“Excellent hotel for business trips” 5 of 5 stars

The Gibson Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Point Village, Dublin, Ireland   |
Ranked #10 of 177 hotels in Dublin
Teplice, Czech Republic
“Excellent hotel for business trips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I had a very pleasant stay The the Gibson hotel during our company conference. The hotel is very elegant and would definitely come back during may stay in Dublin again. Breakfast was excellent and overall quality of dining is on high level.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Dear Magico79,

Great photos! Thanks for posting them up. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and took the time to leave your review. I have passed your comments on to the team. Once again, thanks for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the Gibson in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie if I can be of any assistance.

2,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tipperary, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

Only suitable for o2 concert hotel,nothing else around hotel of interest.Clean modern rooms. Bar very open and lacking atmospher, food menu very limited and way over priced steak arrived with sauce chunky potato wedges and nothing else not even lettuce or tomato Food was fine but bad value must believe like us that elsewhere was too far away to bother leaving hotel and priced and scimped accordingly. We should have jumped on luas outside door and eaten in city felt robbed and would not stay here again.I have never seen so many staff in bar/restaurant counted thirteen at one stage could not figure it out must be why food was so dear.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear IrishJohnTipperary,

We were sorry to see that the open plan design of the bar was not to your taste and that you felt that the food was over-priced. We believe that the food offering we have is very competitively priced. For example the 10oz Steak you mentioned is the most expensive item on our menu at €22.50, our other main courses are priced from €8.50 upwards with the average main course approx €15.00. I would be grateful if you would contact me personally at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie so that I could discuss your feedback with you further. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and for sharing your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

I stayed at the Gibson when I went to see strictly come dancing. The hotel is beautiful-very modern and spotlessly clean. We had the added bonus of meeting all the stars of strictly as they were also staying at the hotel! Our only disappointment was that the rooftop relaxation area was closed due to building work but apart from that the rest of the stay was wonderful. I would definitely recommend that anyone going to a show in the O2 stays here- the location couldn't be any more perfect and the hotel is beautiful. I will definitely be staying in this hotel next time i'm going to see something in the O2. One small issue was that there were no heaters out on the smoking terrace- you wouldn't spend too long out there in our Irish weather!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear fifi-tro,

We were delighted to see your review and to note that you enjoyed your stay. There was a great buzz in the hotel the night of the 'Strictly Come Dancing' good to see that you met all the stars. Sorry to see your comments about the heaters, we do have heaters on the terrace but for some reason they musn't have been on. I will mention your comments to the bar team so that they are checking the heaters more frequently. Thanks for your feedback, please get in touch if I can be of any help with future trips to Dublin, dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie. we look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson in the future.

Best
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

I stayed here for a couple of days whilst on business. The hotel is ideally located for the O2, though the centre of Dublin is a tramride away (tram outside the door).

Check in was quick, friendly and efficient. My room on the 5th floor was clean, spacious, pleasantly decorated and blissfully quiet.

By virtue of being next to the O2 the hotel is rammed after an event there and the bar becomes intolerable as people pop over from the venue, but that aside the hotel is very nice and well worth staying at.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Dickie98,

Thank you for choosing the Gibson on your recent trip to dublin and for taking the time to leave a review and share your experiences with other travellers. We were delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and we have shared your feedback with the team. We hope to welcome you back to the Gibson in the future. If there is anything I can help you with on your next visit please please do not hesitate to contact me at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.

Portlaoise, Co Laois, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I didn't think it was possible but this hotel has managed it, I stayed here early September 2010 and it was superb, on my return visit in Feburary 2011 the building was pretty much the same a few tweeks to the decor but appart from that it looked the same.

On my first visit the hotel was fairly new and some of the staff were still learning but this time around you would think they have been working in the trade for years, more professional, less nervous and more attentive.

I have read the other reviews on this forum and some of them are like you are talking about a different hotel, on both occasions when we stayed the rooms were spotless and sound proof it is like you are out in the country side in the middle of nowhere total silence. The black out curtains help assist a great nights sleep and little designs like the under bed light help you find your way back to bed in a dark room.

The rooms are very modern, comfortable and stylish with everything you will need, TV, hairdryer, iron, AC, huge bathroom with 2 showers rain/power shower.

This is a great value for money hotel right beside the 02, luas, a short walk or taxi trip away are Croke Park, Landsdown Rd and the RDS.

I have stayed in about 20 hotels around Dublin and The Gibson is my favourite, my advise is try it for yourself and if you have an issue with your room not being clean or the food not up to scratch tell the staff when you are there and give them the chance to redeem themselves, if there was something I wasn't happy about I would speak up straight away, I am the customer, I am paying the bill and I expect to get what I am paying for, and I can safely say that they have delivered on each of my visits and I look forward to staying again this month hopefully.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Dear Adeasy,

We were delighted to read your review which I have passed on to the team. Thank you for choosing the Gibson Hotel(twice!), its great to see that you noticed the little changes and the improvements in service from your last stay. If you are staying with us again be sure to let me know at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie, I would be delighted to look after any requirements. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel in the future.

Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Rooms here are lovely, unlike some other customers ours was ready immediately when we arrived at 2.30. Bathroom was a nice size and spotlessly clean, and the shower is huge and very powerful which was great! Bed was really comfortable and there was no noise from the urrounding rooms so we slept really well.
The staff were very polite and as helpful as they could be under the circumstances, but there didn't seem to be nearly enough of them in the bar both before and after our 7.30 show, so the service was extremely slow - one poor lad looked like he was about to cry when I asked him for 2 cocktails as he had so many orders! A pot of tea ordered after the show was stone cold by the time a jug of milk turned up.
Now as for the food, I can honestly say that the late lunch we had in the coda restaurant was the worst meal either of us has ever had. The "fresh pasta with cepes, hazelnuts and spinach" turned out to be cheap tortellini from a packet witht a flavourless brown lump in the middle that I doubt had ever seen a mushroom, swimming in a bland, gloopy sauce with some stale toasted hazelnuts and spinach thrown in. The fish in tempura batter tasted like it had been frozen and had an unpleasant slimy texture. The chips, all five of them, were, in fairness, quite nice, and the freshest thing on the table. We were offered one slice of bread each from the only unpleasant staff member we encountered, who then took the side plates away without asking if we wanted any more. We didn't venture desert or coffee.
After the show we decided to have sandwiches and wedges in the bar (how far wong can you go?) and again the homemade wedges were nice, and presumably very fresh since they took 25 minutes to arrive! Though in fairness to the staff it was extremely busy and there were not enough hands on deck. The sandwiches were awful. Six euro (the wedges were an extra three euro) bought you cheap white sliced pan that had gone crusty from being left out too long with a wafer thin sliver of roast beef from a packet. The coolea cheese on the menu didn't appear at all, and was replaced, without explanation, with onion marmalade. This was served with a few lettuce leaves and a lonely sundried tomato segment. No condiments were provided for the chips and we didn't bother to ask.
On the plus side, the breakfast was fine, what you would expect from the average hotel buffet, but I would never eat lunch or dinner here again. Oh and the wine - the pinot grigio we ordered was out of stock so we opted instead for an awful chardonnay which, at 26 euro, was the cheapest wine on the menu!
It's a shame that what seems to have ben cost cutting on ingredients and sufficient staff numbers marred what was otherwise a very nice hotel in a fantastic location for concert goers. I would stay again the next time I go to the 02, but i'll be eating and drinking elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Strictly Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your extensive review, which we were very disapointed to read. I have passed your review on to our team and am currently following up on the issues you raised with our Food & Beverage Team. I would be grateful if you would email me with your contact details so that I may follow up with you personally. My email address s dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie. I look forward to hearing from you.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I didn't actually stay in the Gibson however we visited for a drink following a show in the O2 Arena. To be fair the hotel itself is clean & modern. The decor is not to my taste but everyone is different.

The service in the Bar however is not great. The bar itself is small and not suited to the high volume of people that surely must have been anticipated in building the property so close to the O2. There was an insufficient number of staff in the tiny bar and a manager who was more concerned with playing with the remote control for the TV than helping his team serve the waiting customers (who were at least two deep) at the bar!

There was however a friendly Welsh Girl on duty behind the bar who was really friendly and was trying her best to make sure everyone was looked after. I would visit the hotel again, although perhaps at a quieter time.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear Nicky_the_lady,

Thank you for stopping in to visit us after the show in the 02. We do have an extensive bar area in the Gibson Hotel and on that particular night there were three bars open. The bar you were in is the first bar you come accross when you come in the door. This is a small bar and we would generally use this bar as our residents bar. If you venture around the corner you will come into the Hemidemisemiquaver bar which has extensive seating and we also have the Stratocaster bar which is located past our restaurant( Coda Eatery). We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Gibson Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie if you are returning and I would be delighted to give you a tour of our facilities. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Deputy General Manager

Been to The Gibson Hotel? Share your experiences!