“Will decently be back.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Halfway House

Halfway House
Ashtown, Navan Road | Navan Road, Dublin Dublin 15, Ireland (Formerly Halfway House)
+35318383218
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #681 of 1,884 Restaurants in Dublin
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Halfway House has been a popular establishment for over eighty years. Over the years it has been modernised to the highest standards of traditional decor including open fireplaces, function room and restaurant.The Halfway House is famous throughout north Dublin area for its friendly atmosphere, its efficient and courteous staff and its high quality carvery food.The Mulberry Restaurant is open Wed-Sat for A La Carte & early bird menu. On Sundays we serve Lunch and A La Carte.
“Will decently be back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I live not to far away from the Halfway House I would usually dine out in Castleknock village but decided to try somewhere different. Myself and my girlfriend headed down to the Halfway. We had a few drinks before the meal. I had a pint of Bavaria and couldn't believe the price it was only €3.60 in the bar! Nothing wrong with that :) We were going to go to the resturaunt but decided to stay in the lounge as we were comfortable. We had the wings to start I had the bbq sauce and my girlfriend had the frankie sauce hers was nicer! I then had the burger it was awesome and she had the fish which she said was very tasty. There was a good buzz around the pub. We didn't try the desserts because I was leaving room for more Bavaria ;) the waitress was a tall dark haired girl and was super friendly. We will defently be back and will hopefully try the resturaunt next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“Very very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our second visit to this restaurant and after this experience I would never go back. This restaurant has really nice staff and the décor is lovely but we were served really poor overcooked food. We were just looking for a main course and both decided on herb crusted cod and veg. we also ordered a side of fresh veg. We were brought bread and it truly resembled sawdust. Very dry and tasteless so we just left this on the plates. The cod was tasteless but ok but it was simply coated with breadcrumbs and not a herb in sight !The baby potatoes that accompanied the meals were undercooked and the vegetables completely overcooked and were simply mush. It was really the side of vegetables that did it for me. We had no idea whatever of what was on the plate. The veg had a brown colour and it could have been carrot, parsnip or whatever. It was unrecognisable. The waitress asked if our meal was alright and I told her the problem, it was obvious as only the fish was edible. The manager apologised and offered a dessert which was really not much good as we really had not had a dinner. Overall I would consider the evening a disaster ! This restaurant has great potential but it would really need to address the food

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“So good that we went back the same day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

As my partner and I got caught in the rain on our way to the zoo we decided to stop off here for a drink while the shower passed.

We loved the time we spent at the bar! Got chatting to the barman, who was originally from The North, and a few of the locals - one of whom trains guide dogs and the other is a reptile enthusiast with some very interesting stories! This place is so welcoming that one of the men we were chatting to even bought both of us a drink! (Thank you!)

After we had eventually been round the zoo we returned here for some dinner. There were so many options to choose from! They do a restaurant menu, a carvery and bar food.

One of the waitresses did seem like she was circling for tips as when we were ordering drinks from the bar she insisted she get them for us personally instead, despite the barman not being hugely busy... We managed to shrug her off when we went into the restaurant though.

We decided to go for the early bird menu. The food was delicious, and the portions very generous! There was nothing I didn't like, and I am an incredibly fussy eater!

I highly recommend this to everyone!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Pensacola Beach, Florida
“Service was a little crazy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This place has very good food and a great atmosphere. However, the service was strange!! We had to wait a long time for someone to come to our table. ( it was not busy). When we finally got someone at our table, she was as friendly as a box of rocks.
Took forever for our food to come out. But I must say it was a very nice dinner. Can't complain. I will actually go back. But hopefully will have a different server.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chico, California
“Very comfortable place, good food, good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We went here a couple times during our week visit to Dublin. We spent our time in the bar and ate from the carvery. The carvery is good food and lots of it. Reasonably priced for the amount you get. Service people were friendly and attentive keeping our pints full. A nice comfortable place to hang away from city centre.

• Visited July 2013