“Shelbourne, Dublin” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Oneida, Wisconsin
“Shelbourne, Dublin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bed room and enjoyed the fine amenities of this grand hotel. The Concierge was extremely helpful with our numerous questions. Across the street from St. Stephen's Green, just blocks away from Grafton Street and Trinity College, the location was wonderful. We literally walked out the hotel and climbed on the hop-on, hop-off bus which whisked us to all of the sights we wanted to see.The only negative point was that we were charged for wi-fi service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always nice to read such complimentary and postive feedback and I will ensure that your kind comments regarding the concierge in particular are passed on. As mentioned previously we are currently working on changing our internet supplier and indeed hope to be able to offer very soon complimentary internet access for all of our hotel guests. If you plan at any point to return to Dublin please contact me directly. I would be delighted to personally assist.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a truly lovely hotel in a fantastic location in the heart of Dublin, we stayed there in February 2010 for 3 nights. Stayed in a King-sized room, with views of the Wicklow (?) mountains. The room was spacious, good bathroom if a little dark. Breakfast was terrific but pricey if not included in the hotel rate. The horseshoe bar is worth a visit for a drink. The only reason I would not give 5 stars for this hotel is I feel it was let down a little by the staff who are impersonal and aloof

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following on from your stay with us. Thanks for your kind comments regarding the hotel bedrooms and public areas. I am delighted that you had such a nice time with us. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the future I would be more than happy to be your point of contact at the hotel, so please feel free to contact me directly.

Guest Relations
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have stayed at The Shelbourne two different times, once before the renovation and the second time was two years ago. The hotel sits across from St. Stephens Green and during the 1916 Rebellion a person could sit in the hotel and have tea while watching troops in the Green. This is a beautiful hotel although a little pricey for a long stay. I only wish Marriott Rewards would allow members to use points for a stay.

Room Tip: Heritage rooms have the best views and access to the Heritage Club.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following on from your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a nice time with us. Thank you also for taking the time to appreciate our history. We are one of the oldest hotels in the country and our recently opened musuem allows all of our guests to view first hand many interesting and unique artefacts. As part of the Marriott hotel group, you can as Marriott rewwards customer use points to stay at The Shelbourne. Please contact the Marriott Rewards help desk in order to make a booking. If at any point you are planning to travel to Dublin and there is anyway that I can assist please contact me directly.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just returned from 4 days in Dublin and had a fantastic time. The Shelbourne is in a great location close to all the sights which are easy to walk to. The hotel itself is beautiful, grand and historic. We were on a breakfast package and it proved to be a great choice with both buffet and a la carte options included. We had afternoon tea in the beautiful lounge and I have to say I have sampled many afternoon teas in many 5 star hotels and this was one of the best. Lunch in the bar was also very good and cocktails in the evening-superb. The room was quiet and spacious with a beautiful marble bathroom and quality bath products. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. When I return to Dublin this will be my hotel of choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following on from your recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear such positive feedback. I will ensure your comments regarding the service overall and in particular our afternoon tea are passed on. If you plan to return to Dublin at any stage please do not hestiate in contacting me directly. I will be more than happy to personally assist.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We ended our 3 week vacation at the Shelbourne and had a wonderful experience. The only complaint was that they charge for Wi-Fi for each device. So if you have 2 iPhones, an iPad and 2 laptops, you're looking at 100 Euros a day! This seems a bit antiquated in this day and time. Because my husband needs Wi-Fi to keep up with work, this really impacts where we will stay when we travel. Apparently, their contract is changing this month, so hopefully the next time we return it won't be an issue. Otherwise, everyone was very helpful, the service was great and the room and bathroom were heavenly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that overall you had a good time with us and you found both the hotel bedrooms and the service very good. You are correct with regard to the internet charges - these are currently being reviewed at the moment. If you plan to return to Dublin, either for business or leisure please do not hestaite in contacting me directly. I will be more than happy to personally look after you.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I got married in May 2012 and had our wedding reception at the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin. Myself and family also stayed in the hotel in the lead-up to the wedding as well as afterwards. I can't begin to vocalise what a truly magical experience it was. Sarah Edmonds our wedding planner is not only pleasant, highly efficient and a consummate professional, she gave a very personal and bespoke service and ensured our special day was unanimously claimed by all our guests to be the best wedding they ever had the pleasure of attending. You're blessed to have someone so wonderful on your team! I shall certainly be recommending her and the Shelbourne Hotel to any friends and family who are planning a wedding.

The wedding day was the best day of our lives and this was in part attributed to the amazing staff at the Shelbourne Hotel. Regrettably it would not be practical to go and thank all members of staff personally but if I had time I would. The kitchen staff, the waiting staff, the people on reception, the room service and concierge staff, the bellboys, the valets - without exception everyone welcomed us warmly and were a pleasure to deal with. Not once did we enounter a member of staff who didn't seem to genuinely love their work and do all they could to help.

The food was AMAZING and we relished every delicious bite which was so lovingly prepared by your talented kitchen staff. Our wedding food was simply out of this world and as all our wedding guests without exception are bona fide "foodies", one can not begin to decribe how warmly it was received. I personally also found the breakfast in the Saddle Room to be almost a spiritual experience! What a wonderful selection of fresh produce to suit every palate. I also particularly enjoyed the champagne generously supplied on the morning after the wedding.

Our stay at the Shelbourne was simply marvellous. The hotel is differentiated through the little (and such thoughtful!) touches which made those days so memorable. The fact that Sarah Edmonds our wedding planner had graced our Suite with a framed photo of us as we arrived at the hotel was such a lovely surprise, likewise with all the innumerable other added touches which make the hotel and its staff so unique.

My gorgeous new husband and I look forward to coming back to stay again and if not before we definitely intend to come back next year and spend some time there on our first wedding anniversary in May 2013.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at the hotel from the very bottom of our hearts and to commend you on running a first-class hotel. I simply can't recommend the hotel enough and would urge anyone visiting Dublin to book in and indulge themselves, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always an honour to be chosen as a venue for such a special occassion as a wedding celebration and I am delighted that you had such a memorable and special day. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and in particular Sarah. I will ensure that these are passed on. It can be difficult to cater for everyone while preparing and cooking for a wedding reception and it is wonderful to hear that all of your guests without exception were very happy. We firmly believe here at The Shelbourne, that as well as the wonderful hotel that we have and the 5* service we provide it is the small, individual touches that make all the difference. It is great to hear that we delivered this for you. Once again please accept our congratulations and best wishes for a very happy and prosperous future and we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to us for your one year anniversary!

ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Myself and my sister went all out and booked a two night stay in this hotel, the service was amazing, the food and general ambiance was just fabulous and we really felt like we were being treated! Our room was lovely too, clean and the beds were really cosy. However as soon as we went to bed, come 0600 every morning these lorries would park up the left side of the hotel and start throwing drink barrells into their lorries and this would continue for about an hour! The next morning it was the laundry and it was just so loud we couldnt get any sleep in it was very disappointing, my sister was catching an international flight and was just shattered going to the airport.

Room Tip: When booking this room perhaps just ask about the left side of the hotel where the loading goes on !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you posting a review on your recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. I am concerned and disappointed to hear your comments regarding noise. This is not a regular occurrence at The Shelbourne and I have passed this on the relevant management to investigate. Please also pass on my apologies to your sister. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the ambience and the service here at the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed this aspect of your stay. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the future pelase contact me directly. I would be happy to personally ensure that you are looked after.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!