“Who could ask for anything more?” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #13 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Santa Clarita, California
“Who could ask for anything more?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Shelbourne for 3 nights this past April, thanks to a special rate I was able to obtain through a special travel agency program. Without the discount, I would not have been able to afford this hotel. Every employee at the Shelbourne is a professional and the service is excellent. Rooms are very well appointed, beds are comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. It's also seemed to be the sort of place to see and be seen. There was always a lot of activity going on at this hotel. A bit pricey, for sure, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you posting a review regarding your visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always great to hear such positive feedback. I'm delighted that you found our staff friendly and professional and that you found the bedrooms very comfortable. If you have the opportunity to visit Dublin at any point soon please do not hesitate in contacting me.

1,705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed here with some colleagues for 1 night in April. I was very pleastly surprised by the hotel, it's a really beautiful old building with lovely architectural features in pristine condition which gives the hotel an aura of absolute class.

The bar and restaurant areas are fabulous, but not intimidating or stuffy in any way - I put this down to really friendly staff.

My room was great. Ok, I was lucky, I got a free upgrade to a suite on check in.

I didn't find any real negatives about the hotel, if I was to pick spots, I'd say that some of the corridors are a little dated.

Oh... And it's an absolute maze, I guess that the hotel has grown over the years to take on new buildings resulting in it having a completely illogical layout.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am so glad that the hotel exceeded your expectations. A lot of attention and care was taken with the restoration of the public areas and bedrooms and where possible we tried to retain as much of the old fashioned charm and luxury of the original building. I'm also delighted that you enjoyed the service in our restaurant and bars. I will ensure your comments regarding the friendliness of the staff are communicated. Should you be returning to Dublin at any point in the near future please do not hesitate in contacting me. I will be more than happy to look after you personally.

Titusville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The people were great and the hotel beautiful, however, it started off with a very bad impression when the policy to charge a high amount for internet acccess was stated. We stayed in the most upscale properties in Ireland over a 2 week holiday and this was the only hotel that charged for internet access. If you like me have a need for internet this is not the hotel for you.
The room was also the smallest we experienced on the trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. We are currently reviewing our interent policy at the moment, so I'm sorry that your expectations were not met on this occassion. However I am glad that you found the building beautiful and our staff great. If you have occassion to return to Dublin at any point soon please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Raphael Bradou
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband and I had a gift voucher and we decided to treat ourselves on a rugby weekend when Ireland was playing Italy as we had VIP match tickets and what a way to live it up than stay amongst the team. The booking and reservation service was what I could only describe as appalling and shockingly impersonal, worst I've encountered ever!! I almost abandoned reserving on a number of occasions.

The problems started when I saw a Romantic weekend deal at 290 per person, (2 nights accomodation, champagne and strawberries and rose petals everywhere, the usual). All good. When I tried to book it on their awful Marriott reservation website, a horrendously techy site where if you go back and forth, it wipes all info you've put in, it wouldn't let me change the room occupancy to greater than one person. Eventually after an hour or so of backward and forwards online to try and change the occupancy to two, I rang the customer service line where an extremely unhelpful individual firstly told me "My computer must be broken" and then decided, ah the 290 is the single occupancy price for the romantic weekend (!!???) and the actual price per person if there was two was 320 per person.

At this stage , there was smoke coming out my ears! I retorted, " I don't know about you but I generally don't take romantic weekends away by myself, roll around alone in the rose petals which chomping down chocolate strawberries and guzzling champagne". But 'Computer says no' was having none of it and basically told me to hump off. I had to ring reception to get their crazy techy email address and if it wasn't for the Rugby, there was NO WAY I would have reserved it!!!

The visit itself was lovely, the staff were very friendly, formal but not stiff and made us feel quite a part of it all. We dined in the restaurant on the Saturday night and the food was gorgeous. However, with sides etc, the bill can really rack up but it was very pleasent. The room was nice, a little small but I had requested (when I eventually used my MI5 connections to get an email address for reception), a good view and they fulfilled that. Breakfast was mediocre, good for a 3 star, not for a five star, I have had far better. Champagne was good quality. Overall the best thing about the stay was the staff and location (bit too near Brown Thomas for my wallet's liking)

Overall, an enjoyable stay completely let down by the farcical reservation service which I have no doubt is costing them occupancy. To top it all off, when I tried to claim my reward points, they don't look you up on the system if you don't have your card at the time (I was never sent one!!)) I have to post them the invoice. Enough said!!

A weekend in Shelbourne with enough reservation anguish to tip you over the age versus a week in Marbella (same cost)

You decide.......

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Bank holiday weekend, what better way to while away an afternoon than to take tea at the Shelbourne Hotel. The setting is a light airy space off the main lobby and the gentle tinkling of the piano welcomes you in. Very comfortable seats add to the experience. We were at a large table, with lots of elbow room, nothing worse than constantly hitting off the person sitting next to you. Not an issue here. Ample room is needed, as we were all drinking different teas, so different teapots were required! The tea menu is a joy - that's the only reason I didn't give it a 5*,there should be a coffee menu too!.

We treated ourselves to the Champagne tea, and why not, bubbly adds to the whole experience. And anyone fearing that delicate sandwiches and miniature cakes wont be filling enough, be advised that we ( 4 hungry Irish ladies) were pleasantly full when we left. And I have to mention the scones, which were warmed and delicious, my favourite part of the tea.

Most of the tables were occupied by ladies, to be expected, but I'd recommend it too for a romantic afternoon interlude. Its a relaxing and restful experience, and you get to eat lovely goodies too.

So next time you are in Dublin and want to take a break from the hubbub of the city, stroll down to the Shelbourne and spend a relaxing hour or two taking tea.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel where you had afternoon tea. I am so glad that you found the experience pleasurable and that you and your friends had such a nice time. I greatly appreciate your kind comments on the food and I'm sure Katie our pastry chef will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed her home-made scones so much! If you are returning to Dublin and wish to make a future reservation please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to assist.

Raphael Bradou
Guest Relations Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I've had the pleasure of staying at the Shelbourne 3 times on business, and it is one of only a handful of hotels I'd consider coming back to for pleasure. The rooms are spacious and well accommodated, beds extremely comfy, marvelous bath. My only complaints about the rooms is the occasional maze-like trek to your room and the lack of a view unless you're fortunate enough to land one of the rooms facing St. Stephen's Green. Location is perfect with myriad of dining, drinking, and shopping options mere blocks away. Breakfast is spot on (albeit expensive for those non-platinum types), and the bar is a wonderful space, but expect it to be packed on weekend nights. Can't say enough good things about the staff. The front desk and lobby crew are the best I've encountered in over 100 properties I've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of visiting. From the curb I was well greeted, bags cared for, door held open, and directions given - all with such courtesy and respect that I wish they'd bottle it. Front desk was very accommodating when I ventured in early from the US, no wait on the room!

Great for business, great for tourists - I'll be back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to forward such a positive review of your recent visit at The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always wonderful to hear that our staff members took such good care of you and I will be sure to past your comments on to the front desk and front service teams. As a Marriott card holder we would be delighted if you choose to redeem points with us and I personally will ensure that you are looked after. Please contact me for any forthcoming bookings. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to us very soon.

Valencia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

If you are going to Dublin only once and can afford it then the Shelbourne is the place to stay. Great location, excellent service, stylish public rooms and comfortable bedrooms, but it is the history and ambiance that makes it stand out from the other 5* hotels. It's not perfect (it feels a little odd that reception is through towards the back of the hotel, no turn down service, rooms not exceptional) but for a romantic weekend or special trip it's impossible to beat.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin. We are delighted that you enjoyed the ambience and service at the hotel and found both the bedrooms and public areas stylish and comfortable. Please let me know if you have plans to return to the city at any point. I will be than happy to assist.

Guest Relations

Been to The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!