“Quite unique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John Kavanagh (Grave Diggers)

John Kavanagh (Grave Diggers)
1 Prospect Square Glasnevin, Dublin, Ireland
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
New Zealand
“Quite unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

If you're after a pint, my landlady at my B & B reckons they do the best Guiness in Dublin, owing to the careful way they tend their pumps etc. But if after a meal, try the awesome tapas on the restaurant side.
The pub itself is very old and genuine - no live music; the emphasis is on conversation at Grave Diggers which is VERY popular.

Visited April 2014

Dublin, Ireland
“Great Guinness and fabulous Tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This place is a little out of the way but defintely worth the effort. The Guinness is among the best in Dublin (if not the best). The Tapas was really tasty and great value. We had 4 hot tapas between two people and it was plenty and it means there are loads of different ones to try when we go back again. One thing, if they had more tables for two people, they wouldn't have had so many people waiting at the bar. It seems mad to have 2 people sitting at a huge table that could easily sit 6. We got one of the only tables for two. I'd recommend being there when they start serving food at 6pm.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Phenomenal dessert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had a mixed-berry crumble and apple tart for dessert. The food tasted and felt VERY homey, and the whipped cream was made with actual cream, without sugar added. It was fantastic.
The service is just as great, it's a family-run establishment, and definitely feels like one!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Zug
“Great pint of Guiness - authenticate atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stepped into Kavanagh's and wasn't sure what to expect - given that it is attached to a graveyard. At first I thought I had stepped in through the wrong door but I was quickly greeted and encouraged to step beyond the first swinging doors. The interior is old and worn and the tables and benches were scratched and uneven - I wouldn't have it any other way! It made for an amazing experience and great place to enjoy a couple of pints of Guinness - which is the thing to do at Kavanagh's.

I enjoyed what is in my opinion the finest pint of Guinness I have ever had. The people were friendly and I made some new friends. Unfortunately I went to Kavanagh's on a Monday and they weren't serving any food (which I hear is pretty good). Be sure to call ahead and check if they are serving dinner/tapas. It's a great place to go and well worth the cab ride out of the city center (I hear the Guinness is better in the north side of Dublin - I don't know, that's just what they say and I so far I can't disagree).

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bordeaux, France & Dublin, Ireland
“Nice pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Came here for food but they said they only serve food Tues to Sat. Was here on a Sunday and had toasted cheese/tomato/onion sandwich in the lounge. ( the pub side is more traditional, the lounge was quieter). It was really nice to have something homely like a toastie.

Tourists had arrived the same evening looking for "dinner", only to be told they did not serve dinner on Sundays. They then ordered wine...I felt bad because this pub is more to experience a pint of Guinness and an old style of Irish pub experience. It is a local style pub with neighbours, families, groups of friends hanging out etc for a chat.

Visited April 2014