“Easy to see why it is number 1.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
3 Nts For Less FR €215 PN
Ranked #1 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Easy to see why it is number 1.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Excellent hotel. This is really on par with the top hotels in the world. We normally stay at the westbury but decided to try the Merrion. From a friendly and helpful concierge staff to a multilingual reception staff to a guided tour of hotel and room. Rooms are moderately sized for a city centre hotel but every conceivable extra. Even down to bottle warmer and bath foam for baby. Even the baby had his own bath robe (very posh indeed!!). Food in cellar restaurant is excellent and is moderately priced for fine food. Despite the fact that this hotel is expensively furnished the staff are very child friendly and tolerant and if my child is happy then I am happy. Stayed for one night but will be back. Only small gripe was the habit of reserving tables in the drawing room, certain tables should be kept free for residents. But despite that there are nice touches in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I have taken on board your feedback about availability of tables in our Drawing Rooms also.

We are particularly pleased that your child enjoyed their stay too and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

1,425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
N. Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying in The Merrion again two weeks ago. This was our fourth visit in the last couple of years and it is without doubt one of the best hotels in the world. The staff are extremely professional yet relaxed and friendly. The rooms are elegant, especially in the main house, and the beds are big and comfy. Even our minor complaint about a noisy family above our room was dealt with perfectly. As incurable foodies, the breakfast is always important to us and we were very impressed with the with a cooked breakfast that was perfectly cooked. The chefs clearly using high quality ingredients and knowing what to do with them. We were sorry to leave this beautiful and luxurious yet cosy haven and look forward to next time grandma takes the children for a sleepover so that we can race down to Dublin for another night at the Merrion.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Both my colleagues and I were thrilled to read your very kind comments and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We are honoured that The Merrion continues to be your hotel of choice when you visit Dublin and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here as a big pre-Christmas treat with my significant other - it's a hotel I always wanted to experience, and perhaps I was simply overexpecting, but the reality just didn't quite live up to it. Staff are faultless - they are truly 5*. And the bed was awesome - absolutely huge. But the room looked a bit tired round the edges, especially the bathroom (never mind the weighing scales which were about 4 kgs out - thankfully 4 kgs lower, not higher, otherwise I would have left the place screaming!). The biggest disappointment was the breakfast in the Cellar Restaurant. For a handsome €30-something you get a full Irish breakfast. I asked for a vegetarian full Irish, and was offered an additional tomato and a couple more mushrooms. Anything with a bit more creativity would have been welcome! We both ordered poached eggs - and they arrived almost cold. Toast wasn't offered but had to be ordered (that is SO part of a full Irish!) - but then no butter came with it, and the same happened to the lady on the next table (there wasn't any butter at the buffet either)! Good that they have a swimming pool but again I just imagined it to be a bit, well, posher, for the price paid. Overall - I will be spending my pre-Christmas splurges somewhere else in the future, I am sorry to say.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us before last Christmas here at The Merrion.

I was delighted to read your encouraging comments about my colleagues but of course disappointed that other aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations. As you will appreciate given some months have passed since you stayed with us, it is difficult for me to investigate fully your issues so I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly on generalmanager@merrionhootel.com. Perhaps then you will allow me the opportunity to address any concerns you have had.

With regards to breakfast in our Cellar Restaurant I would like to clarify that butter is provided on the tables in the restaurant as opposed to on the buffet for hygiene reasons.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope to speak with you soon regarding your experience in more detail.

Naperville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have read the great reviews and was very excited to book two nights for our family of 5. We were quoted 310 Euro per night per room, with an additional 50 Euros for the pleasure of being offered a pull out bed for one of my young adult children (over 12), as they have no triple rooms. Are they out of their minds? I actually thought they were so I wrote back for clarification! They responded offering me a new option of booking 3 rooms! Doesn't that sound like a great way to spend a FAMILY vacation, and a great value too! Please understand that I have not been to the Merrion, I am sure it is wonderful... but don't waste your time if you are traveling with your family. By the way, unlike many other beautiful hotels in Dublin, the Merrion does not have interconnected rooms either!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I would like to take a moment to offer clarification that we do in fact have interconnecting rooms along with a number of 2-bedroom suites which many families have enjoyed through the years. We would like to think we are a family friendly hotel and offer amenities tailored for our younger guests on a regular basis through our Miss & Master Merrion program.

Having read your correspondence with my colleague I am at a loss as to understand your grievance given your questions were responded to in a timely fashion and our procedures for the cost of an extra bed for one of our Superior Rooms were explained.

Should you require any further explanation please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Peter MacCann
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is 5 star all the way! Rooms are beautiful and I can't fault any of the staff as their service goes above and beyond most hotels! Will be back very soon! We ate in the cellar restaurant while we were here, fantastic spot and the food was really tasty!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments. I was also delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience at the Cellar Restaurant and I have shared them with both the Restaurant and Kitchen teams and they say a very big “thank you” as well.

I hope it is not too long before you return to us again.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked this through whatahotel.com who offered complimentary perks one of which included lunch or dinner. When we arrived hotel said we had not booked the right room to avail of this offer even though the email confirming booking made no mention of this. Hotel did not honour this. I sent an email of complaint to both the website and the hotel and as yet have not received a reply from either. This is a lovely hotel and overall we were very impressed with amenities, room and service but not happy that our complaint wasn't even acknowledged. Pity, as otherwise I would have given this five out of five.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

While I was pleased to read your very kind comments about the service and your room here at the Hotel I am disappointed that your email to us regarding amenities was not responded to in a more timely fashion. I am aware that we have responded to you now and I hope the explanation therein meets with your understanding. Unfortunately, this particular website had incorrectly displayed what guests who booked with them were to receive and furthermore, had not been given authorization by The Merrion to publish these details. When we became aware of the issue we contacted the website to have them taken down which you will now see has been done.

Thank you again for your review and indeed your email and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. If I can be of any assistance with your arrangements please don’t hesitate to contact me personally.

Portmarnock, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed overnight in The Merrion Hotel. From the moment we arrived, the surroundings and service were absolutely five star. The rooms were well appointed and very luxurious, the bar and common areas were welcoming and extremely comfortable. We ate in the Cellar restaurant where the food was excellent and the wine list had a fantastic selection to choose from. Breakfast was extremely plentiful and very tasty. We also enjoyed relaxing in the spa which was quiet when we were there. The location is excellent - within walking distance of St Stephens Green and Grafton Street. Overall I would highly recommend the Merrion and would most definitely stay there again!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about your stay with us here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Been to The Merrion Hotel? Share your experiences!