“Glad we knew the right way to travel” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #227 of 612 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Irish Ferries, Ireland's Leading Ferry Company. Offering up to 16 daily fast ferry and cruise ferry sailings to Britain & Ireland and France. Also package holidays to Ireland and Britain.
Dublin, Ireland
108 attraction reviews
“Glad we knew the right way to travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Friends have used this, and other ferry services between Ireland and the UK, and France and UK so we were forewarned 'how' to do this well.

We prebooked our reserved seating upstairs, and enjoyed great seats, power for our electronic devises and free wifi for the very fast trip across the pond to Dublin.

We also booked priority car service, so we were one of the first on/off the ferry which made a huge difference, tho they certainly pack the cars in! There was very little room to open doors to get in/out of the car. Not sure how older people, or parents with toddlers would manage.

The crossing was uneventful; good weather .... so all in all a pleasant experience tho I'm very glad we did it the way we did, as there was organised chaos below with people trying to find seats for their family group; people sleeping across 3 seats; sharing tables with card playing blokes while others were simply sitting with their kids on the floor.

As one person before me said, surely there's a seat per ticket?

Craigavon, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
“Jonathan Swift - One seat would have been nice!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Travelled on this boat recently. Staff were all very helpful. Crossing is relatively quick but there the positives end.
Surely there should be one seat somewhere for each passenger. The main seating area was full. Some passengers were lying across three seats. Some seats were clearly marked 'reserved' but empty. The stand from Dublin to Holyhead is fairly long no matter how fast the crossing.
For me the ultimate insult was to study the rolling video on the large screens as I stood.....this screen ran an advert for the 'Club Class' area upstairs. The images showed beautiful red leather seats very inviting and very empty. I went upstairs to look into this advertised area and sure enough - empty seats and plenty of them. I find this type of advertising somewhat sick. If irish Ferries thought I might be tempted to part with more money at this late stage the answer is 'No Thank you.'
To break up the long stand I thought I would try the outdoor section at the rear of the boat. This area is clearly divided between Smoker and Non Smoker. Signage is a little confusing but adequate. I stood (again) in the Non Smoking section only to be subjected to smoke and plenty of it.
To watch passengers downstairs enjoy fried breakfasts - many of whom ate with their fingers and then proceeded to wipe the surplus grease all over the fabric on the seats was one way to pass the time. Another way would be to watch as litter is left lying as children mess around.
I appreciate that Irish Ferries do not ask people to lie across seats nor to smoke where they shouldn't, nor to leave litter or mess up seats ... BUT they could employ staff to police the situation and deal with it accordingly.
Rather than sell every last seat perhaps a good idea would be to hold a percentage free OR even to warn passengers before embarking that they may have to stand and offer a full refund would be good manners.
I would hope that Health and Safety is maintained and policed at a much higher level than the aforementioned. A quick count of the people on board divided across the visible lifeboats makes for scary mathematics. To be fair perhaps not all lifeboats are visible.
My experience here took me back about 25 years in ferry travel.

Alice Springs, Australia
1,076 reviews 1,076 reviews
575 attraction reviews
2,660 helpful votes 2,660 helpful votes
“Pleasant smooth cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We were lucky enough to have a beautiful clear day to cross over from Wales over to Dublin. Food and drinks are a little expensive which is to be expected, although the shopping centre was actually very reasonable - especially the alcohol. I see other members rated bad experiences but our was very good.

Thurles
“Foot Passengers Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Abolutely disgusted by Irish Ferries treatment of foot passengers.
We got the train from London to Pembroke which arrived on time but at 14.15 We booked the 14.45 ferry
But it took another 15 mins to walk ( no taxi's available ) to the terminal
Our ferry left 15 mins early at 1430 and the Irish ferries staff had vanished knowing there were foot passengers still to arrive ( aport worker told us this.)
When I complained to Irish Ferries they said they were aware of the problem of the train not arriving in time for the ferry but they do not warn foot passengers of this .
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO TRAVEL FROM LONDON TO ROSSLARE WITH IRISH FERRIES
WITHOUT ENCOUNTERING THIS PROBLEM. only Stena Line will get you there.
Irish Ferries told us it was our (passengers) problem and nothing to do with them.
Also terrible wifi and overpriced food!

Visited June 2013
Kilkenny
“Change in fares”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We booked in February 2013, at a promotional rate. We paid a 100 euro deposit and the balance in July. We sail in a few weeks, and out of curiosity checked the current price. We were horrified to find that if we booked now, the fare would be 150 euros cheaper. Further, we had very limited choice on accommodation availability when we changed the date of the return journey. But this evening there was much more choice. All very puzzling.