“A memorable birthday dinner.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #801 of 1,891 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“A memorable birthday dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriends mother bought me a birthday voucher for a meal here. Managed to get a table with a fantastic view of Dublin Bay. We got a serving of wonderful brown bread, (so nice we bought some to take home). The starters of scallops and home made pâté was spot on. The main of steak was amazing. I like steak and am often disappointed when I eat out. So much so that I rarely order steak out. This is one of the rare times I've eaten steak which actually might be better than mine!!

Service was great too. I'm a little perplexed by the bad reviews on trip advisor but will be coming again. Maybe people are getting the cafe upstairs confused? Maybe it's the Clontarf massif getting snooty.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“Wont be rushing back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Saturday - 6pm - no reservation - 2 people

We were accommodated - 4 couples / groups after us were turned away because restaurant fully booked.

Only 6 other customers in the restaurant while we were there

We had seafood chowder, lamb burger and fish & chips.

The chowder was bland, the lamb burger was a struggle - left half the burger and the complete bun on my plate, the chips were tired and not crisp and crunchy as you would expect when you are paying €18 for a burger and chips.

The one saving grace was the fish which was excellent.

Service was good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“A Salty Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was treated to a dinner here and thus cannot comment about the price, but the food had all the right stuff in genral and too much salt in particular. I had a seafood soup that was wonderfully rich and salty. My hake was the same. I do like my salt for sure, but even so, too much of a good thing. My dessert of sticky toffy cake was extraordinarily good and I'd go back for that alone.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
dublin
“Nice food, appalling service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went here for an early dinner today, it was very quiet so the waitresses weren't very busy, but despite this, they weren't very friendly. Food was lovely, but at the end of the meal, our 1 year old vomited (not because of the food, turns out she had a bug coming on). We notified them about this and we cleaned up everything, all the waitress had to do was disinfect the highchair and table (which i hope she would be doing anyway, vomit or no vomit) but we were made to feel very unwelcome and like a nuisance. So despite only starting our coffee, we paid and left as soon as everything was cleaned. We felt bad enough about our child being sick without being made to feel worse by the waitresses. They were more interested in catering to the other visitors to the restaurant than making sure everything was ok with us.

Also, in the changing facility where I went to change the baby into clean clothes, there were 3 chairs placed in front of the changing table, making it very awkward for anyone with a baby to make use of it. If you don't want to cater to children, don't offer high chairs and people will get the idea. Don't pretend you cater for children when really they're just a nuisance to you.

Don't think we'll be going back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent Food & Ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Had dinner here with family last night and it was a really excellent choice. I have been here on previous occasions and because it is a small restaurant it felt very crowded. Last night we were really lucky because it was a quiet night (Thursday) and only half filled. We were welcomed with a cool glass of prosecco. The food was excellent. We were a party of 5 and had delicious soups, mussels which were best I ever tried, prawn bruschetta for starters and 3 of our party all opted for salmon main course and again said it was one of best dishes ever. I had a well done steak which was cooked to perfection without being over-cooked. None of us had room for desert but there was a mouth-watering selection to choose from had you been in the mood. I would certainly recommend this restaurant and possibly go on an off-peak night if possible. Lovely staff too.

• Visited May 2013