“Very good hotel, but be careful if you are parking in the garage” 4 of 5 stars

The Gibson Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Point Village, Dublin, Ireland   |
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Dublin
Milan, Italy
“Very good hotel, but be careful if you are parking in the garage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have already written a review off the Gibson and I can only confirm and endorse my positive comments. It is one of the best hotels I have stayed in Dublin, very comfortable, with large, well appointed and quiet rooms. The location is not so central, but the Luas tram is rightly outside the hotel entrance. However this time I have to report a not so pleasant experience with the use of the garage. The Gibson does not have its own garage, but has a convention with the large O2 Arena garage. This is perfectly OK as long as you do not park your car overnight and have to leave very early in the morning to catch an early flight out of Dublin. When I arrived at the Gibson last week I parked the car in the garage and I asked, while checking in, what I had to do to leave early. The receptionist told that I could pay the garage at the time I was leaving directly in the hotel as the garage is closed overnight and just told who ever was on duty that I had a car in the garage. This is what I did at 5.30 am, I paid the garage (14 €) and asked the manager on duty what I had to do. He said that everything was ok and so I went; just to find out that the garage gates were closed and there was no way to communicate with the hotel, no intercom, nothing. I had to leave the car and run back to the hotel reception (on the third floor, not exactly a short run, given the size of the garage).
It took them 10 minutes to summon the security guy and get him to the gate and open it. This is not acceptable. If the hotel has a convention with the O2 garage they should put in place a system where about the hotel patrons could use the garage at any time, day and night. Therefore be aware if you are driving to the Gibson and intend to park your car in the garage overnight. Having reported this, I still think that the Gibson is a very good hotel and I would highly recommend it for your business and pleasure stays in Dublin.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Liffey have a great view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is in an ideal location for a show in the O2; we had stayed there previously & really liked it. We booked this hotel for 2 nights on this occasion & were disappointing for the following reasons:
-we had dinner in the hotel restaurant before the concert. I asked for a cosmopolitan & the waitress had poor English. She said I could have a cocktail but she'd have to go to bar (which is just around the corner!), she didn't understand what I wanted so asked me to write it down for her! Options on menu are limited so my boyfriend ordered a 7oz steak. It was served with 6 chips & pepper sauce & nothing else & was €24 & he was still hungry after it. The bread served before dinner was a disgrace. Service was poor & unfriendly. All in all dinner was poor, expensive & we certainly wouldn't dine there again
-we bought breakfast vouchers when we checked in. Receptionist explained if we bought them then it would cost €10 each but in morn it would be €15 thus we booked in advance. We requested room service & were told it was €4 extra charge for this which was fine. We ordered a standard breakfast & that's all it was but on checking out it was listed on our bill for €40!!! I queried the cost with receptionist & she checked with manager in back office & returned to say it was a mistake & should be €24 & her manner was quite confrontational with no great apology
-we were told by a trainee receptionist on leaving hotel the first eve we had to pay €14 for parking for first night & on re entering car park that night to take a new ticket & pay €14 for 2nd night at reception on check out. However when we were checking out we were asked why we didn't get a multi use ticket from car park attendant; I explained we didn't realise & told her what trainee had advised. She was quite abrupt & didn't apologise that we were given the wrong info re parking, gave us a new ticket for exiting & explained it was just €14 for use of car park for the 2 nights. She was very business like as were all the staff.
-In summary, the food & service in this hotel are poor. As a result we wouldn't choose to stay here again. On the previous occasion we stayed this wasn't the case so standards have slipped in this hotel which is a shame

• Stayed November 2012
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Gibson is fabulous.
Ultra modern and chic, without compromising comfort.
I booked one night, as we were going to a concert in the O2, got a triple room for €115.
The hotel is very easy to access and the Luas stops literally at the front door!
Really genuine and friendly welcome upon arrival, hotel is spotlessly clean and so pleasant. It is so tranquil, which is very unusual in such a central location and for such a large hotel.
The reception is on the third floor, as is the bar and restaurant, a bit odd at first but the views from the third floor explain why this is the case.

The rooms are spacious, fresh, relaxing and airy. One of the only hotels I have stayed in where three people can share a room comfortably and without a stuffy feel in the room.
Shower is amazing and the bed is so comfortable.

The O2 is on the doorstep of the hotel, which is great, particularly in late October in freezing weather! Our friends were very jealous of where we had booked as they faced a long walk in the cold and we were so close to the O2.

We didn't try the restaurant but will try it when we stay next time, Coda Eatery has a nice menu as does the bar.

The location is fantastic, it is in the city but located in the financial service centre so it is very safe and quiet but with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. Also, we walked to O'Connell Street from the hotel and the walk was very pleasant and took around 20 minutes at a leisurely pace with suitcases.

I am really looking forward to going back to this hotel and would 100% recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not book any other hotel for the O2! The Gibson is unbeatable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night as we were going to a show in the 02. It is so convenient for concert goers as it is directly across from venue. The room was fantastic. Very spacious, modern and with a fabulous shower. We ate in the bar before the show and the food was fabulous.The staff were really friendly. The only downside is that the car parking cost €14 for the night. We will definatley be staying in the Gibson again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

For city breaks, location is everything and if you're attending a gig at the O2 during your stay - this place really is hard to beat. It's literally right in front of the hotel and the Luas (to take you straight to the city centre) is just a few steps away.

This is a very cool, hip looking hotel with the right mix (I think) of style and comfort. I had a regular double room and the bed was HUGE, the room was really comfortable with stylish and functional fittings. (and a massive shower - you could dance a jig in it...)
The only bug-bear here is that my sisters were in another double room and they got a wheel-chair accessible bathroom - again, not a big deal - but it's nice to know this stuff on check in...
Reception is equally stylish (if a little airport-ish) but the staff are lovely and friendly.

The bar is comfy (while still very stylish)... but getting an order at the bar can be a tad challenging (when it's overrun with O2 go-ers I'd understand but there were times when it was pretty quiet and it felt like we were waiting around quite a while... Drinks are about average price-wise for Dublin, nothing too hair-raising. It did get a bit cold at night (possibly just where we were sitting) - so bring an extra layer in case.
The residents bar is nice but again, a bit cold and the poor guy behind the bar seemed to be running back and forth from the main bar a lot so service was a bit scattered.

As we were attending a show we pre-booked dinner for 7pm that night with the idea of having a quick bite but we didn't get seated till 7.20 so we just ended up eating starters so I can't comment on the food really. What we ate was nice and the waiters were really accomodating.

I booked a room only rate via the hotels own web-site and paid €169.00 - breakfast was another €10 per person which we did avail of as we had a very early start the next day.
This irked me a little bit - I think €169.00 should really include breakfast and I was annoyed I didn't a) book earlier or b) do a little more research as I reckon I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere.
That said - the breakfast was really lovely, good selection of everything and it was all perfectly fresh (though we were up with the birds!)

All in all this is a very nice hotel - I'd stay here again if I was attending the O2 but I don't think it's got enough to bring me back for a regular city break.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I loved this hotel, it felt very stylish and comfortable, lovely modern bedroom with a large shower and on the Luas line. There was a lovely view foreign the lobby too. I would definitely stay again. Good professional staff also.

• Stayed December 2011
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I'm very cynical so a hotel generally has to work hard to impress me and impress me they did. Like all Tripadvisor users I'm generally popular of Tripavisors old slogan "Get informed, then go". I knew how much breakfast was to add, that parking was extra and that I could upgrade my room.

I booked a room only rate with a price comparison website and saved much less than the hotel directs price so used the saving to upgrade our room to an Executive Suite, which turned out to be unavailable so ended up in a Corner Suite #523

We arrived at 3pm, parked only spaces from the elevator in the secure private underground car park, joined a short queue for check in and made our way to our large room(pictures attached).

It's a corner suite with two balconies. One has two chairs and a table on it and the other is a Juliet style balcony. Bathroom has a bath and a shower and, I'm open to correction, underfloor heating.(feet were warm anyway) There is a frosted window on the corner into the bedroom with a small gap between the frame and the frost so you "could" see in from outside although you'd have to really go out of your way to try.

Ladies, you will end up sitting on the floor in the wardrobe area using straightners and stuff in that room because the workdesk doesn't have a mirror. They're the only negatives and minor really.

The large bed is very comfortable, the pillows are medium(just right) and the sound from outside of other rooms is non existent.(for us anyway it was - end of corridor)

Clean. It was spotlessly clean. I couldn't the room of any part of the hotel in any way.

The bar was great. It was pre event and post event in the 02 arena so busy but it was great, balcony for smokers and people watchers as well. We ate in the restaurant, great choice of food and reasonable prices. Breakfast was standard hotel breakfast but the staff was attentive. Could only suggest to hotel the existence of croissants. Closest thing was a mini pain au chocolat. Quality ingredients. You could nearly rate a hotels stars by the quality of it's juice but everything was 100%.

For non events visitors, the hotel has the very frequent Luas(tram) stop outside(end of line) and it's great value for money and a short enough trip to the city centre.

Personally I'd have liked a view over the O2(south) or over the docklands(East) so this is my suggestion when booking a room, South is best but ask for a high room) because the sound of the bar would be below you.

Would I return? Yes, definately.

Room Tip: High Floor, South Facing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Gibson Hotel? Share your experiences!