“Decent place! Extremely helpful staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Albany House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   84 Harcourt St, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #82 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Cleveland, Ohio
“Decent place! Extremely helpful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here two nights in a room facing the street. We could hear the loud young people walk by at night but that didn't interrupt our sleep. Our convertor for the electricity didn't work so the hotel staff let us borrow one. I got sick and the staff found us a doctor. They even sent our postcards for us even though we didn't have postage. The breakfast is a pretty nice spread in a nice room. The rooms are clean but pretty basic.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights. The hotel was in easy walking distance to all attractions. The rooms were large and clean with a great shower. Staff were friendly and helpful. You couldnt expect more for the price paid. Good value and would recommend if you want a good 3 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We had a nice room in the 4th floor. The breakfast was nice and we especially loved the fruit salad. A great place to stay in Dublin which is also quite close to the city center. We'd love to come back again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

For our last night in Ireland, we wanted to stay in one of the hotels in the many Georgian houses around St. Stephen's Green. The Albany House seemed to us like a very affordable option in this regard, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Our room was ready before the official check-in time--a nice change compared to our usual experience in the UK and Ireland. It was on the second floor facing the courtyard behind the hotel, super quiet, and very spacious, with very high ceilings and nice plaster ornaments. The bathroom was huge as well, with a sleek and functional design. Wifi was fast and easy to use.

Breakfast was a bit basic but with delicious poppyseed rolls. Maybe some boiled eggs and meats could have complemented the jam and cheese that was offered.

The hotel is nicely located for sightseeing and shopping purposes, with all the major destinations within walking distance. Aircoach offers a fast and frequent airport connection to and from the Lower Leeson Street stop (€8 one-way), which is also where you can catch or get off bus 145 to and from Heuston Station (does not run frequently on weekends though).

Room Tip: We would recommend asking for a room facing the courtyard behind the hotel and/or on a higher floor...
Tullamore, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Albany House on a week night in December. We had tickets to a show in the O2 and had planned to go out afterwards.

The location of the hotel was the main attraction as it is just on Harcourt Street, beside St. Stephen's Green. The interior of the hotel was beautiful. It was cosy, warm, inviting and the receptionist was lovely and chatty.

The room was spacious, warm, with a modern, big TV and a very spacious bathroom with a big bath, which is always a huge bonus for me as I always take a bath when staying in a hotel.

We were out for the night and returned to the hotel at approximately midnight, only to find the door closed. After 10 minutes of standing in the freezing cold and continuous ringing of the bell was the door open, to which a man simply stated "Room number?" and were granted entry when I replied. Not the best system to have if you plan on returning to the hotel after a night out. I felt like I was returning home after I missed my curfew.

The beds were comfy, however, as it was December, we could've perhaps done with an extra blanket as it was a little chilly in the middle of the night. Still, I had a much better night's sleep than in other places that I've stayed in.

The location of our room was unfortunate. We were under the room that was being used for breakfast and, as the floorboards was so thin, we could hear continuous footsteps above our heads in the morning from 6 a.m. Also, the Luas was outside our window, granted, it wasn't too loud and stops at approx midnight and begins at approx 6, so it wasn't too bad. So, I can't speak for other rooms at the hotel, perhaps we were just unlucky.

The breakfast was a huge disappointment. It was a continental breakfast that started at 7:00 a.m. and finished at 10:30 a.m. We arrived down at 9:30 a.m. only to find most of the pastries gone and with the fruit salad beginning to turn brown. We ended up with toast that tasted like cardboard and quite watered down tea. I ended up having oj and bread for breakfast. Not ideal.

In all, I liked the location and interior of the hotel. I do believe that we were just unfortunate with the room we were allocated but the breakfast was a huge disappointment but I would stay there again as I do think it was value for money.

Room Tip: Any rooms on a lower floor than ground level are bound to be noisy and try to avoid the rooms beside...
Highlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I booked Albany House for a short break, largely on the basis of favourable price. The hotel was much better than I had expected. It is a nice Georgian building in a good neighbourhood close to St. Stephen's Green and within easy walking distance of many of Dublin's best-known attractions.
My room was spacious and the shower room was sparklingly clean. There were coffee/tea making facilities and the large TV had a good selection of Irish and UK channels. The bed was comfortable and although my room overlooked the road with trams etc., I had no problems with noise.
My room would have benefitted from some redecoration; but this seemed to be imminent, judging by the painter at work next door! He, like all the hotel staff I encountered, was pleasant and cheerful.
The breakfast (un-cooked) was very good and I particularly enjoyed the local crusty brown bread. The fixed menu might be something of an issue for guests staying for longer periods.
Albany House would be my first choice if/when I return to Dublin.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We spent three nights in this hotel in December. The location is great - 5 minutes walk from one of the busiest shopping streets, walking distance from interesting monuments like Trinity College, Dublin Castle, St. Patrick Cathedral...
Room was spacious and nicely equipped. We asked for a quiet room and we got it, but I can imagine the rooms facing the main street can be a bit noisy (tram goes there and drunken people, too :) ) Everything was perfectly clean. Only the bed mattress was too soft for our backs, this was the only bad thing about our stay, but can be quite important one. And the inside temperature was not really high, as the heating was switched off - probably was too hot weather for Irish to start the heating :)
Breakfast was basic but good - musli, fruit, cheese... no bacon, no ham, no meat.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
The bus 16 from the airport has a stop about 300 meters from the hotel. Be careful when going to the airport, the journey takes about 1 hour (we went home on Monday morning), so leave enough time for the journey. Of course, you can choose taxi or airport bus, which are faster.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room prior to your arrival.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Albany House? Share your experiences!