“Fabulous, luxurious hotel experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #13 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
New York City, New York
“Fabulous, luxurious hotel experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This was such an elegant hotel beginning with the uniformed doormen who escorted us to the front desk where the desk attendants were so welcoming and gracious. The room was beautifully decorated and meticulously prepared for comfort with great linens and towels. We ate breakfast every morning in their excellent dining room where service was impeccable. It was such a great retreat to return to after busy days seeing the sites in Dublin and in a great location across from the beautiful St. Stephen's Green. It reminded us of staying at The Pierre in NYC and being across from Central Park but on a much smaller scale. Would love to return and plan to do so in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Willie97

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

I was very pleased to see such a positive review of our Hotel that you posted on TripAdvisor. Thank you for that!

I am delighted that from the beginng of your Shelbourne experience you found our team members very "welcoming and gracious" - to use your own wording.

And I do hope that you will manage to bring your plans into reality and will return to our Hotel in the forseeable future. Should you indeed plan to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assit in all your travelling arrangements.

With best wishes from Dublin,

Maria Sierpowska-Harborth

MARIA SIERPOWSKA-HARBORTH | GUEST RELATIONS TEAM LEADER
THE SHELBOURNE DUBLIN, A RENAISSANCE HOTEL | 27 St Stephen’s Green | Dublin 2 | Ireland
t: 353.1.663.4500  f: 353.1 661 6006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

As a gift, we booked a double deluxe room which contains two double beds. I booked through a website and not directly with the hotel for the simple reason that the hotel were charging me 120 euro for two breakfasts on the two mornings of the stay. When I said I thought the price for breakfast was exorbitant, I was told by a very snotty person in reservations "it is the Shelbourne Hotel, and it is a 5 star Hotel".

When our guests arrived at the hotel, the Champagne that we had delivered to the hotel 24 hours earlier was sitting in reception in a bag. Not chilled in the room like requested...strange I thought as "it is the Shelbourne Hotel, and it is a 5 star Hotel".

When they went to their double deluxe room (which we paid extra for, and which was confirmed with the hotel in early June to be allocated to them) they got a standard double bedroom with one armchair looking onto a brick wall! Finally got moved to another room which wasn't much bigger but was brighter.

As this was booked as a gift we were extremely embarrassed. I did contact the hotel and eventually they got the room they should have got in the beginning. I dealt with a girl call Emma who was very apologetic and finally got it sorted. But I thought it was very poor behaviour considering "it is the Shelbourne Hotel, and it is a 5 star Hotel".

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Dear HMDIreland

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

I would like to thank you for staying at our Hotel during your recent visit to Dublin and also for your valued feedback. It is an excellent tool for our hotel team to learn more about our guests' experiences and ensure we continually seek to create the highest standards of service in all aspects of our guests' stay.

I have advised senior management in regards to this matter in order to improve our services and I do apologise for any inconveniences caused. But I am glad that in the end Emma, the assistant front office manager, was able to resolve the issue and I do hope that your Guests enjoyed their stay in the end.

Thank you again for taking the time and for sharing this with us, and I look forward to welcome you back should the opportunity arise, to The Shelbourne Hotel in the near future.
Please do contact me directly for any future reservations and I will be more than delighted to offer my personal assistance in making arrangements.

With best wishes

Maria Sierpowska-Harborth

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@reinaissancehotels.com
t: 353.1.663.4500 f: 353.1 661 6006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed there for a week and had nothing but great experiences the entire week.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear Racinetv

Many thanks for your concise, yet great review of our Hotel that you posted on the TripAdvisor website!

I am delighted to read that you had "nothing but great experiences the entire week"! That is a fantastic feedback, especially if you stayed with us longer than a couple of nights!

Hope to welcome you back to your Hotel in the future!

With best regards,

philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Arrived at 9:30 a.m. and were checked into our room immediately, a relief after an overnight flight.
Beautiful old-world elegance; courteous, gracious service
Immaculate rooms, excellent linens on comfortable beds
Room service at 1:30 a.m. was prompt, hot food, good choices
My husband had a health issue. Concierge connected us with a local pharmacist who got in touch with our family physician. Within an hour, my husband had the medication he needed. Concierge advised if that hadn't worked out, he would have gotten us in to see a local physician asap.
Didn't eat in the dining rooms but had high tea in the lounge. It was a lovely tea with all the usual treats, though probably over-priced. It was a touristy splurge that our daughter had been looking forward to for a long time, so no regrets.
There are several good hotels in Dublin, but the Shelbourne is simply the best.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Calabrese1

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

I am happy that we were able to accommodate you and your husband after the overnight flight. We always try to do our very best, as we do understand that the Guests have had a long journey behind them and simply dream of a hot shower and a comfortable bed!

Also, I am very pleased that we were able to assist your husband. Hope he is doing much better now.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!

Please do contact me directly if you are ever coming back to our Hotel.

Have a great weekend

Edgewood, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights. Our room was the 1st, next to an elevator - but we never heard it. Awesome, I was nerveous about that. This place is in a good location - as others may be. But it's an easy walk to the main shopping street/area. Most of the touristy places are of walking distance too (we took a walking tour from his hotel.). The room was very nice, bed was comfortable, the bathroom was of decent size. However - the prices in the restaurants were a bit high, but the bar areas were great and the wait staff were on top of their game. Service here was perfect.
If you're looking for a resonable priced breakfast - go out the front door, turn right. You will come upon a small restaraunt on your right side, corner of the street, maybe 2 blocks away - small but great prices & food. We love little places like this.

A very nice hotel in a very nice city. We totally enjoyed the Shelbourne.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear LuvDCaribbean

I was going through our Guests' feedback about our Hotel on the TripAdvisor website and wanted to drop you a quick line to thank you for this pleasant and favourable review of our Hotel that you posted.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay both in our Hotel and the Irish Capital City.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With best wishes,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The only thing fabulous about our visit was the toilet paper!
We got a very warm greeting from the reception staff as we checked in. the disappointments started when we saw the room. It was surprisingly small for a recently renovated hotel. The furniture was excellent. I tried the television and there was no reception - on calling reception I was told there was a problem with the signal in the area. Why wasn't I told that as I checked in? When booking online I asked for extra towels - they were not provided.
The major disappointment, and what has prompted me to write this review was the breakfast. We were delighted to be greeted with a big friendly smile and shown to our table in a most professional manner. Unfortunately there the professionalism stopped. Firstly it was a buffet! Supposedly a luxury hotel and they want guests to queue for their food. The food was warm at best. The bacon tasted like it had been cooked an hour earlier and the other food was no better. There were no staff manning the buffet so we had to call a chef to get serviettes to protect us from the heated plates. When I asked for the serviettes the chef sighed and then proceeded to test the temperature of 3 plates with the back of her hand. she handed me one serviette even though my wife was standing beside me. We had to ask for another as she turned to leave the counter. We then discovered that the only eggs on offer were well aged scrambled, not something I relish, so after sometime waiting I called another chef, who finished what he was doing without replying and then came to the counter carrying a tray of food. We asked for fried eggs he asked how many and walked away. He gave no indication of when or where we might expect our eggs. Returning to our table we ate our now cold food, eventually caught the eye of a waitress and asked for our eggs. We were well finished when the eggs arrived - cooked sunny side up!
THE BREAKFAST ROOM STAFF WERE A DISGRACE. THERE IS OBVIOUSLY AN INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS ISSUE. NOBODY CARED.
A most disappointing end to what should have been a fabulous experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear UnhappyHarry

Many thanks for your review of our Hotel that you posted on the TripAdvisor website.

At The Shelbourne, we strive for perfection and it is therefore highly regrettable that in this case we fell short of achieving the basic Marriott Standard of delighting our guests and creating a memorable stay.

I am utterly saddened to read that you had such a disappointing experience especially in our food and beverage department of our Hotel. I can assure you that I will pass you comments onto our Director of Food and Beverage, who will surely look into the matter in order to improve our services.

If you wish, please do contact me directly and i will be happy to forward your email onto Directo of F&B, as I am sure he would wish to discuss the matter in deatil with you.

Unfortunately, I am unable to reverse your experience but please rest assured that you are one of our most valued guests and we would be delighted if you would kindly provide us with an opportunity to restore your faith in us. For any return reservations you may make with us please contact me directly so I can offer the best available rate and ensure a seamless visit, from making your reservation to assisting with dinner bookings and room preferences. This will enable us to demonstrate to you what a delightful stay at our hotel should entail, from start to finish.

I thank you once again for taking the time to bring your experience to my attention and I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Shelbourne in the near future.

With kind regards,

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Fabulously historic hotel, we had a great room overlooking the green, great bed and bathroom etc, great room service, but all was somewhat spoilt by a grumpy waiter at breakfast who had no more interest in serving us , nor was the breakfast as good as the hotel should have had, we would go back though , but not rushing

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear castlechaser

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

Thank you very much for your review of our Hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay per se, however saddened by the fact that our service in the restaurant did not meet your expectations. I will notify our Director of Food & Beverage of the matter.

Having said that, I do hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With best regards,

t: 353.1.663.4500  f: 353.1 661 6006

Been to The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!