“Nice Hotel expensive Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Food & Beverage Credit
Ranked #10 of 176 Hotels in Dublin
Drogheda
“Nice Hotel expensive Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed at the Gibson Hotel recently. Found it a little strange the reception on the third floor. The room and bathroom vere very clean and compfortable.The reception area we felt was very clinical in appearance.The staff were extremely friendly and efficent. The purpose for the stay was the Andrew Rieu concert in the O2. It was very convenient as the O2 was just across the road. I would definately stay again my only quibble was breakfast at €18 was very pricey. We did not have it instead went into town and had breakfast for two for €14.Yes this was for two €7 each. I cannot understand why hotels cannot charge a reasonable rate for breakfast as they are the losers in the end

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cork Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We recently stayed at the Gibson for a few nights - and I must say we were most impressed.
The hotel is amazing - really modern and sort of 'funky'. It was not what I was expecting. It is very different - for starters the reception is on 3rd floor - as are bedrooms and restaurant/bar. Our room was a little on the small side but it had everything we could want. It was really clean and comfortable. Bed was super comfy. We requested a bath as I believe only some rooms have baths. We had a balcony with nice views - it would be quite nice at a warmer time of year. They have really cool art work all over the hotel (and in the rooms). It is not a 'Four Seasons' type of 'luxury', 'romance', 'staff falling over you to help' hotel - if you feel that is important for your stay.

Wifi is complimentary - however you need to get little slips of paper at reception (separate one for each phone or device) - I think they last 24 hours. Several of mine didnt work which was a bit frustrating at the time. Breakfast was great - good variety of hot and cold items. Day 1 (Friday) was terrific - lots of everything - however day 2 (Saturday) quite a few items had run out at 9.30am and weren't replaced by the time we finished. Not the end of world - as the overall variet is good.

We also ate in Hemidemisemiquaver (I think thats how they spell it) - - which is the bar dining area. They have a terrific Asian restaurant here. Food was fabulous - really authentic, service was prompt even though the place was jammed full of concert goers (02 is literally outside the front door). Prices were very reasonable.

To clarify various postings here about the car park - the price is €14 for 24 hours (not for your entire stay as one poster said). Get a multi entry card at the car park reception (separate company from the hotel - so Gibson reception cannot help you) - and you can come and go as you please. We pre paid - which was very handy.

Luas red line stops outside the door - which we found very convenient for getting into the city centre.

To sum up - a very modern hotel with fabulous facilities. 02 and Luas couldn't be nearer. Shop around for best rates with price comparison websites. Factor in - breakfast (€15) and parking (€14 per night). I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a balcony - especially if you are a smoker!!!!
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Gibson really is a neat hotel. It's fresh, new, and modern, and I do find it incredibly appealing. Still, needs a little bit more heart (as will be detailed below). See my pros and cons and overall impressions below:

PROS:

- The front desk staff. The staff members are incredibly friendly and accommodating. They will be there for you to help you out with local suggestions for restaurants, attractions, and anything else that you need. We even arrived early to the hotel, and the front desk staff were able to get us into our room by 10am. Excellent service. There was one staff member that wasn't that great (that will be detailed in the CONS section), but this staff member did not seem to match the rest of the staff.
- The rooms. How pleasant! The beds have lighting underneath that acts as sort of a night light. The walk-in shower was INCREDIBLE. So relaxing. The hotel has a fresh bottle of still water that is filtered in-house, and this struck me as being incredibly thoughtful. I also thought it was neat that there was a speaker in the bathroom that was connected to the television so you could continue listening to music while taking a shower. The electric blinds were a nice though (as was the walk-out shared balcony and sliding glass doors). Finally, I loved that the television has a USB port that will play avi files. I got to watch some of my favorite shows right from my USB drive. They really have thought of everything inside of the rooms.
- The trendy, modern decoration found throughout the hotel is truly fun. A lot of effort and time went into making this hotel feel like it has an industrial glow to it.
- The tram! It's the last stop, and it's such a short ride to city center, and it's directly in front of the front door! No joke. You walk outside, and there it is. This is probably the #1 reason to stay here as a visitor to the city. The ease of transportation.
- They have a really cool front desk clock that tells the time in words. Fun.

CONS:

- The NUMBER ONE ISSUE is the temperature of the rooms. They just will not cool down. I saw this problem in a previous review, and they assured me that this would not be a problem during my stay. Was it a problem? Yes. I had to keep my sliding glass doors open at night to let the cool November air in because it was simply too stuffy and hot (even at the lowest setting). I was very disappointed that the room would simply not stay cold. I can't even imagine what it would be like in the summertime. They must get this fixed!
- The price. It's expensive.
- The stupid key card that needs to stay in the wall to keep the electricity on. I get the reason for it, but I just find it annoying.
- Unfinished sections of the building. It just feels strange. They need to finish things up.
- A staff member, Shalene, seemed like guests were an inconvenience. She gave little eye contact, had a lot of attitude, and didn't seem particularly helpful during my two interactions with her. I realize that we can all have bad days or weeks, but it just was not pleasant interacting with her. A simple smile would have been enough for me.
- The odd pink front desk. There are two really fun lit front desks, but then there's the odd third front desk that is banged up and solid pink. It just looks awkward and like a mistake. Fix it, please.
- The lighting in the front desk area. It's too dark at night. It feels like the front desks are hiding in a cave. This is where the heart comes into play. Warm it up a bit and make it look a little more inviting with a little more light up above.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

This place is in a great location with great access to transportation. It's new, fresh, and clean, and you will not be disappointed by your stay here. Still, THEY MUST GET THE TEMPERATURE ISSUES FIXED. IT'S TOO HOT! With a few minor improvements, this place will really shine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel is very modern. The bedrooms are comfortable and have all ammenities. Must say had a good nights sleep. Staff very efficient and friendly. Only drawback was breakfast. As with most buffets everything was COLD. Scrambled eggs only,would prefer a choice. Other than breakfast I would recommend a stay in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kerry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here recently for concert at O2 for which the situation is perfect. Entarnce unusual as foyer is on third floor but apart from that the Hotel itself is excellent and the staff are among the best I have experienced in any Hotel in which I have stayed. The only qualification I would have is that the Menu in the Resturant on the night was very limited but I would put this down to the very large theatre going crowd on thenight. All in all an excelent Hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed in the Gibson in September and had an amazing experience. I have never felt the need to write a review before but our stay was a pleasure from arrival for drinks and dinner with a chilled out DJ giving the place a good vibe, to the cupcakes and birthday card for my husband which was a surprise when we arrived to our room. The room was fantastic, ultra modern and clean decorated to the highest of standards. The location is fab and it is the little attention to detail that made this one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. All the staff were very friendly and efficient and I felt so pampered I didn't want to leave! I will definitely be booking to stay again in the new year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Navan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The wife and I stayed here last night as we were attending Lionel Ritchie concert in the adjacent O2. For those of you whom don't know the area that well The Gibson Hotel is about 40 foot from the O2 arena, exceptionally handy if attending a concert or event at the O2.

We booked room only basis for €88. There is an underground carpark, i think the hourly rate was about €2.70, a special concert rate is €10 but you cannot avail of this before 5 pm, overnight stay valid for up to 24 hours is €14. A lift from the carpark will bring you to the reception of the hotel on the 3rd floor.

We were checked in immediately by very friendly staff. We were given a room on the 4th floor. The views are magnificent over the city, Croke Park in the distance is a fantastic sight. The room was spotless, modern and comfortable. Did not eat at The Gibson though as we had eaten prior to our arrival. Whilst outside having a cigar I watched 2 doorstaff turn away literally hundreds of people whom wanted to come in for a drink before the concert or for something to eat, the same reply was given to all of them, residents only. There were quite alot of stunned and little bit upset people there, so if your planning on having a meal or a drink here before an event, then plan again!

After the concert at about 11ish the bar was closed in the hotel but this was only an observation as we walked passed it anyway. overall i'd be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Gibson Hotel? Share your experiences!