“Nicely maintained and friendly older hotel in a convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harding Hotel

You added Harding Hotel to your Saves list
Harding Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Copper Alley Fishamble Street | Christchurch, Dublin 2, Ireland (Temple Bar)   |
Ranked #33 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
MARSHALLTOWN
“Nicely maintained and friendly older hotel in a convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Harding Hotel has hundreds of reviews, so I will be brief (this review will be buried in a few days).

When arriving at the DUB airport, take the #747 express bus just outside terminal 1 and get off at the Christchurch stop. The bus stop is right around the corner from the hotel (6 euro one way, 10 euro round trip).

The best value is the “Rambler” bus pass good on this and all other city buses for the number of days chosen, e.g. 15 euro for three calendar days, not necessarily in sequence. The pass can be purchased on the terminal 1 arrival level next to the official tourist information desk, where you can get a useful free city map (the hotel has a better free walking map of downtown).

Alternately, a Hop-on Hop-off bus pass for two days is 25 Euros (I think), available at the same airport location. This offers an open upper deck and commentary, but has a fixed route and thinner schedule.

The rooms at the Harding are attractive and comfortable. They have convenient empty refrigerators and electric kettles, good for snacks and tea. There is a Dunnes grocery store about 15 minutes away on Great George’s St.

I found a better room rate through a search engine than on the hotel web site, but the manager is helpful and conscientious about emails and you may be able to book directly via email and match the search engine price (just a hypothesis).

I had a single (-03), which was the smallest of the rooms, but still adequate for one person. Even numbered rooms face the street and have a view, odd numbered rooms face a narrow back alley and adjacent building. The latter may have a bit of noise from the hotel pub on week-ends, but I had no problem during my week-day stay (my initial room assignment was not ready for my early afternoon arrival, and my second room was just above the pub, so I asked for and got an upper floor room on the alley side). I spend so much time sightseeing that a view is not important to me.

Some reviewers have noted the heat in the rooms. I found that this came from the bathroom and was not a problem if I kept the bathroom door closed and the window open. I am not sure what the heat source was.

My room rate (about 49 euros per night single) did not include breakfast, and I did not eat at the hotel or use their pub so I cannot evaluate either.

The hotel is ideal for active walkers, since less than 20 minutes on foot will get you to most tourist sights, and your bus pass will get you to the remainder (use Christchurch Cathedral as your marker on the map).

All in all, the Harding is an excellent choice for your Dublin stay. I will happily stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear efsch,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of the Harding Hotel following your recent visit to Dublin.

We appreciate all feedback and I appreciate your very helpful tips and hints to future guests regarding transport links etc.

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed your time in the Harding Hotel and that it helped make your visit to Dublin a successful and memorable trip.

We would hope that we may be able to welcome you back once more to the Harding Hotel in the very near future and feel free to contact the hotel directly at info@hardinghotel.ie to organize any accommodation, and certainly I will do my best to match any online quotes, if not better them.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed on a tip from a friend that had been there. So glad we did. We did not want a chain place and found this to be very cozy and accommodating. The staff was friendly and helpful. The girl that checked us in sent us to a great Italian place for dinner (upon request) and we absolutely loved the experience there as well. The location is very central and makes walking extremely easy. Parking was a little hectic, but after dinner we were able to move to a free space right out front. GREAT experience all around and would stay there again. Will send any friends that are planning to be in Ireland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear JKRoss808,

Many thanks for posting a review of the Harding Hotel following your recent visit to Dublin city; we are very grateful for all feedback and extremely appreciative of your kind words.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time spent with the Harding and that it helped make your visit to Dublin a memorable trip.
The Harding Hotel's location is incredibly convenient enabling our guests to easily move around the city by foot or the nearby public transport systems so that sightseeing, shopping and socializing are all within a few minutes of the hotel, hassle free.
We also pride oursleves ourselves on our warm and friendly welcome and comfortable and clean rooms so I'm glad that you felt we achieved our targets when you stayed recently.

I am so pleased that you would recommend the Harding to others, as it was recommended to you, as this is the best advertising we could ever hope for, and we would be honored to have the privilege of accommodating you once again should you return to Dublin.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great location for visiting central Dublin. Friendly staff. Poor continental breakfast not included. The rooms are clean and nice. People is friendly and very kind if you need help. Patient with kids.
The Harding is a nice, little hotel, very conveniently located between the Temple Bar and Christ Church. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Dublin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear elascari,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Harding Hotel following your recent visit to Dublin.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time spent in the Harding Hotel and are so pleased that your trip to Dublin was so memorable and that the Harding Hotel could have played a part in that.

I am also very happy to hear that you found the hotel clean, the staff helpful and friendly, the hotel to be perfectly located and to be of great value for money - we are very grateful for your kind words - and best of all that you would return to the Harding when visiting Dublin again.

I hope that we can accommodate you in the very near future once more and feel free to contact the Harding Hotel directly to arrange our most competitive rates.

Regards,

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I'm more of a 5 star resort type of girl, but I stayed at the Harding hotel when some of my travel plans fell through in 2010. My experience in 2010 was so fantastic that I booked on my own accord to stay with them again in 2012. The staff are unbelievably helpful and friendly, and as a single female traveller they made me feel confident that I would be kept safe and looked after, the attached restaurant is superb, the meals filling and cheap, and the location of the hotel is unbeatable! Just beside Christchurch cathedral. The rooms themself weren't the best but I was comfortable enough for a couple of nights. On my first stay I had a room overlooking temple bar, and that room was better than the second I had which overlooked the cathedral. The rooms are or used to be smoking rooms so the second smelt of stale smoke. The decor was dated.

My overall experience at the Harding was great. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear inOrbit,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Harding Hotel following your most recent visit to Dublin and sharing your experience of your stay.

We are delighted that you have stayed with us again after visiting the Harding previously and I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be comfortable and accommodating.

I certainly hope that we can once again look after you whenever you return to Dublin and that we can continue to make your Dublin stays so memorable.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Check-in was a breeze. The rooms are a bit small and tub would have been nice but they are great value. The following, I mentioned that my room was too hot and I changed rooms. The second room was great and wonderful view of Chistchurch right outside my window. The location was perfect. Many attractions are well within walking distance. I also purchased the Hop on Hop off tour (the green bus) and two stops were right around the corner. The stop for the Airlink to the airport was a few steps away. Darkey Alley, the pub, is right next door and the Copper Alley bistro had great food.

Room Tip: Room 403 was the hot room. The staff said it's great during the winter but spring and summer it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear tonikalib,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Harding hotel and share your experience of your recent visit to Dublin.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you found the Harding Hotel to be of such good value, located very conveniently and to have high standards of customer care and quality throughout the building.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Harding Hotel once more and that you feel as satisfied with your stay yet again.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We loved staying at the Harding Hotel. The location was perfect--we could walk to many of the places we wanted to visit. It was lovely to be able to hear the bells of the Christ Church Cathedral clock peal right outside our window! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, giving us directions and helpful hints. They held our luggage for several hours after checkout so we could do some last minute sight-seeing. Darky Kelly's Pub was our favorite place for food, drink and music! We will definitely stay here again if/when we return to Dublin, and we will recommend it to our friends and family. Thank you, again, to the entire staff!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Meredy J,

It was indeed our pleasure to have accommodated you recently and I am delighted to read that you had such a pleasurable experience while staying in the Harding Hotel.

It is also especially nice to hear from someone who finds the bells from Christchurch Cathedral adds charm and character to this part of the Old City and makes our wonderfully convenient location even more special.

I was so pleased to read that you found the hotel's staff to be friendly and helpful and that you also managed to enjoy the weekend entertainment in the hotel's bar and we are very grateful and appreciative that you would recommend the Harding to others and I trust that we will be able to accommodate them to the standards and high quality levels of service and care that you enjoyed during your stay.

We hope to be able to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I chose this hotel based on location and other reviews and I wasn't disappointed. It it situated on a quiet street off the main pedestrian walkways, but is very close to a lot of restaurants and attractions for tourists, literally across the street from the Christ Church Cathedral! It is a good location for a tourist who wants to explore Dublin, and the staff (Jonathan!) went out of their way to help with suggestions and directions as needed. The room was clean and very quiet, and also includes free wifi (a bonus!). The pub attached to the hotel is also good, and you have the option to use the laundry facility in the hostel next to the hotel if needed. This worked out great for a mid-vacation wash so I didn't have to pack as many clothes. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Dublin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear kellibelli1126,

We are always grateful and appreciative of guests' feedback and thank you for your kind words.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time spent in the Harding Hotel so much and that it contributed to a memorable stay in Dublin.
I am very pleased that you felt that the Harding Hotel was excellent value for money spent and that you appreciated the hotel's marvelous location making it so easy to visit the majority of the city's attractions, restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk while still being on a quieter side street.

Speaking on behalf of the other staff as well as myself it was our pleasure to have accommodated you and I am honored that you feel the customer service you received was of the highest standard.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back once more to the Harding Hotel in the very near future and that you may be as impressed and satisfied on your next visit where we will do our utmost to make your stay even more memorable.

Manager

Been to Harding Hotel? Share your experiences!