“A week in Dublin using the Mont Clare as our base” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-4 Merrion Street Lower, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #45 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Billericay, United Kingdom
“A week in Dublin using the Mont Clare as our base”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed in the Mont Clare for 6 days in late April. We had fantastic weather which made the stay. However, the location of the hotel made it easy to walk to all the key sites and the Leap Card made it easy to use the Buses, Trains and Trams in Dublin. The room was comfortable with a large bed, powerful shower and clean bathroom. The breakfast was for me the best meal of the day with a full Irish coming hot from the kitchen. The staff were fantastic. We had great service from all departments, nothing was too much trouble for them.

If I have one negative it is that the fixture and fittings are in need of update and in some cases replacement. The aircon did not work properly and the soft furnishings have seen better days.

Having said that we would stay there again. The room rate with breakfast was good value and all the key things that make a stay enjoyable were provided. I would rate the hotel 8/10. If they update some of the equipment then it would be 10/10.

Enjoy your stay. We did!

Room Tip: The front rooms can be a bit noisy over the hotel entrance.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gary m, Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
I am always happy to hear from our guests about their experience of Mont Clare hotel Dublin, what was great about their stay as well as any comments to help us provide an even more memorable experience for our guests.
When I receive a review like yours, it is such a positive reinforcement of the combined efforts of our entire team who striveto provide maximum guest satisfaction.I will be sure to share your feedback with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mont Clare Hotel Dublin in the very near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel is perfectly located close to the centre of town without being on a busy street. The staff were very helpful in everything from helping us with information to providing change for the bus. The room itself was great. We stayed on the top floor and had a big comfy double bed with all the little extras you come to expect when travelling. Nothing was missing. A great hotel at a great price.

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone. We stayed in Dublin for one week and it was our first time in Europe. The hotel is centrally located, very safe and the staff was excellent. Ian was very helpful in the restaurant and lounge, Gary handled every day trip and made sure that we had everything we wanted and needed to make our time there fantastic and Danielle was very friendly and helpful at the front desk, arranging taxis for us and taking care of everything else that we needed. This was one of the best places I have stayed and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone visiting Dublin!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and sunnier
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gary m, Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014

Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The location is great for getting around - the hop-on hop-off bus stops just across the road. The breakfast was a bit overpriced for what you got but it was delicious. I would definitely stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed in the Mont Clare on the 24th April for one night. I arrived quite late and the girl at check in was very friendly and welcoming. I had some difficulty accessing the car park and I phoned her in reception twice and she explained it perfectly. The room was nice - two single beds. The bathroom was also very nice. Breakfast was fine - I opted for the continental breakfast buffet and the food was more than satisfactory.
I usually stay in the Davenport or Alexander which are both just across the street, however the staff in the Mont Clare have won me over and I will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Medway, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is a seriously good hotel, the staff are fantastic and couldn't do enough for you. Gary looked after us and Bernie was there to make our stay everything we wanted.

Rooms are great, beds very comfortable, would recommend to everyone.

I would just go room only because the breakfast is quite expensive but just around the corner is the Kilkenny Store with a fantastic breakfast for 7 euro.

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Rotorua, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Lovely old wood and charming hotel. Reception staff were exceptional, helpful and went out of their way to help us with phone calls and advice. We arrived at 6am and they allowed us to check in the, which was amazing as we had had no sleep on our overnight flight.
Hop on hop off bus stop just across the road. We walked to the main shops and bars within 10 minutes.
Clean and comfortable. Wi-fi free in room for One hour a day, but I made use of the fee computer in the foyer quite often, to store photos, print etc.

Operations Manager

Been to O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel? Share your experiences!