“Grand old dame holding up well ” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #13 of 177 hotels in Dublin
London
“Grand old dame holding up well ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The Shelbourne is Dublin's grand old dame of the hotel world and hasn't lost any of her sheen.

Well situated, whether you are there for pleasure or business, sitting next to the shopping precinct and a short walk to the pubs in Temple Bar.

The common areas are richly furnished and there is a warm, home away from home, feel to the place. A lively bar downstairs is just what you want if you are here to enjoy yourself.

The rooms are good and comfortable, but not luxurious or anything special.

Is it still the best hotel in Central Dublin? Yes, quite likely.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. The proximity to the shops and other local amenities can be quite advantageous.

Thank you for rating the hotel so highly and for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

I wish you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.

Warmest Regards,

1,705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Received lovely surprise treat of a one night stay in this beautiful hotel. Room was extremely comfortable with everything one would expect in a hotel of this calibre. I absolutely adore the breakfast and we took our time enjoying same. I ordered the French toast and it was delicious. Nothing was any problem to the staff as I also ordered a latte to finish off my meal.

The hotel is beautifully decorated for Christmas. I arrived the night Gay Byrne was there to switch on their lights but unfortunately missed him by about an hour.

Will be back....soon, I hope!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your surprise visit to the hotel. It was unfortunate that you missed Gay Byrne to switch on the lights but don’t forget there is always next year.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip. I wish you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.

Warmest Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We took our annual trip to Dublin meeting our agent for dinner and opted for the Shelbourne using points, we had a very good check-in, received some complimentary bar vouchers (there's no concierge lounge) and also heard that breakfast was included and that was spectacular. The room which was an upgrade was fine, floor creaked but it's an old hotel with some inherent characters aspects I guess, bed was really comfortable though. We we're told to allow 15 minutes for the car valet return so we phoned down prior to check out and arrived at the front door 15 minutes later but then got to hang out for at least another 30 minutes, the lady at the front noticed our irritation and facilitated a refund for the €25 fee but the excessive wait really ruined the check out experience, also there was quite a smell in the car that was unexpected and quite unpleasant but we we're too much delayed to follow up on why that was present

Room Tip: Worth checking that the room allocated does not have too many floor creaks, rooms facing into the co...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed most of your stay. It was a pleasure to host you during your stay, but I was disappointed to note that we failed to meet your expectation with regards to the valet service.

Unfortunately, due to a new road layout set by the corporation unexpected delays have occurred. I am glad to note that my colleague was able to look after the car parking charge for you. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you more about the issue that occurred. Please contact me at your earliest convenience, me email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you. I wish you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.

Warm regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed in The Shelbourne on a busy Saturday night in November. On the whole this was a generally good experience. The positive points are the central location, fabulous attention to detail in the décor throughout the hotel and the individually wonderful staff. And therein lies the only problem – the apparent individualism of the staff. On three occasions we suffered at the lack of communication between the staff.

Firstly we were woken up at 8:47am by a member of the housekeeping staff trying to enter our room, this happened a further two times and we also had a call on the room phone with someone who said that they were expecting housekeeping staff to answer. So between 8:47 and about 10am (when we went for breakfast) we had three calls to the door and one further intrusion by phone. Don’t these people talk to each other?

Secondly when we arrived for breakfast we were informed that as it was a peak time we’d have to wait to be seated. We were shown to the lovely Lord Mayor’s room where we had a short wait until we were called to be seated in the breakfast area. We were shown to a table and an order for coffee & toast was taken. We went to the breakfast buffet and were shocked on our return to find that our table had been given to another couple by another waiter. Don’t these people talk to each other?

Finally after checking out, I gave the guy at the door my ticket to have my car collected. He informed me it would take about 25 minutes, I said ‘no problem, how will I know when it arrives?’ I found him to be very dismissive as he instructed me to go back into the hotel and said that I’d be located. Confused as to how this would work I asked again and was given the same dismissive answer. Well I waited & waited and after 35 mutes nobody had come for me and I asked a different guy about my car, he took my reg and said asked another unformed guy nearby to bring my car. After 50 minutes I went out again still no sign of my car. I happened to look around the adjoining street and saw my car. Don’t these people talk to each other?

Within a four hour period we were repeated left disappointed and frustrated by the apparent lack of communication between the staff of The Shelbourne. This might have been isolated – I have to believe that we were extremely luck to experience such incompetence.

Despite these tremendous inconveniences; the swimming pool, bedroom, breakfast, dinner, décor and individual staff are second to none. It has to be said this is an impressive hotel – almost perfect except for our souring experiences.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on your recent trip. I am deeply disappointed that this was your experience and I regret not having the opportunity to speak with you during your stay or on departure about it. I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced.

I would like to investigate the matters you have mentioned further and would encourage you to contact me at your earliest convenience. I would hope that we could discuss what you have mentioned above so that we can put preventative measures in place to ensure this does not re-occur.
Please email me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent breakaway. I look forward to hearing from you.

Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My three girlfriends and I (all busy working mums) travel to Dublin for a weekend every Nov/Dec, always choosing a 5* hotel for our one weekend of indulgence. We were eagerly looking forward to the staying at the Shelbourne but unfortunately it didn't quite match expectations. There are many wonderful things about the hotel. It is aesthetically stunning, with traditional decor and the welcome is flawless, from door to check in. Unfortunately, we hit our first glitch when we were shown to our rooms. We had specifically requested adjoining rooms, and were pleased to see our request had been accommodated - until we opened the curtains to a view of an office block only feet away, and as an extra bonus, if we looked down we had a view of the bins.
We asked to be moved, and after several calls, were accommodated in rooms on the sixth floor, over looking a fairly tatty courtyard, but at least these rooms were brighter.
We then headed down to the bar, keen to begin our break to find it was absolutely packed out. We ordered food at the bar, but by the time it was ready there were still no tables free, so the bar staff informed us they couldn't bring it to us. We then noticed SIX empty tables with reserved signs on them. We asked if we could reserve a table, only to be told that they didn't take reservations at that time of year (first weekend in Dec). When we pointed out that clearly wasn't the case as many tables were reserved, we were told that those were for the sales department's "special guests". We said we were hotel guests, but were told that didn't make a difference. Eventually, a surly member of staff (in fairness, the only one we encountered during our stay who was less than welcoming) allowed us to sit at a reserved table as long as we agreed to vacate it when we'd eaten our food. Not the best start. We asked if we could book a table for the next day and were told again, that they didn't reserve tables. Oh, the irony - as we were still surrounded by empty reserved tables. We went elsewhere for the rest of the evening and opted for dinner in another hotel instead. On returning, we decided to have a nightcap in one of the hotel bars, only to find them both absolutely packed out once again. Not even standing room. We enquired as to an alternative residents bar and were told that there wasn't one. And therein lies the problem with the hotel. We were informed that it was one of the busiest weekends of the year (switch on of Christmas lights, many private functions etc) and that's fair enough - but there should be provisions made for residents. Over the whole weekend, we were unable to enjoy a leisurely drink at the bar, dinner in a hotel restaurant, afternoon coffee in the lounge - all the things we look forward to on our Dublin weekend - because the hotel was simply too busy and they didn't offer an alternative residents' bar / lounge. We ended up doing nothing more than sleeping there, starting the day with the wonderful breakfast, then leaving the hotel, returning only to change, check if there were any free tables in the bars / restaurant (there never were) and then head back out. We ended up spending more time at the Westbury than at the Shelbourne. I worked in the international hotel industry (for Sheraton and Hilton in Europe and Asia) and I understand that at peak times service can slip - but our overall experience was so disappointing. In summary, I'd say that in quieter periods, the Shelbourne would be a magnificent destination (as long as you're not in the office block-view rooms), but for busy times, I'll be giving it a miss until they establish an executive lounge / residents bar to ensure that hotel guests have full facilities.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was pleased to read that at the start of your stay we had met your expectations but fell short just beyond this. I find this deeply regrettable, that I did not meet with you during your stay in order to rectify some of the issues you had experienced and win back your confidence.

Unfortunately, I cannot undo what is done but I can ensure that it is not replicated in the future. We have implemented a small lounge for residents over the busy periods so that one may enjoy a quiet area should they wish. Should you decide to return to the hotel, I would implore you to contact me in advance so that I can ensure you have a table reserved in the restaurant and that I may show you to the residents lounge on your arrival.

Should you wish to discuss your experience further please email me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I would like to personally thank the management and staff of the Shelbourne for an excellent stay at your hotel. From the moment my family stepped through the doors we seemed to be transported from modern day Ireland to the 1800's.
Along with our 11 year old and 15 year old boys we toured the exquisite establishment. Our family suite more than accommodated the four of us. The cookies, coffee and orange juice was an all day delight. The staff went out of their way to meet and exceed our every expectation. We look forward to our return to Ireland and without question the Shelbourne will be our hotel of choice!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you felt whisked away into another world. It was a pleasure to host you and your family for your stay in Dublin.

It is our primary goal to ensure that we meet and exceed your expectation. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Shelbourne Hotel. Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne hotel.

Kind regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I picked the Shelbourne Dublin for a recent trip to Ireland because of its location, its history and because it's a Marriott property. We were not disappointed.

The location is terrific. Everything you want to see and do in Dublin is within walking distance for the most part. We did take a taxi to the Guinness Storehouse but walked everywhere else. There are some great restaurants nearby, St. Stephens Green is a nice park right across the street, Gaston Street shopping is just a few blocks away and Trinity College, Parliament and the National Museum are just down the street.

The Shelbourne is also a building rich with history. But it has been updated nicely and is in great shape. It has a very elegant but comfortable feel to it.

The service of the staff really stood out. From the moment we checked in we were taken care of. The desk attendant gave us a friendly greeting and upgraded our room. After dropping off our bags I needed to take a shower (I had golfed earlier in the day). I did that and we headed out to grab some dinner. When we came back, not only had they given us turndown service on the bed but they had cleaned the bathroom and stocked us with new towels. That was a nice touch.

The concierges helped me find the rental car office to return the car we had and in helping us with reservations for dinner at a local restaurant (The Winding Stair...highly recommend it).

The restaurants at the hotel are great as well. We had drinks in the bar every night and ate dinner there once as well. In particular I want to point out one of the staff who helped us out. On our last night we walked in and found the place packed (it was Friday night). I did a quick circuit of the room and didn't find any open spots. My girlfriend and I started to discuss what our options were when Fergal Ohalleran approached us and asked if we needed help. He quickly found a spot for us at one of the long tables, put up a reserved sign, found us chairs and got us drinks and menus. He really did a nice job of recognizing we could use some assistance (before we even had a chance to ask for it) and got us set up. We really appreciated that.

One other major point to note. Friday afternoon we decided to try tea at Lord Mayor's Lounge. I was just in the mood for some tea and biscuits so was a bit shocked when I saw the menu for afternoon tea. It was 32 pounds and a set menu, though you could choose the tea you wanted. We decided to go for it anyway and boy am I glad we did! It was really excellent. We stayed there for about 2 hours. We each had 2 different pots of tea (I loved the Chocolate Orange Truffle the most). And the sandwiches and desserts were terrific, beautifully presented and delicious. I highly recommend taking an afternoon break for tea in Lord Mayor's Lounge.

The only slightly negative thing I would say is that I would have liked pancakes or French toast in the breakfast buffet. But the chocolate croissants were delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review of your stay. I am delighted to read that you were impressed by a number of aspects throughout your stay. Fergal will be thrilled that you have mentioned his attentive service and I will ensure that the management team also recognise his efforts.

I am glad you found the winding stair restaurant which is a personal favourite of mine. It was also a pleasure to read how you discovered the tradition of afternoon tea and in so doing have also discovered some new teas.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I very much look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

JD Flynn

Been to The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!