“Cold But Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Northern NJ
“Cold But Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Travel at my work booked me at The Gibson for 2 full nights and an early morning arrival from US for a 3rd night, so this was not my own research or selection. The Gibson just happens to be about 2/3 mile away from an office in Dublin for my employer, located on North Wall Quay. So, benefit of The Gibson is that I could walk to the office in about 10 minutes from my room at The Gibson.

I arrived at the hotel at about 6:30AM, and the entrance door was locked. The hotel clerk had to come down the three floors from reception level, and open the door to let me in. Check in was fast. The hotel needs to know if you are going to use the fitness center, so they can program the room key. Never saw that before.

This is a very modern hotel, with typical trendy design, but also modern room controls. When you enter the room, there is a controller for your room key, which turns on the power and the HVAC in the room. The room was good size for a European hotel, with plenty of lighting.

Here's what I liked: The bed was firm and comfortable. The room was very clean and spacious. The room has plenty of closet space. The shower was large, with two different shower heads, and plenty of very hot water. The bed has a night light underneath - - never saw that before.

Here's what was odd, and what I did not like: The room had two single beds, that were set apart by about 6 inches. I have never been in a hotel before with single beds - - very wierd, especially for such a large room, but maybe just a European thing. The bathroom has one of those very trendy above counter bowls. It worked very well, but call me old fashioned, I much prefer an undercounter sink.

The HVAC was my biggest complaint. I do not like the fact that the room key controls the HVAC. It don't mind that it controls the electric for lights, etc., so that hotel guests do not run up the bill for unnecessary electric consumption when not in the room. But, it was COLD in Dublin while there. Outdoor temperatures were slightly above freezing during the day with nothing but clouds and cold showers, and temperatures were below freezing in the evening. I arrived at the room at 6:30 AM very tired, since I had just arrived from USA and slept about 1 hour on the overnight flight to Dublin. Walking into a frozen room was not enjoyable. Then, I was out of the room all day and did not return until mid-evening each day. With no heat running during the day or early evening, the room was frozen upon arrival at night. While the HVAC came on upon entry, the room has limited controls, The heat just never seemed to warm the room. It always felt cold. I could not sit in the room without being in that nice hot shower, or under the covers on the bed.

I would consider staying at The Gibson again, if in Dublin on business, since close to my office. But, it would have to be in the summer, when the weather is not as cold as this March 2013.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a team meeting and I found both the accomadation and conferencing facilities excellent. Isa Murphy was very helpfull with organising my meeting requirements . The breakfast is excellent with a large and varied choice. It is a very modern hotel and kept extremely clean. I would highly recommend this hotel for both business & down time..

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear J O Grady O,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed you most recent stay at the gibson hotel and thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for your next concert or leisure stay.

Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Gibson in a family room recently to facilitate attendance at a concert in the O2. Signs to the hotel were clear, we came from Cavan! And underground parking preserved us from the torrential rain of dublins summer. Once inside, it was easy to find lifts to reception. I approached the eager member of staff, well dressed and very smiley! Professionally greeted and very happy with level of attentiveness given to my wife children and I. Proceeding to the room via the bar, I ordered a Guinness which was carried to my room behind our entourage.. Lovely beer, right temperature and fresh. Room was a suit or family room, great space, balcony, tv air con was refreshing in the muggy atmosphere of rain from the balcony. We were quite high up and so the view over the city of Dublin was tremendous. We could even see the mountains. Anyway, we went to the concert that night and enjoyed it immensely. When we returned to the hotel it was easy to embark again with the crowds to one side we were ushered through to our bar. Late food at around 1am was great, and once again a drink or two were brought to our room. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience of the Gibson ,and would recommend 100 per cent and return readily.

Room Tip: Higher the better,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear bilko68,

Thank you very much for such positive feedback on here and I am sure all the staff here at the gibson hotel will be delighted to read your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and we patiently await for your next visit.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Gibson is the perfect location if you want to see a show at the O2 It's literally in front of the door.
Airport shuttles (not all of them...be sure to check) drop of right at the hotel and the luas (the Dublin tram) connects with the city center. A taxi ride is only 7-8 Euros.
This hotel is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ChristinM,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of the gibson hotel with the trip advisor community, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have just returned from Dublin where I stayed at The Gibson Hotel with my sister during St Patrick's weekend.

The hotel is very modern looking and had a great atmosphere inside, where the staff was extremely helpful and polite. It was easy to reach from the airport, about 15 minutes on the Aircoach for €10 return.

We stayed in a normal room on the 5th floor. The room was enormous and nice and clean. The shower was big and very pleasant too being wetroom style! No bath, though.

Locationwise, the hotel is excellent for those visiting the O2 arena as it is opposite the building on a quiet square. As for the city centre, well, if you don't mind catching the Luas tram, then this is conveniently located just outside the hotel. The tram stop is called "The Point" and it is at the end of the red line. Single tickets to Abbey Road cost €2, or you can buy a daily ticket for €6.40. The tram takes just 10 minutes to journey to the city centre.

Now, whilst the location isn't awful by any means, I would have preferred to stay closer to all the action (near O'Connell Street) as the trams stop running soon after midnight and if you want to walk, it will takes you 25-30 minutes or €10 in the taxi. There is also little to do in the immediate vicinity, although the hotel bar itself was very plush with a GnT costing just under €8. Also, bear in mind if you are travelling on St Patrick's Day then the tram does not run from the city centre to the hotel, so you will have to walk or taxi.

Another reason I have given 4 stars instead of 5 is that breakfast was not included. I think if I am paying £130 per night for a standard room, then I should not be paying an extra €18 for breakfast. Though there were lots of food options in the city centre.
It would have also been nice to have a minibar in the room.

Overall, I recommend this hotel highly :-)

P.S. I also recommend eating stew at the Guinness Storehouse as it was amazing!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Christina2001,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The location of The Gibson is spot on, Showers are perfect, shower products are really lovely but the breakfast is awful, it is very poor quality and very poor choice, been here twice this year and spent four nights here and on all occasions the breakfast has been awful, hotel is clean, modern and well located but the food would need to improve

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear littlemisshappy2010,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am glad you enjoyed your rooms along with the great shower products we provide in the bathrooms. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy breakfast with us though.

We are looking into improving on our service and hope you will allow us the pleasure of having you stay with us in the future.

Kind Regards,

limerick,ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I were going to see One Direction at the O2 so we chose the hotel for its location beside the venue plus the fact that we could get the Luas direct from the train station to its front door.I wasn't expecting it to be so modern,clean and the staff so friendly.The rooms are very cool (daughters word not mine) with a great shower.My only gripe was that the walls are a little thin so it's maybe not so peaceful.The complimentary newspaper is a nice touch.I would definitely recommend the breakfast,one of the best I've had.My daughter is mad to go to another concert just so we can stay at the Gibson again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear deauvile,

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Manager On Duty

Been to The Gibson Hotel? Share your experiences!