“Luxury and convenience” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6-8 Wellington Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland   |
Ranked #80 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
“Luxury and convenience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Having stayed in The Clarence several times my partner and I decided to return for some relaxation and shopping in Dublin. A couple of days before arriving I realised I had forgotten to book parking, an e-mail to the hotel and this was sorted with a minimum of fuss. The parking service at The Clarence is extremely convenient and good value especially considering the city centre location. We decided to have a late dinner and reserved this upon arrival. Unfortunately at our reservation time (10pm) it was explained that the customers at the table we had been allocated had not vacated. Consequently it was not possible to have dinner in the restaurant. The member of staff who dealt with us was extremely apologetic and offered to set a table in the octagon bar. Dinner was served to us in the bar and although slightly out of the ordinary the dinner experience was enjoyable. As we finished our meal the restaurant manager came to our table and thanked us for understanding the situation before informing us that no bill would be presented to us. We found this to be a very generous gesture which more than made up for not getting to eat in the restaurant itself. All of the staff we encountered during our stay were extremely helpful and courteous.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

If you are mainly concerned with location & service, then this is a good choice! But definitely lacking in both decor and care. I hear they did a big update in 1995, and it seems not much has changed since. The TVs in the room were small computer screen style, no movies, the duvets were very thin for winter use, the shower curtain was a flimsy affair that blew in and stuck to the legs, 2 towels only, no robe, very basic... But, the staff were lovely and very helpful.

Room Tip: I asked for quiet, and was given a room that looked at the back of another building. So awful view...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Visited with friends on a girly weekend, lovely hotel very friendly and went out of the way to be helpful. Mario gave us a great deal on the river suite so we all stayed together. Hotel right in the middle of the strip walk out the front door and you Are in the middle of the pubs. Walk out the front and you are on the river. Really enjoyed the weekend would defiantly visit the clerence again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Last Saturday I took my husband and mother in law for afternoon tea to the Clarence. I had booked it a week before and was relieved to get a booking as I found that every other hotel I called was solidly booked out. In hindsight I now understand why I got the booking!

On the day a helpful member of staff phoned me an hour before I was due to confirm the booking. It was only at this point I found out that the room normally reserved for afternoon tea was not available as it was booked for a group or event. She explained that we would be accommodated in the Octagon bar instead.

We arrived at the hotel around 3 pm and were directed to the Octagon bar. A table was very nicely laid for us at the end of the room which was otherwise completely devoid of life. Unable to catch the eye of the uninterested bar man at the coffee dock nearby we informed a member of staff in the Cleaver East restaurant across the hall that we had arrived and a helpful young man took our tea and coffee orders and returned with them, promising food would arrive shortly.

We waited, and waited. Not a soul came near us. The bar man in the octagon bar observed us several times as he used the coffee machine nearby but never asked if we were being served. Eventually, holding on to politeness as best I could I returned to the cleaver east restaurant and informed another member of staff there that we were awaiting afternoon tea which was half and hour in the making, and i suspected we had been forgotten in our empty end of the bar.

In fairness to her, and I do wish I had her name, she immediately rectified the situation and offered profuse apologies for what I expect was not her fault. Fresh teas and coffees were ordered and our food did manage to arrive within 10-15 minutes. All the gluten free options were there, everything was abundant and delicious but the mood of the afternoon was somewhat spoiled and the treat of afternoon tea in a chatty ambient room full of other People enjoying Christmas cheer in the big smoke was entirely lost in the chasm of the empty octagon bar.

In short this was not the experience I was looking for. The barman in particular irked me for his total dedication to ignoring us and shocking standard of service. I cannot fault the food, and the good service we received was very good, just a bit late to save what was to be a special event but would actually have been more exciting in my own kitchen. Is int that annoying on every level? Personally I would not recommend the Clarence after this experience.

Room Tip: Did not stay so cannot comment on the rooms
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
RShanley2014, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Seamus, it's such a pity to read your experience of The Clarence fell far below your expectation, and this originated with being placed in The Octagon Bar as opposed to The Study due to the event taking place in that room. The intention was that you would be fully attended to by the same staff from Cleaver East as would have done so in The Study but I can clearly see from the review that this didn't happen. The member of staff in the bar was also advised this would be the case and as such did not think he was required to do anything with your booking. It is regretful that it then seemed as though he had a disinterested manner. I have passed the review on to management in Cleaver East and I want to take this opportunity to assure you your experience of Afternoon Tea at The Clarence is far from the typical enjoyable experience. Perhaps in the near future you might come back for a visit and at that stage have a far more enjoyable experience with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

After reading mixed reviews I did wonder what would await us when we arrived in Dublin but we found The Clarence very warm and welcoming. The rooms were nice and modern and very clean however there were 7 of us in adjoining rooms but not enough towels and cups for everyone. Not a problem, a call to reception soon sorted this but considering they knew how many people were going to be staying it would have been nice to not have to chase after them.

The hotel is in a brilliant location and the river view was lovely although yes I agree with others as it can be noisy although wasnt a problem for us. We didnt eat at the hotel so cant comment on the food.

On checking out of the room I found a pair of brand new diamond earings in the safe which did not belong to any of my party. Now if I had left anything like this in the safe I would hope whoever found them would do the decent thing and hand them in so with this in mind I took them to reception and explained that I had found them. The guy on the check in desk never even took my name, room number or anything and just said 'ok'. I would actually be interested to know whether the hotel did indeed try and reunite the earings with the owner? I dont know much about diamonds but I presume as they were in the safe they were most likely real!

Anyway overall we had a fab weekend in Dublin and would definitely return to the Clarence.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
RShanley2014, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thanks for posting your review of The Clarence after your visit to us. Your compliments and positive comments about the hotel are greatly appreciated, and it's good to read the external noise was not problematic during your stay. I'm glad to know that you were quickly attended to upon the request for more towels and our accommodation team have noted your feedback with regard to ensuring enough of everything is in the room prior to arrival. Having spoken to the receptionist to whom you gave the earrings he has advised that he was familiar with which room you were in and knew which previous guest to contact in contact with in order to safely reunite the owner with their property which was done without delay. It's also a pleasure to read that you will definitely return.
Monaghan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for a night away in December.. very centrally located, once we checked in, we were greeted by a friendly face, the decor was brilliant, the rooms were fab and the beds were very comfy. We didn't eat in the hotel, we ate locally.. but overall brillant for a romantic night away and would highly recommend it!..Can't wait to go back!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
RShanley2014, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Emma, thanks for your review following your stay with us this month. It's great to read the positive comments and to know you enjoyed yourself and will make a return visit to us.
galway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

stayed one night on sat 6th of dec room 214 ,we had expected to get a good nights sleep having been to a concert in the point and a few glasses of wine,
We returned to the hotel at about 12.30 going straight to our room ,as we were tired ,but not a chance of getting sleep,the music (if you can call a constant thump thump thump for hours) music
was unbelievably loud,you could actually feel the floor vibrate,we tried to sleep but not a chance so we called reception and asked what time does the music stop, we were told about 3.30,the night manager apologised and offered us a change of room,so we got up again dressed and went to see the other room which was on the same floor at the other end of the lobby, this room was just as noisy as ours so there was no point changing rooms, at this point we were told by the night manager,that it was christmas and a lot of parties were on and night clubs in the area were open,we then returned to our room,we eventually got some sleep roughly about 6 hours,we were too late up to get breakfast as we were booked on the 11.30 train to galway so we went to reception to check out,we spoke to the duty manager and the receptionist there and explained to them our our experience the night before,we got another apology and told the same excuse we were told in the middle of the night (not the hotels fault) noise in the area, surly the idea of a hotel room is that you CAN get a nights sleep,no one books a hotel knowing they would be up all night with music,we have stayed in a lot of hotels in the world,new york.los Angeles,turkey,spain,london,tunisia and las vegas 3 times which is the party capitol,we got sleep in all these places (not in dublin )

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor very very noisy if you want to sleep on your trip dont stay here
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
RShanley2014, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Paul, thanks for your visit to The Clarence last Saturday night. It's a pity to read you did not have the experience you expected here due to the noise from a neighbouring venue. We have taken measures to block out the noise from these venues but due to the sheer proximity of these it's not possible to eliminate all of it, despite our best efforts to do so. We work in conjunction with the managers of these places in an effort to minimise the impact on hotel guests and your feedback has been noted for further discussion with them having already been brought to their attention the day after your stay. While the area is known for it's nightlife throughout the year, the manager was correct in mentioning that it's considerable busier at this time of year, and the associated noise is then more abundant. We do our best to fulfill guest requests so if you are considering staying with us again in the future we would be delighted to try to facilitate a quieter room if available.

Been to The Clarence? Share your experiences!