“Fantastic ” 5 of 5 stars

12 Bridge Street Lower, Dublin 8, Dublin 8, Ireland   |
Ranked #78 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
“Fantastic ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed 6 of us at O Sheas the merchant last Saturday night because we were going to Vicar St to see the Stylistics
We all live here in Dublin but wanted to come into town and and have a few beers stay over and have no driving concerns
And although we are all in our late fifthys and have always lived in Dublin until O Sheas came up on booking . Com we did not know it was anything other than a traditional Irish music bar
As it is walking distance to Vicar St we went ahead and booked it
I have to say we were all very pleasantly surprised
This is not the four seasons but for the cost you could not possibly expect
For anybody coming to Dublin looking for a true Irish pub come B/B experience well this is it
All the staff are Irish and very helpful and the atmosphere is exactly what I would consider to be Irish
The big bonus is the Irish breakfast you will not find anywhere in this country a better Irish breakfast and @€7.50 its untouchable
Open to all comers as far as I could see,we will call for breakfast the next time were in town for sure
So thank you OSheas for making a good night out a great night
And special thank you to the breakfast team

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

This hotel is #1 in hospitality and service! Everyone we encountered was more than kind and gracious. With a pub downstairs (2 separate venues), you just can't bet it. We will definitely stay here again! Thank you for the big Irish Welcome!

Room Tip: Ask for a floor up, if you can't sleep with a little noise.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

We came here for breakfast both days of our trip and dinner one night.

Debbie served us and was very kind, helpful and accomodating to my friends when they asked to change items from the breakfasts and at 7.50 euro it has to be the best value breakfast in Dublin.

We also came for dinner one night, we all left full and happy, I had the 'Stew Special' which was Lamb stew w/pint, guinness bread and soda bread for 10 euro and i'd have to say it was the best stew i've eaten.

Thanks very much again to Debbie for being so helpful.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

The room was okay. It was clean, but the TV didn't work (but who goes on vacation to watch TV?).
The only issue was how incredibly loud it was, it was a front facing room that looked out onto the street.
It had been around 25-28 degrees out that day so it was impossible to sleep with the windows closed, but the traffic kept both me and my friend awake all night. Even at 3 am you would think it was rush hour.

The hotel is close to lots of sights and is very easy to find (even if you have no sense of direction) but I would have to give it a miss if I was visiting Dublin again in the warm months.

• Stayed September 2014
Kildare, Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014 via mobile

Recommended the hotel to friends, I had stayed there previously , staff are great , fun and accommodating , location is ideal and close to all tourist spots , can't beat it for value for money , best Guinness and proper authentic irish craic

• Stayed September 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The staff were very friendly but the rooms were not good. Clean enough but lots of things not really working and seriously in need of renovation. Food and service was very good but the pub didn't really rate compared to other Dublin pubs. The accomodation is completely overpriced.
However, it's in a very good location for enjoying all the attractions of Dublin, and it does have the feel of a traditional Dublin pub, which it is. It has a great deal of faded charm and the staff are really lovely and also very charming. I'd probably stay there again when it's cheaper and if I could have the same corner front room facing the river.

Room Tip: I was first given a room facing the rear which was really awful. Ugly view, noisy air extractors and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My first ever solo holiday so I thought a room above a bar would be safe, which it was. The staff were amazing and kept me company as I was finding my feet. My room however was shocking, the mattress was stained as were the carpets. The bedding was worn and splitting at the seams, there was a great big chunk of enamel missing off the bath. Most of the lamps weren't working which meant I had to keep the curtain open which was a worry as it looked like there was building work going on outside and there was a ladder across my window the whole time I was there. It was by no means the cheapest hotel and the food, whilst adequate was very expensive, I felt like taking my salt and pepper pots into the kitchen for the chef as seasoning was certainly lacking. Had anybody ever asked me why a couple of times I left half my meal I would have told them but no one ever did.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to O'Shea's Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!