“Great night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Dublin IFSC

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Dublin IFSC to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Dublin IFSC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   International Financial Services Centre | Excise Walk, Dublin 1, Ireland   |
Ranked #42 of 178 hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Great night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location for the O2, the convention centre and the Bord Gais Theatre.
All easily accessible.
Luas stop only 5 minutes walk from hotel.
Rooms are a good size and well equipped with very comfy beds.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We decided to treat ourselves to an executive room at this four star hotel recently for a three night break with the understanding that excellent service, facilities and a spacious room were to be expected.

On arrival we were reluctantly given a balcony key by an apathetic staff member (you must also sign for it) who wanted to know if we wanted it because we were smokers (!)

The room was a disappointment, I have seen the superior room and the executive room we were in was not good enough to merit the increased rate. The balcony which was supposed to be a plus point, especially following the rudeness downstairs, would not open. The nespresso machine wasn't working.

The table in the room was a tiny coffee table that would barely fit a dinner plate let alone cater for two people having room service, one of us had a cheery meal next to the tv.

Breakfast had the usual cold buffet and a limited selection of self-service hot food. We waited for 10-15 minutes in a room that had only two other tables occupied before we got exasperated and approached one of the staff who had steadily ignored us. Ordered tea/coffee, received tea, waited another while for coffee having re-ordered it. Asked for vegetarian options (hot food for us that point was mushrooms and a tomato) and ordered scrambled egg. Rubbery is the word that best fits, of the microwaved kind.

Brought several issues to the attention of reception staff, were told that we would be moved to another room and our suitcases would be moved to another room when we were out. In the meantime a pleasant lady came to the room about the balcony -key given didn't work, she needed to get her master key. We would then be expected to let the reception know when we needed it locked/unlocked. She thankfully sorted the nespresso machine for us and was on the whole very helpful. A member of housekeeping managed to get a key sorted for us by the time we came back in the evening, as we mentioned we would be complaining about the balcony saga.

Just before we left, another member of staff came to the room and after letting us know that he had been trying to get hold of us told us that we wouldn't be moved to another room and that his manager said if we wanted extra room we could pay more and get one.

We fancied watching a film on our last night and rang down to see why pay per view wasn't on the tv. We were told unapologetically that the hotel does not have pay per view and then after we pointed out that this was a feature of the room described on their own website, received a less haughty reply of 'We could bring you a DVD player'.

On the up side the room was spotless, all credit to the housekeeping staff and the night room service had decent food and a friendly porter. Taxis and wake-up call for the airport were all timely. The leisure centre was well equipped, spa was completely booked out for four days in advance so would advise booking early if going. Location is very handy.

Overall though, it was average and I expected more from a four star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Dermot12, Manager at Clarion Hotel Dublin IFSC, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Cof Cof
I was really disapointed to read about the challenges that you had during your stay .
The excutive rooms are considerable larger that a superior Room and have a balcony .
We are obliged for safety reasons to lock these doors unless the Guest requests the key .
I do know there was some problem with the first key but that it was sorted out shortly afterwards

I am pleased that the Staff were able to explain to you how the coffee machine works.

I must apologize if you felt the Staff attiude was less than helpful when they explained about the charge for a suite ,it was certainly not their Intention to appear less than caring about your request.

I certainly think we can do a better job with Hot vegetarian choices for Breakfast and we will certainly action this point straight away
Thank you for the feedback and again my apologies

Kind Regards

Rolla, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I used a Choice Privileges points sale as an excuse to stay here for three nights. There was a minor glitch checking in but it was quickly resolved.

I reserved a suite because it was the same number of points as a regular room. I had a nice view overlooking the River Liffey. The bed was *very* comfortable. I could just about get the room warm enough by keeping the heat turned up all the way (but I tend to keep the temperature at about 74 F at home, so I think it would be fine for most people). There were about 7-8 usable cable stations. The bathroom was very clean with separate shower and tub.

I didn't make use of the health club/exercise room nor the restaurant during my stay. I did get a sandwich at the Bagel Bar Coffee House across the walk, which was very good. The front desk was helpful with several inquiries and always had a bowl of fresh apples available.

I didn't price any other hotels so I don't really know how this compares to other properties in Dublin, but it more than met my needs and expectations. It was also convenient to public transportation. I got a "3-Day Rambler" bus pass which I used to go door-to-door from the airport to the Clarion and back, plus various trips about town. The Clarion is not a very long walk from many of the tourist, shopping, and nightlife locations, but it's nice to have the bus as an option when it's 35 degrees and raining. There's also a Luas stop not very far away, though I never used it.

In addition to being very conveniently located to the O2, it's also fairly close to the Bord Gais Energy Theatre (where I saw Oliver!) during my stay) and the Abbey Theatre. I felt fairly safe walking back from the Abbey on Sunday evening.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Oboegal
Thanks for the review
I am glad that you enjoyed you trip to Dublin and you found that the Hotel is perfect if you ar visiting the Bord gais Energy theatre to see a show
We are also close to the O2 Concert venue as well as the Aviva stadium and Croke Park
Once again many thanks
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

when we arrived at Connolly station, a Luas tram can bring you to behind this hotel. However after a quick check in our room wasnt ready. that as no problem as it was just after 10am and we hadnt expected the room to be ready. we went to the city centre again a short walk or luas ride away and got a phone call from reception to say the room was ready. when we returned our case was already in the room with tea/coffee makers, petals on the bed and chocolates. we were also told that whenever we wanted free strawberries and cream just to ring. food in the bar that evening and a cocktail voucher was also an added treat. we have stayed here before and cannot fault this hotel, it prides itself on being so clean

Room Tip: a room overlooking the river is a must
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Phil_lou 12
Thank you so much for the Nice comments
I assume it was a special occasion and I am glad that it all went well
Thanks again
Dermot De Loughy
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great location.Stayed here while at the O2 which is only a short walk away, O'Connell street is only a short walk too. Hotel was clean, staff friendly and breakfast was really good and high quality. Didn't use pool, wasn't even told there was one in the hotel. I enjoyed the nespresso coffee machine in the room, great bonus. TV reception was not good, only a few channels worked.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the front would be the best for views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Moley1230
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay
We will certainly have a look at the Tv signal
Kind regards
Portadown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

While the room was lovely and the breakfast was good, the pool was absolutely freezing, the restaurant was closed! and the staff were only minimally helpful and friendly.
We emailed regarding the facilities we were prominsed on booking - ie. pool open until 10pm for our children...it closed at 7.30PM....restaurant for evening meal....closed on arrival.....but as yet no one has responded two weeks later!!
The location was good for the O2. It was about a 15mins walk into the centre of Dublin. However due to the lack of facilities and friendliness during our visit, we will go the the Jurys next door next time!!

Room Tip: Check the type of bed for your child. We were offered an upgrade which we did not take as one of ou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karen
I was really sorry to read your comments and that you were unhappy with your stay
It is true the restaurent was closed on the night of your visit but we did put an extensive alternative into the Bar area for that Night .
The Pool temperature is normally maintained at a very comfortable level and is tested every hour .
I can only apaolgize that thsi was not brought to our attention during your visit as would normally happen .
We have serched all our systems and cannot find any trace of the messages that you have left ,we would certainly have responded if we had seen them .
Please do contact me directly and I would be more than happy to discuss your stay in more details
Kind Regards
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Clarion was an excellent hotel during our one-week stay in Dublin. Still central enough to be within walking distance of all of the major attractions, yet far enough removed to be away from the noise. The staff was extremely helpful; my boyfriend's airline lost his luggage for two days, and the staff offered to wash his laundry for him in their personal washing machine since the laundry service was shut down due to New Year's. The room was clean and exceptional for the price that we paid, and the hotel is extremely convenient to several coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, and LUAS station. My only complaint is that the hotel bar isn't open for longer, but that's easily overlooked compared to the rest of our stay. Will definitely stay there on future trips to Dublin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
it is geat to see people going the extra mile for a guest and I am so proud to hear that the Team were able to help you in this way
Thanks again

Been to Clarion Hotel Dublin IFSC? Share your experiences!