“Perfect Wedding !!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Dublin
“Perfect Wedding !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had the pleasure of hosting our wedding reception in the Shelbourne Hotel in October and it was quite simply amazing.
Our first meeting with Sarah Edmonds, the wedding executive was the start of a fantastic and superbly professional experience and I would go so far as to say, it is because of Sarah that we decided to go with the Shelbourne rather than one of its competitors.
During our meetings with Sarah before the big day every detail was planned and organised for us. The menu tasting was a fantastic experience, the staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble.
On the day itself we arrived at the hotel and were greeted by all the staff at the front door who applauded the wedding party as we arrived.
We were then brought to our amazing suite looking over the green and presented with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. Sarah coordinated with our families and the photographer and ensured we were stress free.
We were also offered any of the many vast meeting room / stair cases etc to take photos indoors which we took advantage of and were told that the hotel was ours for the day to do with as we desired.
During the evening we had the pleasure of meeting more staff. The banqueting manager on duty was superb, the food was exquisite (still been spoken about) and each individual member of staff was courteous, engaging and professional.
The reception itself was seamless. Sarah had also coordinated with the band to ensure the transition from dinner to music was smooth.
The bar staff on the night were also fantastic. Funny and engaging guys who knew how to work a busy bar.
We stayed 2 nights and were phoned the following morning to enquire when we would like our champagne breakfast and if we would like it to the room.
I’m in the process of writing a letter to the hotel and will give the dates involved so as they will know who was on duty but we simply could not fault the service. From the days paper wrapped as a memento to fresh flowers being delivered to our parents rooms along with a framed photograph of us and a lovely hand written card arriving in the room the experience was unforgettable
Even our Marriott reward card was set up for us so we could use our points on our honeymoon.
To conclude – The Management and Staff of the Shelbourne are the best around and they made our wedding the special occasion we hoped for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guests,

Firstly,I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your wedding. Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel as the venue for that long lasting memory of your wedding day. We are honoured to have been a part of your special day.

Thank you for all your kind words about the team, the food and especially of Sarah. We were glad to give you the hotel for the day. We do this because the day is about you and nothing else. It sounds as though all your guests enjoyed themselves and that all will remember this day for a long time.

We hope that you had a wonderful time on your honeymoon and we look forward to you both returning to us on your 1st wedding anniversary. We wish you many years of happiness together.

Thank you very much for all your kind words and for sharing your day with us.

Warmest regards,

1,707 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having now stayed in all Dublin's 5 star hotels The Shelbourne is definitely the best.5star is about service and getting the finer details right - here this is done to perfection.From the warm greeting at reception with the offer of coffee and cookies to the very welcome hot whiskies handed to us on coming back from an afternoon of shopping.You get the impression that the staff are there to help - there was a slight problem with our hotel safe, I reported to reception and within 5 mins a very pleasant gentleman had it fixed.
Location is fantastic being only 3 mins walk from the shopping heart of Dublin - we enjoyed it so much that we've already planned our return trip

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I was delighted to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay and that the finer parts of our service impressed you.

We love to surprise and delight our guests with little things over their stay and the hot whiskeys can be a welcomed surprise after a hard days shopping.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future. If I can be of any assistance to you for a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me in advance. It will be my pleasure to look after you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Even if you don't stay here, consider making a reservation for afternoon tea. It is so elegant and lots of fun! Delicious tea, sandwiches, scones, and desserts - accompanied with a lovely setting and piano. I took my mom there and she loved it!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting The Shelbourne Hotel and the Lord Mayors Lounge for your Afternoon tea. I am delighted to hear that you and your mother both enjoyed your experience with us. We are very proud of our Afternoon Tea tradition and that you appreciated the selections of teas, scones, sandwiches and desserts.

The Afternoon Tea is a great experience for any celebration, be it anniversaries, birthdays or just a get-together with friends.

Thank you again for your kind comments. If I can be of any further assistance to you or your family should wish to visit again.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

A beautiful, grand hotel with amazing attention to detail. Wonderful service. We stayed in a large suite that was just so beautiful. The bed was comfy, the furniture lovely and the large bathroom with both tub and shower was a real winner. Located in the heart of Dublin, you're walking distance to Grafton St complete with many pubs and restaurants but the Saddle Bar at the hotel was very very cool, especially for a hotel bar. A must stay while in Dublin.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Shelbourne Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Dublin. I was delighted to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay us. It was our pleasure to provide these services to you and I hope that you return in the not too distant future.

Should you or your family decide to return to The Shelbourne Hotel, please contact me as I would be delighted to assist.

Church Stretton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed in The Shelbourne at the beginning of November. Its a lovely hotel, very bustling to the point of not being able to find a seat in a public room at 6pm on a Saturday night! Lovely room, very comfortable bed. We had some issues during our stay, which didnt exactly spoil the visit, but which we could have done without. However we raised them with Customer Service Exective 'JD' (the name he gave us not me trying to anonimise him) and we got an excellant response. We had a fabulous meal in The Saddle Room restaurant. We tried the Autumn Tasting Menu with accompanying wines. Our waiter/sommelier Francois was excellant and made the whole meal more enjoyable by his great choices of wine. Some of the tables were too close together for my taste but we were given another one which I indicated I would prefer. We will definately return to what I think is Dublin's premier hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Executive at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Ireland. It was a pleasure to speak with you over your stay and thank you once again for your feedback that you provided.

I am glad that you enjoyed the evening in The Saddle room restaurant and that Francois was able to make this experience memorable for you. The tasting menu is a great way to experience all that The Saddle Room offers and the wine tasting accompaniment further enhances this even more.

I am extremely flattered that you found my service helpful, it was my pleasure. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. Please contact me should you need any assistance with future reservations, I would be delighted to assist.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights using Marriott points due to late minute bookings. While late minute booking in off season Southern France and Sardinia, our Dublin weekend stay didn't We couldn't find decent accommodations for under 150 - 200 Euros.

So I used my points and loved, loved, loved the Shelbourne. The check-in was quick, staff profession and friendly. Our room (top floor, #882) was nicely appointed, great temperature, comfy bed with great sheets and bedding, and a view over the office building behind the hotel. This was really nice given the sunny weather. The bathroom was spacious (2 sinks), nice tub and shower and had nice marbel. Towels were showing their age, but were plentiful and included wash clothes, a novel concept in many euro hotels/lodging.

The lobby had a good buzz and the bars looked like fun. The hotel fits prominently into Irish history which was fascinating to read and also see the famous people who have stayed at the hotel. Its location is good with easy access to many tourist spots -Grafton Street, museums, St. Stephan's Green, Trinity College, etc. It also is close to the hop-on/off buses and many restaurants.

We tend to go out for drinks and meals, so didn't use the hotel dining facilties, but menus looked lovely but expensive. The hotel also has a new spa and pool, but we again, didn't use.

Getting to the hotel is simple, with Airbus probably the most direct route for 10 euro each way or else you can take the 747 bus for 6 euro but it lets you off a few blocks from the hotel. Taxis are expensive

I would definitely recommend this hotel based on comfort, decor, location and staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the 8th floor
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this wonderful review of your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent visit to Dublin.

We loved, loved…loved having you and are glad that you got to discover many of the things that The Shelbourne Hotel has to offer. The hotel is steeped in Irish history from our famous previous guests to famous events that took place, the drawing up of the Irish Constitution, to name but one.

On your next visit you will have to enjoy all The Spa and The Health Club have to offer, as well as our restaurants and bars

Thank you again for posting this wonderful review and please contact me should you decide to return to The Shelbourne Hotel on your next trip to Dublin. We are delighted to have you as a loyal Marriott member and I would be delighted to assist you in your future reservations.

Wayland, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

She's a grand old hotel in a fantastic location. But, the bed in my first room was so bad that I had to switch and the second bed was not much better. They were also charging 19 Euros a day for internet service per computer. Simply not acceptable in this day and age.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your trip to Dublin. I am surprised to hear that you did not fully enjoy your experience with us. We strive to create an experience of memorable luxury and above all else a comfortable night’s sleep. I will pass these comments to our Housekeeping director so that he may investigate. I would be delighted to hear more about your stay and understand more about the issues you experienced.

I am glad to inform you that we have changed our internet service provider and now offer complimentary WIFI to all our guests throughout the hotel.

Please contact me should you wish to discuss your stay further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Been to The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!