“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 171 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Myself and my sister stayed here for one night over the October Bank Holiday weekend. We had got a very good last minute rate for twin room - B&B. When we arrived to the hotel, it was about 11.30 in the morning, we knew that our room may not be ready as check in time was later in the afternoon. A very pleasant receptionst was dealing with us and she was able to check us in and assign us to our bedroom. Our room had 2 queed beds( a bit too soft for me personally), and it was a very good sized bedroom. The bathroom was also of good size and the hotel supplys lovely Elemis toiletries. We ate breakfast in the Saddle Room - it is a buffet, very good selection on offer. We also previously had eaten lunch some time ago while in Dublin and it was very good. The night we stayed we had a couple of drinks in the bar - it was very busy and had a great atmosphere.

The Shelbourne Hotel is truly a Renaissance Hotel. It is in a great location. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I am very pleased to hear of your very enjoyable experience that you and your sister had. I am also glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your room from early on and that you liked the Elemis range of toiletries that we now have on offer. The Elemis products are available for purchase at the reception desk or at the spa re reception which can make excellent gifts.
Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel, A Renaissance Hotel. We look forward to your return, please contact me should you need any assistance on your next stay.

Morpeth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I tend not to write hotel reviews - we normally stay in Four Seasons properties if there is no "special" hotel to stay in..however on this trip we succumbed to the central location of this hotel and so we had a couple of nights there.

I will not aim to identify every single fault with this hotel - many of which were service related (there were too many) - but suffice to say the staff at this hotel are not familiar with the expected standard of a five star hotel.........everything from the doormen not taking your bags from the car......bags being left behind the reception desk with no offer to take to the room!, receptionists who are too busy with whatever else they were doing to serve you, the Concierge who sits on his little throne behind his little tiny desk defying you to have the audacity to ask him anything, the concierge staff who clearly can't understand the expectations of guests and their dining standards.......the surly and inefficient bar staff, restaurant staff....the list goes on.....I cannot remember when I have encountered such poor service - or so widely across an entire hotel.

We did not receive turndown for some reason on the first night - and the second night when I asked for it - it comprised hanging back up our used towels back on the rack??????

The rooms are small (we stayed in one of the "Heritage" rooms - and I assume that the "Heritage" bit refers to the fact that everything in the room is well past its sell by date). Rooms were a bit tired round the edges shall we say (being kind).........carpets in the hallways and public spaces are truly filthy.....all towels, bathmats etc are very small and almost threadbare..all bathroom and bedroom fixtures and soft furnishings need replacement....

...but the biggest issue ?........and be aware of this....is that on a Thursday AND Friday evening (and I assume its the same on Saturdays) we had to literally fight our way OUT of the reception area to the front of the hotel.....though packs of Guinness wielding locals......and then after dinner to fight our way back in again (my wife picking up a nice series of Guinness stains on her dress in the process!)...I have NEVER seen anything like this!!....it like a really busy nightclub has been deposited in the foyer/reception area of the hotel.....incredible......now I like a bit of 'atmosphere" and a nice busy bar area is always a good sign......but this is simply ridiculous...

Sorry I will not visit this hotel again....The Four Seasons is infinitely better...and if you need the central location I'd recommend the Merrion....a hotel that DOES know how to look after its guests.

12 Thank DarrenKell
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Like so much of Dublin, the Shelbourne is nowhere near as good as it thinks it it is. Having supped Guinness from its excellent bar, I decided to have an overnight stay as a treat. What a disappointment. While the staff and service befit a five star establishment, the rooms, alas, are more in keeping with a three star establishment. Small, with ageing and not particularly nice mahogony furniture, there is a shabby feel beyond the glossy frontage of the hotel. A light inside our wardrobe would not go out in the night, disturbing our rest. The shower was little more than a trickle and the tiling was badly in need of a grout. There was a chunk of freshly congealed gum stuck to the carpet just inside the door. And the bar? It seems virtually every office party in the city was crammed in there. It was horrendous, and there was seemingly nowhere for residents to chill out. Thoroughly underwhelming.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westbery instead, which is across the street and has rooms about 3 times the size and 5...
1 Thank James1878
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne hotel on your recent visit to Dublin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your pint of Guinness from our bar. I am surprised and sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations when it came to the room size. I have informed our engineering team of the issues you had with your room and they will indeed rectify these as soon as possible.
While the bar can be a very popular choice for people living and working in Dublin we have always space for residents of the hotel. Our Lord Mayors Lounge after 7pm becomes resident only. We also have other seating areas for especially designated for guests who wish to relax and step away from the hustle and bustle, as we understand that the hotel can become quite busy over the Christmas period.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be delighted to assist.

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were booked to stay on a very busy weekend in Dublin. The reviews were amazing, the welcome surpassed the anticipation. We were made to feel like VIP's from the liveried doorman greeting, for the rest of the weekend- regardless of the fact that there was a full house both nights! We visited due to our wedding anniversary, and received numerous special treats from the hospitality and housekeeping team, including a specially handwritten congratulations card, and beautiful fresh rosé petal turndown service. A very busy itinery prevented us from indulging in the spa, museum, and afternoon tea, that we had so hoped to partake of, but will no doubt make a point of insisting upon on our next visit. Bar 27!!! Well, just about the last word in sophistication. A wonderful place, immaculate service and ideal opportunity for people watching ( mind you, the celebs all go into the horseshoe bar..). Delicious food, cocktails and champagne- one couldn't wish for any more!!

Sunday brunch is a whole other kettle of fish.... This is big time!! Exquisite food- amazing live jazz, flowing champagne and oysters and ice sculptures make this a roaring twenties, Art Deco, opulent experience not to be missed. Love love love this hotel- the sat word in sophistication- cant wait to return for our anniversary next year!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Sarahsarahsarahsarah
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. It was our pleasure to look after you and your partner for this special occasion. We love to add little touches to our guests stays. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to indulge in our new spa or our famous traditional afternoon tea. Perhaps, this shall be your excuse to return.

Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel and we hope to see you in the not too distant future. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance on your future visit so that I may ensure you enjoy another memorable luxury experience.

N. Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have stayed at many hotels across the world and have never been moved enough to write a review on Trip Advisor. After having spent one night at the Shelbourne, I felt compelled to write my first review. To celebrate a special occasion, we decided to spend a night at the Shelbourne and it was truly a 5 star experience. We were informed that we had been upgraded to a Heritage Park View room and the room was fantastic.

Later in the evening, we spent a few hours in No.27 watching the Christmas shoppers while enjoying the seafood platter. This morning, we treated ourselves to a full Irish breakfast in our room overlooking St.Stephen's Green. Breakfast was fab and loved the fresh flower touch!

All in all, it was the best hotel experience that we have ever had and we did not want to leave! The staff were friendly, extremely accommodating and welcoming and particular thanks must go to Ashley Keegan who was exceptional in all communications prior to the trip. We have decided that this will be the first trip of many to the Shelbourne and we can't wait to return!

2 Thank normskin
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I am also pleased hear that you got to enjoy all that the Bar No.27 had to offer.
I will pass along your kind comments along to Ashley, who will be delighted to hear that you very much appreciated her service. Thank you for making this the first trip of many. Please contact me when you decide to return to “The Grand Old Dame”, I would be glad to assist in any way possible.

dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

i went to the shelbourne on the 8th of dec , Myself and my work collegues were really looking foreward to it. To cut a long story short the whole evening was such a disaster. We were literally crammed into a ballroom with many other ompanies the entertainment was a joke the food was something they served in schools years ago utterly disgusting, service was the worst i have ever experienced. Toilets were absolutely filthy.A few of my colleques were staying overnight and oh boy did they regret it some
had to sleep on camp beds. For 100 euros a night this was absolutely digraceful. I would advise people not ot be fooled by this hotels 5 star rateing because it definitely is not.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank gerrodublin
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Spent the weekend in The Shelbourne and we were made very welcome from the moment we arrived. The staff never pass you without a friendly greeting. The breakfast is fabulous with all kinds of possibilities on the menu. The old fashioned grandeur of the rooms, table linen and fine crockery is a welcome treat in this age of modern minimalism. The Spa is beautiful and the pool is substantial, so make sure you allow some time for a little indulgence. We had a wonderful evening meal in The Saddle Restaurant and they made a lovely little fuss over my husband who was celebrating his birthday. This is not an inexpensive place to stay but after all it is The Shelbourne, so blow the budget and have a treat. We felt like mini-celebs for the weekend and came away very chilled and already planning a return visit.

Room Tip: Our room was not cleaned until about 4.30pm on the Saturday but after speaking to reception about th...
    • 5 of 5 stars
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that you felt as though you were celebrities for your stay. It sounded like you got to enjoy many parts of what The Shelbourne Hotel had to offer, from the Spa & Health Club to The Saddle Room restaurant. I am also delighted to hear that you are planning your return visit already. Please let me know if I can assist in anyway.

Looking forward to your return,

Kindest regards,