“Average hotel experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cliff Town House

You added The Cliff Town House to your Saves list
The Cliff Town House
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   22 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, Ireland (South City Centre)   |
Ranked #42 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Average hotel experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife brought me to The Cliff Town House on a recent Friday for my birthday and had booked The Cliff Town House Experience (1 night B&B inc allowance towards evening meal and glass of fizz upon arrival) 1 night package.
Upon arrival at around 4.30pm we went to reception to find no receptionist, we waited for approx 5 mins before she came back and did not apologise for keeping us waiting and no mention of the glass of fizz! After checking in we were told that our room was on the 2nd floor - not strictly correct or helpful as we climbed 5 flight of stairs taking a couple of wrong turns as there, are no signs anywhere, finally arriving at our room out of breath from the climb! Perhaps this is the hotels idea of a gym. There is no lift so if you are not into climbing lots of stairs this is not the hotel for you!
The room was of a reasonable standard but certainly not of a luxury standard that the price should reflect. There was no tea & coffee something that should be offered free in the restaurant if not provided, no bath robes, not enough towels of of a big enough size, no additional pillows, loose handle on bathroom door & a very firm bed.
We were booked into the restaurant for dinner and went to reception for our booking and were shown to our table (still no sign of the fizz) and this is where our experience improved dramatically finding the staff to be excellent as indeed was our meal. When the bill arrived there was no mention of our allowance off the total so I felt that I had to mention this to our server and also the fact that we had not received our welcome fizz. - he apologised and deducted some drinks from our bill and also applied the allowance. The breakfast the next morning was also of a very high standard and I would definitely recommend the restaurant.
When checking out the same receptionist still didn't mention her mistake of the lack of fizz.
In summary I would not be able to recommend staying in the hotel especially at the price my wife paid as there are much better hotels in Dublin at this price range (indeed we have stayed in much better for considerably less) and would recommend that the receptionist is better trained in the art of customer care at this level as she didn't seem to be focused on the hotel guests at all and indeed it felt like the hotel rooms are a bit of an inconvenience in general and the restaurant gets all the focus.
For the price my wife paid we did not get value for money in either accommodation or service and as such will not stay here again but would go to the restaurant again that said there is potential for the hotel side to be of high quality as the building is lovely as is the location but will require some investment and staff training.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PaulFinegan, Manager at The Cliff Town House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear GlenDublin,

I was very disappointed to read your review.
The references to the reception desk being unattended and not serving fizz was the result of two key members of staff being unexpectedly absent this week in separate sets of circumstances, beyond our or their control. While we did make every effort to address the gaps we did have some fallout. This is more by way of explanation than excuse and I am sorry that this may have effected your stay. There is however no excuse for anyone ignoring you and please be assured I will address that.
We are currently upgrading the bedrooms and we do take all of your comments on board. We do have a lift to the rear which would have reduced your climb somewhat however because of the restrictions of the period building it would not bring you to the top floor. I am pleased that you enjoyed some elements of your stay and hope that on that basis you decide to give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly should you decide to return.

The Cliff Townhouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in the Cliff town house last Friday night - it was my Husband's birthday and we had heard wonderful things about the restaurant so I booked a room and off we went. I choose the B+B evening meal and fizz on arrival package. We arrived at 4pm to find the reception unmanned. A member of staff was lurking behind the glass door but declined to attend to us, waiting instead for the receptionist to come back from upstairs - about 5 minutes. She was very polite and booked us in then told us to go up to the first floor and follow the stairs round. We did this - what she declined to tell us was our rooms was on a different flight of stairs, 6 flights up. There was no lift and it took us quite a while to locate the room. There was no fizz in the room. The room was clean and spacious (without the tea and coffee making facilities aforementioned) but nothing special.
We went to reception to see where our drinks where but reception was again, unmanned.

We went out about in Dublin and returned for the meal - which was absolutely amazing. The staff in the restaurant were second to none and the food was just delicious- We had Tempura prawns, crab risotto, Rib eye and béarnaise and black sole - just wonderful. We mentioned to the Restaurant Manager about the allocation towards the bill and the lack of drinks on arrival and he could not have been more helpful - instantly taking the amount off - he was unaware we were "guests on a package".

Breakfast the next morning was also held in the restaurant and again the standard was superb - flawless food and service.

I will certainly be back to the restaurant but not to stay - it is advertised as a hotel but there is no service in the room and it really is too expensive for what it is. Better reception, service and lift would all help, more boutique cosmetics and taps not falling off the sinks would go a way in attempting to justify the price, which even the location cannot make up for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We literally walked in off the square - after booking straight out of our first choise of hotel - and couldn't have been happier! What a fantastic place! Friendly staff and a beautiful setting. Breakfast was yummy - and so were the cocktails. The young woman on reception Was delightful - and the only doewnside was that they didn't have the room for more than one night - however, the woman on reception (Laura?) found us another hotel for our last 2 nights - vey helpful. A lovely start to our Irish Honeymoon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Readdread,

Thank you for your review. Pity we didn't have a room for the other nights however we hope to be welcoming you back, this time next year perhaps?- feel free to contact me directly,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I usually stay in one of the more established chain hotels for work, but owing to availability I ended up staying here.

Positives:
- Reception staff were efficient and welcoming
- The room was decently presented and a bonus balcony (albeit no actual view)
- The non-cooked breakfast was very tasty
- Fast check-in and check-out
- Superb location
- Very well priced
- Beautiful dining room with music that felt a very comfortable way to start the day

Negatives:
- No coffee/tea facilities in bedroom (unless you request)
- No ironing board/iron in bedroom (unless you request)
- There was a lot of 'junk' outside my bedroom door on the top floor
- The lift was out of order
- A cooked breakfast would take 30 minutes and only 3 tables were occupied in the dining room. As a business traveller, this was too long to wait.
- The reception staff was having a very public argument with the chef about service and who should be doing what. It felt very uncomfortable
- Woken up by a noisy drilling sound at 7am
- TV reception was fuzzy
- There was some mildew in the bathroom

I would stay here again for price and location and give it a second chance after the breakfast issue as a one night stay could be totally different next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear brob 11,

Thank you for the feedback and be assured that we have reviewed the in room amenities and are in the process of upgrading. Some of the bedrooms were painted before the summer season and the balance are near completion. I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay. There will be ongoing improvements to the building over the course of this year and I do hope that you afford us another opportunity.

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

An absolutely gorgeous venue. Ideal location, friendly staff and divine food.

Room Tip: Our room was quite dark as there was no ceiling light.Also if you're a light sleeper ask for a r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Olive 3591,

Many thanks for the positive review.
We look forward to welcoming you back,

Deputy General Manager
The Cliff Collection
County cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed in the cliff house and from the start I was disappointed, the exterior is the best part, once the company had made the booking I waited 5 days for the booking receipt as the hotel kept using an incorrect email address finally a confirmation was sent after numerous calls. Once I arrived I was presented with a discussion at reception between 2guest and the reception person telling them that ther was a booking error on the search engine and they could only accommodate them 1of the 2nights, I felt sorry for the 2guest as I was expecting they travelled a long distance or may have flown in to Dublin, the party then proceed to the rooms I then said hello and told the reception person my name and was handed a key.

No room markings or signs to tell you where the rooms are , it's like a big maze of stairs up and down (lift was broken) it was borderline requiring GPS to find your room. Once I found the room it was looking over the green which was great, but the room was old looking lacking character, it had a safe, tv, and radio, 2bottles of water, the bathroom was poor, black mildew on the ceilings and around the bath plastics shower curtain, the shower was brilliant very powerful but too low down grand if u were a little old lady or about 5 foot, the bathroom products were very poor as per ther website I was expecting high quality for example Morton brown etc
The WIFI was hit and miss but when it did work it was great, later in the evening I looked at the room information book, just photocopied black and white sheets the menus for the dinning room was poorly copied you could only read parks of it, what was the big disappointed was ther was not Tea Coffee available in the room when I rand reception to ask could I get Tea I was told in the restaurant up to 11pm when I went down They offered to bring me up tea which was great but basic, a biscuit with it would have been the answer.

I ate in the restaurant on the second night and the food was very good,
What really annoyed me was on the second morning when I ordered breakfast ther was various opens, the breakfast is good first morning I had ceral, smoked salmon and orange juice and coffee which was outstanding second morning I decided fresh fruit, breads, and smoothie of the day, the waiter took my order and came back to tell me the chef did not have the time to make me smoothie as he was busy, now this stage ther was only 3in the dinning room, I felt sorry for the waiter as he was only passing on the message.

I had previously stayed for a week with friends in ther other hotel in ardmore and I was expecting amazing service in this hotel but it's not the case, on my return to my room to collect my bag etc the public area and stairways was covered with white sheets as the painters were in

In my opinion this was money badly spent as ther is better 4 star hotels in Dublin for the cost

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Paul F, Manager at The Cliff Town House, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Maclers,

I am sorry to see so many issues highlighted and please be assured that I have spoken to my management team and we are actioning each one.

We are undergoing refurbishment and the signage which in many cases was painted directly onto the walls has been painted over - we are now ensuring all temporary signage is checked daily. We will be addressing the bedrooms in coming weeks, when the painting in the public areas is complete, and intend to paint the bedroom and bathroom ceilings and introduce tea and coffee making facilities. We are also currently addressing the wifi issues.

Thank you for your feedback and should you decide to give us another chance I feel you will find the experience much improved.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Finegan.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in early January . Our first night away from the kids in 4 years . It was easy to find and the Stephens green car park wasn't to far away. We checked in fine( lovely receptionist ). Finding our room was a nightmare (what a maze) but we had a good laugh over it . The room was very average we stayed on the top floor overlooking the park . The door handle came off in my hand as I opened the door, the ceiling in the bathroom had mildew on it , the carpet was stained and the room in general needed a revamp it was just very tired . The bar is nice but on the night we stayed it was very quiet and there were no staff around , we had to wait 25 minutes to get a drink needless to say we didn't have a second. On the positive side the breakfast was good and freshly cooked to order. Would I stay again ? no ! much better hotels in the same price bracket I'm sorry to say .

• Stayed January 2012
Paul F, Manager at The Cliff Town House, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Oduibhginn,

Thank you for the feedback and I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room, we are currently undergoing some refurbishments which do involve addressing the issues you mentioned.
In terms of the difficulty you had navigating the building - we do have two sets of stairs which can be a little confusng however it is part of the character of No 22 and dates back to when there was a rear staircase for the servants.
Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously and I was pleased to see that you did enjoy some aspects of your stay. I hope that you reconsider your decision and feel free to contact me directly should you wish to give us another chance,

Paul Finegan.

Been to The Cliff Town House? Share your experiences!