“Excellent Stay, Excellent Staff, Excellent Location” 5 of 5 stars

The Clarence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6-8 Wellington Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #67 of 171 Hotels in Dublin
RI
“Excellent Stay, Excellent Staff, Excellent Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

After walking past the Clarence each time I've been to Dublin, I made it a point that we were to stay there on our next visit to the city. Who wouldn't want to stay at a rockstar's hotel (Bono and Edge) in the heart of such a great city? My boyfriend and I had spent two weeks in Europe and decided to stay at the Clarence on our final night before taking our return flight to Boston from Dublin airport. Needless to say, we were not dissappointed.
We checked in and were greated by very friendly staff, eager to hear about our journey and everyone greeted us with a smile and made sure we had everything we needed. We were shown to our King Size suite (complimentary upgrade!) and had a beautiful view of Temple Bar. Our room was clean, elegant, comfortable and large. We had a beautiful bathroom with a soaking tub, a hallway and large room with comfortable bed. The wood accents are classy and we were excited to have made the choice to stay at the hotel.
We wandered around Temple Bar, walked to the Guinness Factory (about 20 minutes), went back to the hotel before heading out for dinnner.
I cannot emphasize enough how friendly and wonderful the staff was at this establishment. From the friendly hellos, to printing out our boarding cards and carrying our luggage the staff seemed to be there at our call. The intimate size of the hotel felt like you were returning "home" even if it was only for a night. We ordered breakfast ahead of time in the morning and it was delivered at the requested time and it was delicious. We also enjoyed specialty cocktails from the Octagon Bar after a night around Temple Bar. I highly suggest this hotel and special thanks to a wonderul staff. I wish had names to personally thank everyone. We will definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Manhattan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I checked into this gorgeous and cool hotel in the hippest section of town at 10 a.m. My room was not only ready but they had upgraded me because well I have no idea. I unpacked and went down for the most magical breakfast I have ever had. It was celebrity packed and everyone was so nice not just in the restaurant but everywhere. The 2 concierges helped me plan day trips so I ended up spending two full days in Dublin (go to the historic jail there) and three day trips, one to Galway and Cliffs of Moher, then the next day to Wicklow and then I was off to Northern Ireland. Each night when I returned home the staff knew to send me up a Guinness. Every time I ventured out and was unsure where I was going in Dublin, they drew me routes on Clarence Hotel mini maps. The room was just so wonderful and 4000 thread count sheets. Room service rocks and the chef at the Clarence is beyond talented and inventive. Go for the soups, the smoked salmon but don't forget the breakfast in the Tea Room with unique samplings of Irish food. Oh and the porridge rocks too. The rooms are sound proof so I never heard a peep. Best hotel I've ever stayed in. It's the only reason I'm writing this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

The Clarence is in a great location just near the half penny bridge. I thought it might be a bit pretentious but far from it, the staff were very friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel actually had a very homely feel. We only stayed one night but felt we'd been there longer and I would definitely return next time I visit Dublin. I just hope they don't knock it down and replace it with a more modern version as plans suggest.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

This is a high end property that is in the middle of Dublin and within easy walking of many of Dublin's attractions. Do not be suprised with the price of things at this hotel. Breakfast is close to 30 euros ($42), internet hook up 25 euros ($35) and valet parking at 25 euros. We spent all our pub money on Temple Bar so we did not eat or drink in the hotel. The front door faces the River Liffy about six blocks from O'Connell Bridge and the rear door let's you out directly on to Temple Bar. Easy walking distance to Trinity College and the Book of Kells, Grafton Street Shopping, St. Stephen's Green and Christ Church. A little bit past Christ Church but still within walking is the Guinness Brewery (must have a pint at the very top bar enclosed in glass with a 360 view of Dublin). For those not atuned to Temple Bar, it is a must place for extra "buzz" with plenty of bars, pubs, music, food and a really good time. Be prepared to sing and dance (Irish style) from 12 noon until 2 AM. If you can't have a good time in Temple Bar, stay at home! (Temple Bar is a small section of Dublin, five or six blocks long with some small feeder streets that consists of 10 or 20 pubs, plus trinket shops, great food and alot of action)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The staff was ever helpful and went out of their way to accomodate us and solve our issues, hotel-related or not. They were the well-trained staff types who are quietly there in the background and offer quiet but effective suggestions. Location: excellent. Food: excellent. Service: elegant. The hotel and room itself were stylish, funky, yet old-world elegant. I suspect this is what they were trying to achieve, and a good job they did. Stay there if you can!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

we chose this hotel because we wanted something special and memorable for our honeymoon. When we were shown our room, we found the bath was badly stained and asked to be moved to another. The next room had chips in the bath, and the bathroom was unclean. The assistant manager then showed us to another room, with the same problems in the bathroom, this was starting to become embarrassing and he said this was the best he could find and he had no other rooms available. We had nowhere else to go and it was getting late, we decided to stay, and we were given two glasses of champagne, and we made arrangements that we would talk to the manager the next day. We spent the rest of our time sightseeing the fabulous Dublin, and had a wonderful time, only returning to the hotel to sleep. The manager made no attempt to contact us during our stay, we gave feedback using the hotel forms and we wrote a letter of complaint. We have had no response from the manager. We would expect better service from a 5 star hotel, and at least an acknowledgement of our complaint. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

I stayed at the Clarence for seven nights in May of 2009. I am fortunate to be able to travel often and I have to say this is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Warm, attentive service from everyone (bellman, front desk, room service) make this hotel feel more like a private club than a hotel. Room was furnished nicely with arts & crafts style oak furniture, leather chairs, lovely bathroom, ample closet space and two huge windows. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in with top-notch linens. Great location, you can really walk to almost everything in Dublin. The Temple Bar area can get noisy at night but I had no problem with noise in my room. I can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Clarence? Share your experiences!