“Afternoon Tea!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Waterford, Ireland
“Afternoon Tea!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I recently had afternoon tea here and it wad five star. The service was excellent and the atmosphere is amazing. A beautiful room with lovely feautures. The chairs were comfortable and we didnt feel rushed at all. The pastries and scones were delicous. However, on a negative note, the sandwiches were not my cup of tea and i didnt think there was enough. The ham and mustard was very plain.
Other than that our sugar bowl was dirty and we had no cups. The waitress was very discreet in quickly giving us cups when she realised so that was a plus.
When we were finished, we were waiting fifteen minutes to recieve our bill and in the end we had to call a waiter over. He was pleasant but when paying with card he very boldly asked how we were going to tip.
Of course i was leaving a tip but i didnt want to be asked about it by our server!

All in all the experience was amazing except for a few little things. The staff are very polite and professional.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Turkish first
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here recently to celebrate a significant birthday of mine. It was a gift from my siblings. My sister liased with Ashley to ensure that we haD the best experience possible and we certainly did. Not only were we upgraded and given an early check-in but a bottle of wine and macaroons were delivered to our beautiful room to wish me a happy birthday !
It is a class place with amazing service. It fulfilled a dream I had for years of staying in the Shelbourne and it lived up to my expectations and more. Thanks to all , but especially who is a consumate professional. We will be back for sure!

Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just returned from what started as a four day visit that had to be extended to a nine day one due to a health emergency. The hotel were extremely efficient and very caring during what was a difficult time.
It is a hotel we have always wanted to stay at and it did not disappoint. The location is ideal for sight seeing and shopping. St.Stephen's green is across the road and offers good jogging paths for those who like to keep fit amid pleasant surroundings.
If you want good service and helpful staff this is where you'll find it.

Manassas, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We recently returned from a 6 night stay at this historic downtown Dublin hotel. We booked our very first trip to Ireland through United vacations and I chose the Shelbourne for two reasons - I am a Marriott Platinum member and the excellent reviews. Prior to our visit I emailed the concierge and filled out some check in paperwork and asked that my Marriott number be added to the folio so I could receive some benefits from any funds I spent at the hotel outside of the rooms (rooms booked through 3rd party agents are not eligible for rewards).

We arrived after our overnight flight to the hotel at 10 AM. As described by other reviews, the property is beautifully restored and smartly decorated. The lobby areas are very small and provide for some occasional bottlenecks.

Check in was what I would describe as chaotic.There was really no queue type of arrangement and people checking in or out were trying to be assisted by the 3 guest associates. There were no rooms available when we arrived which was understandable. We were told to "check back in two to three hours" and they would see if something had opened up. As we were exhausted from the flight, we plopped down in the few chairs available in the reception area and waited. At 12:10 I got back into the make ship line and someone asked how they could help me. I told them I was checking if my room was ready and he told me to wait and he would personally check to see if it was The first sign of the service I had heard so much about. In a couple of minutes I had our room key and we headed up to our beautifully appointed room on the third floor in what I was guess was the second worst location in the entire building. (the first being one floor below us). Our room looked directly into an office building. (I could wave to the people during the week) and was directly above the trash/recycling cans which we could hear them fill and empty late in the evening and early in the morning. Except for the location, the room was top notch, much bigger then our room in London last year, and spotless.

A few words about dining. Our package plan included breakfast which was a buffet with some made to order items - I believe the menu price was 28 euros, not a value if we had to pay out of pocket.

We also had afternoon tea one day which regardless of the price was an experience not to be missed. The tea was excellent, the food ample, and the service first rate. No live piano music though.

Wife and I visited the attached health club on two days to use the equipment. Everything was clean and spotless and the areas, although a little small, were more than adequate for the amount of people in there.

A few additional comments on the service:

- Turn down with a chocolate and water on the first night then nothing after that. Quite odd.
- Everyone highly professional and friendly (as was all of Ireland). They seem to genuinely be concerned that you were enjoying your stay and were glad to have you as their guests. I don't think you could ask for much more.
- Check out was much smoother, although it was only 7:20. We were asked how we enjoyed our stay, and was checked out in just 2 minutes.
- Concierge was hit and mis. Asked to have some things booked and one was left off. Nice getting a confirmation in your room by letter. Taxi to the airport that was requested with the concierge the night before also got missed.

On a future trip I would consider staying here again, but I would have to have some input into the room, or I would make a different choice of a hotel. It really wasn't pleasant to keep your curtains drawn all day so the office building couldn't see in. Also since there was no recognition of any Marriott status, I would entertain trying a different venue next time, although I can't imagine anything topping the Shelbourne service.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room, but location, location, location is the most important thing at this hotel.
Ljunghusen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, excellent rooms, if you are not unlucky... Which I was. I got a room where there was a problem with the drainage in the shower (only shower and no bath tub). I told at the reception and they said it would be fixed. When back the evening after work I checked, but to my big disapointment it was stilla problem, meaning that after 45s the whole floor in the bath room was flooded and the water was going into the hallway of the room. To my bad luck I could not get another room! I had to stay one more night without being able to have a proper shower! Only after 2 nights I was moved to another room, as they realised I was staying 2 more nights..... But The new room was very nice, comfortable and pleny of space. The breakfast was great and I didn't miss anything. Cooked to rder for some things, fresh fruit and lots of other things. Would recommend it, but make sure you get a room with a working drainage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paragould, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

our experience at the Shelbourne Hotel was grand! we stayed one night at the beginning of our Ireland trip and ended the trip there also. both nights were very pleasing. the second visit there we were upgraded to a suite which was wonderful. breakfast was very good and staff were so friendly and helpful. since i had an early flight out, they made me a breakfast box to go! nice being close to so many sights and the hop on hop off bus is great for sightseeing. hope to return for another visit someday

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went to Dublin for 3 days for a bit of a pub crawl and a laugh,well what can i say,firstly the Shelbourne was perfect,some of the customers are a little stuck up but we ignored that,the staff were lovely the room was lovely and as we had paid for Breakfast,that was the icing on the cake,set in a perfect location for what ever you choose in Dublin

Room Tip: we went for room service for the brekky @ 5euros but well worth it as there was a waiting time in th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!