautiful. I wold highly recommend this hotel for anybody who wants to be well pampered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read your very encouraging comments about the service and facilities here at The Merrion. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The main building of the property is in a combination of 17th century town homes that are beautifully decorated and maintained in their proper elegance. The property includes some newer additions in the rear (17 yrs old I believe) which all surround a lovely courtyard with a central fountain, sculptures, and seating for tea or lunch weather permitting.

The service was some of the best I have experienced. Top Notch!

My wife and I enjoyed a spa treatment and a swim in the pool. We were both very pleased with our treatments.

I would highly recommend this hotel if it fits in the budget. We also stayed at the Westbury Hotel in Dublin and were not very impressed, but the price was considerably less.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team and facilities here at The Merrion. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you and your wife did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Living in Rathmines, Dublin, we never stayed in The Merrion before. But, we received the present of a voucher for an overnight stay and a meal in Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud. What a wonderful experience. The staff are really well trained and demonstrate a great attitude towards the guests. We were made to feel most welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for them. A special treat was breakfast brought to our room on a very clever trolley/table. The best value for €5 ever.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you and we all hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Been to The Merrion Hotel? Share your experiences!