“Upscale, high tech hotel, not great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Food & Beverage Credit
Ranked #11 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Upscale, high tech hotel, not great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Gibson has great service, lovely ultra modern rooms, and excellent restaurant. What it doesn't have is a good location. It is near the airport but more than a mile/kilometer from downtown Dublin and either train station. It is steps from a tram line if that work for you. The trams are fast, clean and frequent but cost money. There also are no restaurants nearby. There is a Spar grocery store a block away with lots of bakery items, fruit, etc. Good business location, not so good for tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor to avoid elevator rides or the 6th floor if you want the exercise room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I like modern architecture and decor with lots of glass/light. I got that at the Gibson. My 4-week trip to Ireland started here, and most importantly to me, with a good bed to rest in after plenty of walking and touring. Comfort 5 stars; Decor 5 stars; Cleanliness and pleasant maids 5 stars; Management helpful 5 stars. Internet computers available in lobby 5 stars. Location could be down a hit depending on your wants and needs. This is not the location for people who wish to party hearty in pubs and wander about the city in fellowship with other party people. It seems to do a good bit of business custom and front desk is professional if not friendly. Bar has nothing of interest. Friendly young bartender did give me helpful recommendation to find micro-brews in Dublin - Porterhouse! They are in Dublin, Cork and I think I saw one in Dingle? or somewhere. OK, with all this positive, what was negative? Restaurant and food. My brother and his wife joined me in the bar area one evening for dinner and the Thai selections were quite horrid. the pork belly tasted rancid, but apparently that is due to use of Chinese 5 spice. Another negative: Snootiness of breakfast hostess. This was reported to management. I couldn't get a cup of coffee. That is a BIG minus for US customers. I found my way walking to Spencer Dock area along the Luas tracks to a Lottery store that allowed a large cup of fresh hot coffee with choice of muffin for 2.49. Sanity restored. BTW, you can also pick up beer and crisps at SPAR just a couple blocks away. I am female, traveling alone, and a cab driver told me not to go out in the neighborhood at night due to "druggies." I asked others, and they confirmed. I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat. Really liked it, but I do like staying away from crowds of milling people. I do not like haughty hostesses who send you to bar for cup of coffee when bar is not set up with coffee cups.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
co cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here 20-22 june for rihanna concert in the avaiva room 578

The Good, stunning rooms spotlessly clean,. especially liked the huge walk in shower , every appliance you need .
Staff were just the right amount of friendly,.luas outside front door servicing city every few min .
O2 directly opposite.
Odeon cinema on your door step (come out of main door turn left next door you meet is cinema).
Good selection for breakfast and was fine both days, i wouldnt be raving about it for 15 euro each seemed a little hit and miss temperature wise.

The Bad, for majority of 2 day stay almost felt like only guest at hotel apart from a few people at breakfast, bar's are seriously lacking atmosphere really annoying elevator type music on constant loop in bars and restaurant, this is enough to put me off a return visit especially as no other pubs in area, even the radio would have been better.

Had asked at reception where the cinema was and was told, i found out after my stay that the hotel does a main course dessert and cinema deal for 25/person, a little disappointed i wasnt given this info at reception .

The Kinky, that glass window from bathroom to bedroom,to leave in natural light dont ya know :-)its fine for a couple but i really wouldnt have any comfort if i was staying with a friend or family, so if like me you prefer to do your bathroom business in private make sure to ask for a room without it.

I would recommend this hotel for O2 concerts business trips or if you just want to relax its perfect, pity atmosphere isnt a little better as would make this hotel exceptional in my eyes

Room Tip: If your a smoker get a balcony
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at The Gibson with our two young children and it was the first time we hadn't stayed in the city centre, and I must say we will definitely be returning (in fact my husband and I have already been with a crowd of friends). It is a great location whether driving down or getting the train the Luas drops you at the door. We ate in the restaurant with the kids for which they had a seperate menu and I'm always instantly more relaxed when the waitress brings colouring in paraphernalia. We went to a show in Bord Gas and walked from there to grafton street (with a 7and 4year old)-granted it was a lovely day! Although they don't have a pool we managed to keep the kids entertained and the advice of the staff was spot on. jumping on the Luas literally outside the door was novelty enough but we disembarked in town and went to the Leprauchan museum rounded off a perfect trip. Food staff and service were all 10/10.

Room Tip: Family rooms for four were perfect size,overlooking the roof garden is just lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Catherine M,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. Your words are very kind, are gratefully received and have given us all a big lift.

I hope it is not too long before you return to us again.

Kind Regards

Manager on Duty
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Friendly welcome at reception and staff efficient and answered queries with no problem. Room clean, bright and I agree with Cherryville - one of the best ever showers. Beds were comfortable. Restaurant opened at 6pm which is late for those on a theatre break and with only eight people in it the service was abysmally slow. We had not time to complete the meal. Food when it arrived was good. The staff displayed no urgency. Breakfast was quite good but food coolish. Situation ideal for TheO2 and is on a Luas stop. Will use again and hope the restaurant staff have ironed out their inefficiency..

Dear Glenn2512,

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your constructive feedback which I have taken onboard fully.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be a truly memorable one

Kinds Regards

Manager On Duty
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Gibson is new and freshly designed. The rooms are large and comfortable. We slept well every night and we stayed here for six nights. The service was excellent, especially at the front desk (Lenka at reception was very personable and welcoming). Parking is secure but it is an extra expense. The Luas (tram) is right outside the door and will take you quickly to central Dublin. The hotel has a few different amenities, including a "relaxation room" and gym. It was outside of the bustle of Temple Bar and very easy access for a car from outside Dublin, from the airport and to some of the places around Dublin (Howth and New Grange).

Dear CalgaryBuffalo,

It is a delight to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we are already looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Manager On Duty
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I loved the welcome at reception and the rooms were just great. Great big airy rooms withs lots of natural light, best shower in hotel ever.
Only negative was bar and restaurant service. Bar very slow (quiet night) and breakfast quality not good. Eggs hard as rocks, temperature problems.
I hope the next time I return it will be better. Such a pity.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Gibson Hotel? Share your experiences!