“Not blarney..” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Not blarney..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent a night here last summer,2012. Got a good deal only a day or two beforehand, as far as I can remember by booking direct.
Given a magnificent room with very comfy beds though this one lacked a decent view, but perfect to come back and change/sleep in after enjoying the City. Bathroom goodies by Asprey - no diamonds within though. Still, the name looks good in my bathroom too! Sorry, how naff! For a brief stay it is ideally placed - just off the beautiful Merrion Square and opposite the impressive Government buildings. Museums and Galleries close by and the main railway station is within walking distance - the other side of the Liffey.
Wonderful public rooms, great for people watching, sipping cocktails and taking tea. Room service impressive too. Uniformed doormen to fetch and carry...
The hotel is actually made up of two or three Georgian townhouses, much extended to the rear, one of which has a blue plaque proclaiming it as the birthplace of the Duke of Wellington - yes, that one.
Much acclaimed smart restaurant, but as I was paying for the meal we settled for the The Cellar Restaurant - clearly very popular with Dubliners and with good reason. Still quite pricey and worthy of dressing up.
Didn't have a chance to sample the spa..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review following your stay with us last summer and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

1,425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Merrion gets everything right. As expected: the rooms are extremely comfortable and well equipped, everything is well maintained, the bar has a wide range of good wines as well as interesting cocktails, the breakfast is scrummy and the spa and pool inviting. But the real joy is the warm atmosphere. Faultless and friendly service, the smell of the turf fires, the tasteful furniture and outstanding art collection all combine to make it nearly impossible to leave. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us very soon.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

A true 5 star experience. We arrived early and were upgraded to a junior suite! The service was impeccable; the room very well equipped and had everything we needed. There was always a member of staff available if we needed anything. Recommend the Cellar Bar for food and great service. Spa was perfect after a day’s shopping and site seeing. Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite - Its well worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am delighted to read that you plan on returning to stay with us in the future. I only hope that stay is as memorable as your last.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We treat ourselves to a stay in Dublin city every now and then and this was our first time staying in The Merrion.. From the valet parking to the reception to the comfortable quiet rooms( not to mention location/open fires...).I would highly recommend... All staff are so professional and courteous and as it was my husbands birthday(although he only mentioned it in passing)there was a little birthday treat in the room for him...its the little things that make a hotel stand apart from the rest(Not to mention Danny De Vito and Michael Flatley staying the same night!)and we will definately be back,hopefully for longer next time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about your stay with us here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again. I am glad we were able to commemorate your husbands birthday in a small way and thank you for choosing to stay with us on this special occasion.

Roma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This a an excellent hotel with a very relaxing atmosphere. I bet the best in Dublin. Room quality and comfort are of a superior category. So was breakfast, up to the top standard of the hotel. Needless to say that all the staff is very professional and courteous. Very convenient location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Merrion for 7 days recently. This was our third time. They were good
enough to give us a double bedded room at the single bed rate. It had been about 16 months
since our last stay. There has been quite a change in personnel, which is sad when you had
such a good time previously. The new people were just as friendly as always, however things
seemed a little more disorganized. One thing, they had our days which were to have
breakfast completely messed up. But I am sure things will get straightened out. The service and atmosphere is way above all the other hotels we've have stayed at. They are always ready to help and answer questions. Fortunately, David, a lounge server is still at Merrion. It is so nice to
be able to come in at 2 AM and have a leisurely snack and drinks in the lounge, and in front of
a Fireplace.That cannot be equaled with any place I have stayed at. I will stay there again when
in Dublin.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again. I was disappointed to read your comments about some organisational problems regarding breakfast and would welcome further details from you about this so I can follow up thoroughly.

Thank you again for your words of praise and I am delighted to see you plan on staying with us again. to that end please don’t hesitate to contact us in advance so we can make any arrangements on your behalf.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed at the Merrion for my 50th birthday last weekend for 3 nights with my family, what a great time we had, we ate in the cellar bar the first night, the food was like michelin star and very reasonable too, on the 3rd night we ate in the cellar restaurant, a bit more expensive but equally as nice. I've stayed in many hotels in Dublin but the Merrion is by far the best, it really earns its 5 stars, the staff are so nice and friendly, I had an Indian head massage €55 for 30 minutes was very nice, the pool and steam room was also lovely, the bedrooms are really luxurious, we had 2 rooms interconnecting overlooking the garden, I really love this hotel and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am delighted to read that you plan on returning to stay with us in the future; I only hope that stay is as memorable as your last.

May I take this opportunity also to wish you a belated happy birthday and thank you for choosing to stay with us on this special occasion.

Peter Mac Cann

Been to The Merrion Hotel? Share your experiences!