“Gracious and elegant haven in Dublin” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Dine & Dream in Luxury
Ranked #1 of 174 Hotels in Dublin
San Francisco, California
“Gracious and elegant haven in Dublin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Merrion for three days in October 2012 and couldn't recommend it more if you're looking for an elegant retreat in Dublin!

I stayed in a Merrion Suite in the Main House, which overlooked the garden. The suite was very spacious (it would have been comfortable to entertain in) and beautifully furnished. I appreciated that the suite had all the modern conveniences you would expect in a luxury hotel while still incorporating a lot of charming Georgian period detail. I especially liked that the room was decorated with many interesting antique engravings and prints (as is the rest of the hotel). It's like an art gallery and hotel in one.

The hotel could not have a better location: it's steps from St. Stephen's Green and Merrion Square, Trinity College, many museums, as well as lots of restaurants and shops. My companion and I were able to walk everywhere during our stay which really enhanced our trip.

I would recommend tea in the drawing room to anyone staying in the hotel, it was delicious and the setting couldn't have been lovelier.

The only real downside of the hotel is the high prices of the rooms. But I did certainly feel it was worth the cost, as the hotel met my every expectation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Clea17,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

A much needed two day stay at the Merrion felt like two weeks. Elegance, charm and an overall sense of calm and comfort prevailed. The facilities are excellent, the staff from doorman to chambermaid, a total delight. Our room was perfect with everything we needed and more, beautifully and tastefully decorated, as are all the areas in the hotel. Bathroom was just fabulous. This hotel creates a feeling of being in a family country hotel - in the middle of a gorgeous part of Dublin. Wonderful food and maitre d (and staff) in the Celler Room. What can we say - perfection all round. We would have quite happily not stepped outside the door of the hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden - delightful.
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Merrion is a lovely hotel, but the staff- from the doormen to the concierge to the front desk who went above and beyond- made the stay all the more pleasant. I found the pros to be: (1) the charming Georgian style of the hotel, including the cozy spots for tea, (2) the fantastic bathroom, including a large soaking tub, bath robes and toiletries from Asprey London, (3) the small extras such as fresh orange juice, fruit & tea outside the gym, (4) complimentary wireless, and (5) the staff who were always welcoming, friendly and ever so helpful. The only slight con was the gym was a bit dark and could be larger with better equipment- for such a beautiful and meticulous hotel, it should have a top notch gym (although it does have a gorgeous pool & spa).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Kristisk8,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about all aspects of your stay here at The Merrion. It is very satisfying for all the team here when we read comments like yours as it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. Thank you also for your feedback about the gym in the Tethra Spa. I am very aware of that feeling of space but rest assured that if and when the opportunity arises this will be addressed as it has been to the forefront of our minds for some time now.

London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our family just returned from a weekend in Dublin at The Merrion, and we can't say enough nice things about this hotel. For its friendly and welcoming staff, its immaculate service, the gorgeous public rooms, the completely elegant, beautifully decorated (and quiet!) rooms and suites, and its perfect location, this is THE hotel you should choose for your stay in Dublin. Did I mention the friendly and welcoming staff??? They were lovely with our children, and wonderful with all of us, anticipating our every need and accommodating any request with grace; every service, from housekeeping to room service to the help of the wonderful concierges and doormen, was executed perfectly and discreetly. Somehow, The Merrion strikes a perfect balance between sheer elegance and total lack of snobbery. Highly, highly recommended - we will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear justhe4ofus,

Many thanks for the wonderful and comprehensive review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to stay with us again.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three days to celebrate my 60th. On arrival there was a chocolate cake in my room marked "Happy Birthday" with compliments.It was far to nice to do it justice in mere words.I mention this not only to wet your lips but as an example of the service you can expect.
The Merrion is not just another 5star hotel with rooms and food of a quality to match it is somewhere special and what makes it so is its staff. They are without doubt the friendliest and most helpful of any other hotel we have stayed in and make you feel very special indeed.
"Mary Poppins" Has sprinkled some of her magic over this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend a little more on a superior room,it's worth it.
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for bestowing such high praise on my colleagues here at the Hotel.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about all aspects of your stay here at The Merrion. It is very satisfying for all the team here when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did particularly given it was on the occasion of your birthday.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is the fourth time I have stayed at The Merrion. I have tried other allegedly comparable hotels in Dublin but none matches The Merrion for its excellent facilities, total professionalism, fabulous staff and delicious food. You get what you pay for and it is worth every Euro.
I happened to mention that a good friend of mine who had stayed at the hotel in September, had fallen in love with the spiced grape chutney which was served with a cheese plate in the bar. As the chutney was not available to buy, member of staff went to the trouble to fill a pot for me to take home to her!
It's a very special place.

Room Tip: Rooms in the garden wing are spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear dinglewellannie,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for your very kind comments which my colleagues and I were delighted to read.

I am so pleased that we were able to facilitate your request to take away our chutney to give to your friend and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming both you and them back to stay with us again.

Thank you once again for the high praise; it genuinely does keep us motivated in striving to provide the highest levels of attention and care for all of our guests.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel cannot be faulted. The situation is perfect, the bedrooms spacious and comfortable, the food top quality . However what makes this hotel the best place to stay in Dublin is the staff---always helpful and friendly. We are looking forward to our fourth visit next month.

Room Tip: We have always had a standard garden view room which has been very comfortable.
Dear brightonlovestravel,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I am delighted you are recommending us to your friends and family and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Been to The Merrion Hotel? Share your experiences!