“Used to be much better” 2 of 5 stars

Clifden Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   32 Gardiner Place, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #87 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Dundalk, Ireland
“Used to be much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Not a happy stay with Clifden Guesthouse. Cold room. Radiator not working. Was following the instructions on how to turn it on, but gave up after several attempts. Dirty towel from previous guest left in the bedroom when I arrived. Breakfast menu should be updated in the room leaflet. It said beans on toast was offered, but was not offered when I asked for it at breakfast. Some more bread could be offered, currently just toast and croissants. Had a good stay in summer 2014 so it was a disappointment returning now in winter 2014.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
ClifdenGuestHouse, Receptionist at Clifden Guesthouse, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Astrid N,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all of our guests feedback as your perspective is essential in order for us to maintain and improve the service we provide.

I am sorry you had some issues with the heating in your room. I can assure you that the radiator was working and had been turned off by the previous guest. I regret that you did not inform reception of your trouble with turning it on, as we have a 24 hour reception team who would have been happy to assist you.

I believe there may have been a misunderstanding regarding your breakfast order. We do offer beans on toast so I apologize for this confusion and we will take all of your comments on board.

I am very sorry there was a towel in your room on arrival, I can assure you this is not the norm for Clifden House, as one can see from many other reviews, our rooms are cleaned to a very high standard. I regret not being told about this issue during your stay as it would have been investigated immediately.

Thank you again for choosing Clifden House. I hope should you return to Dublin again you contact us directly to discuss a reservation either with us or with one of our sister properties in the hopes we can restore your faith in our brand.

Sinead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Clifden Guesthouse was a good choice for my boyfriend and I on our trip to Dublin, as we wanted a hotel that was affordable, centrally located, and clean. The room was very well decorated and the bed was comfortable - much appreciated! The only downside was that the bathroom was tiny and the shower difficult to keep a consistent temperature. I feel it's not worth commenting on the room size because I've found European hotel rooms in general to be smaller than those in the US, and our room layout was actually very nice for the size. Breakfast in the morning was a bit expensive, but worth it as they had a hot breakfast as well as a buffet.

Room Tip: You'll be walking up lots of stairs if you're not on the ground floor, but rooms are cute an...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
ClifdenGuestHouse, Receptionist at Clifden Guesthouse, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Tara K,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all of your feedback as our guests perspective is invaluable to us in order for us to maintain and improve the service we provide.

I am delighted to read you liked the decor of your room and am sorry you had some issues with the bathroom, as we are currently in the process of refurbishment, we will take all of your comments into serious consideration.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast and surprised to see you found it expensive as we offer a full Irish hot breakfast or continental buffet for a very competitive €5 per person when booked in advance.

Unfortunately, yes we do not have an elevator because the guesthouse is a protected Georgian property, we are unable to change the structure of the building but should you return to us again in the future, please contact us directly to discuss a room on one of our lower floors.

Thank you again for choosing Clifden House and I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again in the future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Shabby in serious need of an update. bathroom cracked tiles and black grout . The housekeeping staff cleaned the room well.The bedroom was very cramped and a poor layout . The receptionist working on Saturday morning was rude and moody.

• Stayed November 2014
Dear Apennick,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all of our guests comments and feedback as your perspective is essential in order for us to improve the service we provide.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the bathroom but we are in the process of refurbishment so we will take all of your comments into serious consideration and hope that should you return to us again in the future, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I apologize if any of our staff seemed moody, I can assure you this kind of feedback is unusual for us here in Clifden House and this matter will be investigated.

Thank you again for choosing Clifden House and hope in the future you contact us to discuss any reservations either with us or in one of our sister properties.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

It was a last minute booking at this guesthouse. We were thankful that we managed to get the room for two nights. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean, spacious and had comfortable beds. It was a little noisy as the walls seem a bit thin. But location was quite central and there are many take-aways and cafes around the area.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
ClifdenGuestHouse, General Manager at Clifden Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Dear NellasG,

Thank you for your review of Clifden House.

I was delighted to read you liked the decor of your room as we are currently in the process of refurbishment so our guests feedback is invaluable to us.

I am sorry you had some issues with noise during your stay, should you return to us again in the future, please contact us directly to discuss a room at the rear of the property.

I was also very pleased to read that you liked your location as we do pride ourselves on being so central, close to so many popular attractions, shopping and nightlife.

Thank you again for choosing Clifden House and I hope to welcome you back to us again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

Booked a last min room & chose here as pictures of rooms looked nice & last min deal it was good value. Room (16) was right opposite reception & I knew this would cause disruption. Beds and decor of room was lovely although it smelt very musky like it hadn't been cleaned properly, shower room was disappointing as it was bit old & dirty unlike the modern bedroom so it wasn't a good contrast.
Was woken up during early hours people coming in, then woken up well before my alarm from the early birds talking at reception.
Breakfast was average, cooked option was ridiculous 1 egg & 1 bacon-very small.
Receptionist (man) when I checked in the evening was friendly, morning one (girl) came across unfriendly.
Nice little complimentary touches in room. So mixed opinion on the place but wouldn't completely rule it out to stay again though.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear HaleyJaneB,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review for Clifden House. We appreciate all of your comments and feedback as your perspective is vital in order for us to maintain and improve the service we provide for our guests.

I was very pleased you liked the decor of your room as we are currently in the process of refurbishment, so I will take your comments regarding the bathroom into serious consideration.

I was surprised to read you had some issues with our breakfast as we do offer a Continental or Full Irish Breakfast which includes sausages, bacon, eggs (cooked to your liking) white and black pudding, beans, tomato and toast. All of this for a very competitive €5 per person when booked in advance.

Thank you for choosing Clifden House and we hope we can welcome you back to us again in the future, and should you return, please contact us directly to reserve a room on one of our other floors.

Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

We spent 3 nights in a family room. The hotel is very noisy, not because of the street but because you can hear everything of the next room.... where there were 2 young people talking all the night. We tried to ask kindly a little of silence but the guests were very agressive. Finally we could not sleep at all the last night. And the hotel didn't make any refund or something else, and the manager never replied to our mail. This not professional at all regarding we staid 3 nights.
We do not recommend the hotel. A French family.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear Almaparis75,

Thank you for your review of Clifden House. All feedback from our guests is vital in order for us to maintain and improve the quality of our service.

I was disappointed to read you had some issues with noise during your stay. I am sorry you did not report this disturbance to us during the night as we have a 24 hour reception team and our night porter would have been happy to assist you where possible. Unfortunately, as no issue was raised at the time, he was unaware of any noise as you were staying on the third floor. I can assure you that we will take all of your comments on board in order to prevent anything like this happening again.

Thank you again for choosing Clifden House and should you return to Dublin again in the future, please contact us to discuss a reservation with us or in one of our sister properties.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

Wanted a proper hotel but booked out so chose this one. The room was perfect we had two double beds. But breakfast was very weird firstly the girls seemed clueless at what to do, after a short time thinking my child needs to eat i had to call the girl to order breakfast that was fine but then i saw that the receptionist was actually the cook!! Asked for a full irish which was nothing like it. Seems like a backpacker run hotel.. Odd. Will not return thank you very much.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Cillian3,

I was very pleased to read you liked your decor as we have recently under gone a full refurbishment of the property and we are delighted with the response so far from our guests.

I am sorry you had some issues with our breakfast service. It appears you may have stayed during some training days, and for this reason the receptionist/ manager on duty was assisting with the breakfast at the time. I was surprised you were not satisfied with our full Irish breakfast option as we offer sausages, bacon, white and black pudding, eggs (served to your liking) beans, toast and tomato. We offer a continental breakfast also and all for a very competitive €5 per person when booked in advance.

Thank you again for choosing Clifden House and I hope we can welcome you back to us again in the future, and should you return, please contact us directly to discuss your reservation.

Regards,

Been to Clifden Guesthouse? Share your experiences!